Sign in to follow this  
Roger Mazengarb

Ultrasound with a no-nonsense attitude.

G'day all,Just a couple of pics of my latest baby under construction with Truespace. It's definitely a boy! ( you can see the the little bits :-lol ) Amazingly I read that 349 of these (all variants) were built and found service with British, German, Indonesian and Australian Navies.Cheers,Roger

Guest tonyc

Fantastic, Roger. have you converted it into a s3d file and imported in FLY yet? I would hate to see you do all of this work and not be able to import. The import feature in FLY2 is very tricky: it doesn't tell you why you have an error when you try to import. It's important ,therefore, as a newby, to gradually import your model into FLY2. I have spent countless hours retracing my steps after an error and not being able to import. I've taken a rest from the Electra and am working on the emb120,which is the emb120 for FLY! converted for FLY2.Here you see my struggle with the engine.:-)tony

Guest CaptainJ

Hi Tony,try to make the engine out of two cylinders one for the intake and one for the engine enclosure. after that attach both cylinders together and weld the vertexes where there shoud be a smooth surface near the cowling doors. That helped me all the time.. It's looking good guy's keep it up!thanks for sharing Roger.

Guest tonyc

thanks, Jarno. As you know, the 3d max climb is very steep! Any advice you offer is like a glass of cold water on a hot day!tony

G'day Tony,>Fantastic, Roger. have you converted it into a s3d file and>imported in FLY yet? I would hate to see you do all of this>work and not be able to import.NO I HAVEN'T. It's not quite ready to import but I have high hopes :-) Even if I can't I'm enjoying the hobby, and learning all the time :-) Believe it or not I actually ENJOY the virtual aircraft modeling. I used to be an avid radio control modeler many many years ago. >The import feature in FLY2 is>very tricky: it doesn't tell you why you have an error when>you try to import. It's important ,therefore, as a newby, to>gradually import your model into FLY2. I have spent countless>hours retracing my steps after an error and not being able to>import.Yes I've heard this before from Jean in his tutorials. One of the problems is isolated vertex's or vertex's that are too close together and require welding. Unfortunately Max is notorious ( my conclusion )for producing these ; especially if you use the boolean operator. When I cut the widows in a model I had to spend a fair bit of time tidying up these loose bits.>I've taken a rest from the Electra and am working on>the emb120,which is the emb120 for FLY! converted for FLY2.>Here you see my struggle with the engine.:-)I don't know how to help here mate. I'm only a raw beginner myself.All my cowls ( and fuselages as well ) are made by establishing the largest cross-section of the cowl and deforming a cylinder to that shape. Then simply extrude forwards from the forward face of the cylinder and rearwards from the rear face of the cylinder, reshaping the extruded faces as you progress, and remember that you can use +ve or -ve numbers to reverse the direction of the extrusion (at any given time), for both the radial (extrude from centre)and logitudinal extrude operations. Of course you need a background pic of the cowl to copy over.The above is probably what you are already doing; if so then all I can say is patience and practice, practice, practice. :-)Not much help am I :-lolJarno's suggestion of using multiple primatives never even occured to me. I'll keep that tip in the back of my mind. Thanks Jarno. Cheers,Roger

Guest tonyc

Yes, Roger. I find the modeling rewarding as well. And it's a hobby. We must not forget, however, that we have FLyers hoping to see our work FLy. I use TurboSquid forums for some of my questions on max. It's a great site for modelers. The idea of making the engine from two cylinders is good. The intake, however, requires a great deal of modeling techniques to get it just right.As for importing models into FLY, am I to assume that Chris will help when the time comes?tony

Guest CaptainJ

It's always a nice moment to see your model in Fly!, When you pass the editor offcoarse ;-) I love modeling aswell. I made several things which I never released, I used them more for learning the technique in Max. There are several ways to make something. Just make sure you don't overdone your model keep in mind that the maximum limit is 100 parts and near the 20.000 poly's if your model is overdone scrap some detail parts (like on the gears, antenna's etc) I told this before but If you have broadband go over to www.3dbuzz.com sign up (it's free) and you have free traning video's for Max (not for Truespace sorry) and Photoshop it's well explained.make sure before you import in the editor that your fuselage is the body part and everything is linked to the body partname. Most of the times I get a warning that the model has incorrect vertexes but it doesn't affect the model, I just ignore that warning message..also messages about the parts are missing TGA textures doesn't affect from importing into Fly! when you see the model the part is just covered with a mix from the complete TIF file. It can be corrected later....

Guest tonyc

Jarno, thanks for the site for the tutorials. It's funny. For the engine, it took me a couple of days of fumbling around,not being able tofigure out anything. Then this morning, it all seems to go well. Thanks for the tips.tony