Sign in to follow this  
Roger Mazengarb

Truespace 3.2 ........... Caligari download

G'day all, Get it whilst it's available. Truespace 3.2 is an amazing 3d program and thanks to Chris Wallace ( author of TS2S3D (available in Avsim hangar site) ) it can be used for models for Fly! II. This is the full blown ridgy didge complete version. NOT A TRIAL VERSION. A few years ago it would have sold for $$$. Now Caligari are offering it for free. It also comes with the trueview plugin which is a nice plus.http://www.caligari.com/products/truespace/ts3/ Cheers,Roger

Roger,Yes, it is an amazing program.Caligari deserve all credit for offering it as a free download.It's a pity more companies don't offer early versions of current programs or even programs that they no longer sell as free downloads.What do they have to lose?If one is a professional graphics designer one would naturally want to buy the latest version of such a program but for those of us who just like to 'mess around' and wouldn't contemplate buying such a program it is great.Microsoft should take a leaf out of Caligari's book.:-bluegrab

Guest roland_lfor

That's great !I remember, I used one of the first version around 1989 or 1990 on my Amiga computer (Commodore) !(Also my first sim was F18 Hornet on the Amiga 500 - 1988)- roland -* AirFeedback 1.0 ** DragPoder 1.0 ** SquawkBox 3.1 *

Guest Fly II Pilot

Roger,I just noticed the bridge you're working on and that you're at over 15,000 vertices. Instead of actually modeling the structure, you can use transparent textures (they do have some transparency limitations) for the sides and for the top of the bridge. This would save you thousands of vertices and polys, thus improving your frame rates but at the expense of quality...Take care,Alexhttp://www.avsim.com/hangar/fly/dfdg/banneraa.jpg

G'day Alex,Ah you noticed.! :-) I made the bridge in Max about six months ago and just for the heck of it imported it into Truespace to see if truespace would accept a max model.. Went in no problems!The bridge was made to fit my custom Sydney scenery.I have the model placed in Fly! II and it really isn't such a drag on fps but yes there are other methods. I followed Steve's posts about bridge building with great interest but since the bridge is so close to the approaches to the airport. ie will be viewed close up and personal :-) I decided to go for detail.Just as a point of information there are about 150 boolean subtraction processes in the arch. It started life as a solid blockof steel. :-lolIn the attached pic there is a background concrete arch bridge, the opera house, circular key warves plus buildings (David Arrowsmith) and the outside forward view frame rates aren't too bad. Cheers,Roger

G'day Alex,< Why are you waiting to share that >I'm not sure if you mean the scenery or the models. About a year ago I advertised in the forum and did try to distribute the scenery via CD to anyone who requested it ( about 6 from memory) Unfortunately it didn't work on other peoples machines.! I'm not sure if the problem was my CD burning or my file management. I'm no programer and I'm not certain of exactly what files I needed to include. Must have left out something essential. :-) What I can remember is that it's hundreds of Mb, far far too large for Avsim library. ( I'm only on 56K dial up ) Sydney is one of the airports in Fly! II that suffers runways/taxiways being underwater. What I basically did was to open the coast.pod and DELETED ( you can now modify the file using Terrashape) the Sydney coastline file from the pod. I actually did all this BEFORE Terrashape was perfected. Then I used downloaded shapefiles and with the help of Terrashape, Turbocad and Terrascene I created a complete new tile and coastline. As to the models I guess I'm my harshest critic. Perhaps overly so :-) My models (plenty of mistakes) just aren't up to the level of the guru's Vince Scimones and Bibers ; but if you think I should then by all means I'll be very happy to upload my poly hungry monsters :-) Cheers,Roger I

Guest Fly II Pilot

Roger,I meant both the scenery and the models...I remember when you were trying to modify the coast lines. Do you remember that I sent you some trials?Anyway, what you have to do is POD all the related files in the data folder, attach the .scf (not in the POD file), put both in the scenery folder and it should work... How large is the file podded and zipped?Regards,Alexhttp://www.avsim.com/hangar/fly/dfdg/banneraa.jpg

G'day Flyfisher,Have you had a go at fixing Auckland's watery runways,?? You should as now with Terrashape the process is relatively :-) simple. It enables you (with a cad program) to modify your coastline. You may also require Elronds converter from the Avsim library to change the underlying attribute of the texture.As to my system it is the following;AMD 2400Asus A7V8X-XAlbatros 5900 (NVIDIA) video card (set to anti alias 4X and anisotropic 2X)512 Mb 2100 DDR ramWindows 98SEPlus all the other bits and pieces that go to make up a computer. :-)Have a go at Auckland ( and I'll be a regular visitor :-) )Cheers,Roger

G'day Alex,I've checked my emails. I have 9 from you and nothing about trials, mostly to do with Dauphin beta. Doesn't mean you didn't send - just that I don't have :-) . I don't actually have any recollection of what trials you could be talking about?? I've checked my Fly! II files (for size). For my scenery to work! the following are needed.globe.pod 301 Mb (I have altered underlying attributes of tiles)Coast.pod 215.8 Mb (was 215.9 Mb - I removed the Sydney (tile coastline file. Can't have two coastline files. One in the Coast.pod and one in the scenery folder. If you do the one in Coast.pod takes priority (and that's the problem coast :-) )). This actually reversed my problem!! Now instead of having sinking runways I have solid water :-lol in places. I can live with that ; it just means that if I overshoot and run off the end of the runway I can just turn around and taxi back to the runway :-) YSSY.pod 249 Mb ( my Sydney tile Terrascene pod )yssy.scf in data folder I have 124 DXXXXXX directories (6.43 Mb) for all aussie airports A - K. plus the airports in my sydney tile (Sydney, Bankstown,Hoxton Park,Camden,Richmond,Heathcote). However I wouln't know which directory is which airport ( so upload all )Data folder 6.43 MbModels folder 109 Mb ( needed to cover all the models at all the (airports in the data folder)The files below I'm unsure as to exactly how I achieved the results I have, as I did so much editing with Deximport that I lost track of what I actually did :-lolSo I don't know what I would have to include to get the following to work for others.NavigationIlsTaxiwaysRunwaysIt all works for me with just one little bug. If I take off from sydney and return to land on runway 07 I find the ILS is at the far end (wrong end) of the runway, but if I file a flight plan and fly from Brisbane to Sydney and land on runway 07 the ILS is correctly located and puts me right over the piano keys at the near end of the runway. Go figure.So far that's over 800 Mb ( don't know what it would zip to but 500 Mb would be a guess - still big by any standard.)I WILL upload the model bridges as an *.mlf file.Well there you have it Alex - any ideas as to how I can get my scenery to others as I'm still willing to mail off CD's if anyone wants it. I'm just a little lacking in technical expertise :-) Cheers,Roger

Roger,I'm still trying different methods to improve local scenery.Using data from Arc explorer and Terrascene doesn't provide adequate elevation detail as everything still looks too flat.I have yet to try Fonchy's method for photorealistic scenery described in his tutorial. I am still waiting to get better photos to use.His recent SRTM data of Sth Norway and Sicily looks to be very good.Like you I find it very confusing as there appear to be many different types of data, not all of which can be processed by Fly.Perhaps one of the experts could summarise what is optimal amongst the various free downloads for the different areas of the world and what utilities (if any) are required to convert to a Fly-friendly format.I was very pleased after I did the area around Jackson Hole Wyoming using TS2 but sadly I seem unable to get such good results close to home as the data I have found so far hasn't the resolution. Anyway I'll keep trying as I would like to add a contribution to the scenery available for Fly.:-wave