Sign in to follow this  
Guest tonyc

Need desperate help with 3dmax texturing!

Guest tonyc

I am over my head and tired of looking at the electra model. For some reason, I am able to export the textured model as an s3d file.I am then able to use the FLY2 keyframe editor to import the s3d file. Everything appears normal, except for a few objects that "do not have a texture". When I load the model, however, I receive a "SMaterial:: load-corrupt". In fact I cannot open FLY2( having the electra as the default plane)without getting the same error. I'll be happy to send the *.max file and see where I've gone wrong. I confess that texturing, uv mapping and the entire 3d max material editor are finallly driving me out of my mind, especially after spending many hours adding texturing. I've gone back to the model without textures, and for some reason, even this one does not work well. This was not always the case. I've done something wrong, and have no idea as to how to trace my steps. And fatigue has set in...I am happy to say that I've stabilized the flight model. So, if I could get a textured model out, I'd be ready to upload the alpha.tony

Guest detector

Hi Tony,Texture mapping also drove me mad in 3DSMax. I used the hard way of detaching each part, textured it and re-attached, then welded the vertices. Then I started with Gmax, and read some excellent tutorials, and started using the UUW unwrap function. It`s nice! First, I texture the whole model with a multi-texture bmp. Then I apply UUW unrap to get the right parts of the texture on the right place, without having to attach/detach the parts, then collapse the stack. The procedure is exactly the same for 3DSMax and Gmax.If the Material Editor gets messy and starts to nag you about maps/textures that you don`t use no more...just re-texture the model with a simple texure...done! You can check how many maps/materials in use with "File-Summary Info" (or something like that) :) Here`s a link to some good UUW Unwrap info: http://www.simviation.com/gryphon/tutorials/gMax_10.htm