Sign in to follow this  
flyfisher

DEM data / Terrain Mesh

Firstly, I have found some DEM ASC file data for NZ and wonder whether it is possible to use this in FlyII?Secondly, is it possible to convert NZ Terrain Mesh (Christian Stock's) for MSFS2K2 to a format that Fly II will recognise?I am still trying to create some NZ scenery for Fly II but the elevation data in some shapefiles I downloaded wasn't any good at all.Thanks for any help,:-hmmm

Guest roland_lfor

Hi,You can find SRTM dem here : ftp://edcsgs9.cr.usgs.gov/pub/data/srtm/Then you can merge a few one with 3DEM (also fill holes), export as a binary and use 3DemBin2Ras (available in the Avsim lib) to convert to a RAS file that can be imported. The read me of 3DemBin2Ras will give you some tips.The SRTM is the best dem source available at the moment (90 meter resolution).Use 8x8 and 50 feet during importation and see the result !Tell me if you need help.- roland -* AirFeedback 1.0 ** DragPoder 1.0 ** SquawkBox 3.1 *

Roland,Just noted this change to the site location.Attention SRTM data users:Research grade SRTM "unfinished" data has been moved and is no longeravailable from this FTP site. Effective December 1, 2004, these data maycontinued to be obtained free of charge using FTP at the following URL. ftp://e0dps01u.ecs.nasa.gov/srtm/

Guest danieletona

>Firstly, I have found some DEM ASC file data for NZ and wonder whether it is possible to use this in FlyII?-Yes, it is possible.>Secondly, is it possible to convert NZ Terrain Mesh (Christian Stock's) for MSFS2K2 to a format that Fly II will recognise?-No, it is not possible.Have you read the private message that I have sent you?Dan

Dan,Thanks.Yesterday I tried to open the message but wasn't able to and on trying again was told there were no messages.

Guest danieletona

Hi Flyfisher,write me your address e-mail.I send you some "files".Dan

Guest roland_lfor

Thanks for the new link !- roland -

Roland,The new link is weird :-)Sometimes I get a box message saying that I need permission to access the site. If I'm persistent it just eventually gives up and lets me in. Needless to say I have quickly downloaded the 4 folders that I may want in the future.Thanks Cheers,Roger

Roger,I also found that I was requested to login and so went looking elsewhere to try and get data without any luck.I'll try again and be persistent like you!The SRTM data that I presume Fonchy used for Norway/Sicily has also (according to the website) been released for Oz and NZ but I was unable to find it.:-beerchug

Roger,I have managed to download two sets of data and so look forward to using it and seeing the result.Did you read the documentation which explains the difference between Motorola and Intel byte order?:)