Sign in to follow this  
zfehr

Another look into ATC communications

Hello die hard Fly developers,I have been messing with a voice recognition ATC software package for FS2004 called VoxATC developed by Tegwyn West in the UK. I was curious if any of you had taken a look at this program and what the possibility would be of making a Fly/FlyII version? As many of you found the default ATC didn't work well, FlyScripts and C4TO are more usable but the standard recordings get old pretty quick and they are not region specific. ATCsynth, a program Didier Rigault from ROTW worked on in 2002 actually had a lot of promise but there has been no further updates. I am thinking that a merging of the work done by Didier with further enhancements and utilizing more recent work in voice recognition would really add some life to FlyII. Voice recognition had to be in Richard's mind for this program because there are entries in various settings files that mention it but alas computers of the time never quite caught up with all of the innovations he had planned for FlyII.Zane

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

Private Pilot ASEL since 1986 IFR 2010

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

G'day Zane,Any improvement to ATC for Fly! II would definitely be welcomed I'm sure as it is an area of weakness in Fly! II , but I don't quite follow what you hope to achieve with voice recognition, which as I understand it is the translation of the spoken word into a command to the sim. This is still very very much in the experimental stage in real life.Maybe I'm not on the same wavelength :-) , could you give an example of what use you would want to put voice recognition to?Cheers,Roger

Hi Roger,If you also have FS2004 on your computer you can download a demo of the VoxATC program that will allow flights between three US airports so you can experience what I am writing about. What this ATC program does is use intelligent agents for each phase of communications; FSS, Clearance, Ground, Tower, Departure, Center, Approach as well as communication at non-tower airports so Unicom and traffic announcements are handled. Tegwyn has done a very nice job of integrating all of these features into a very realistic ATC simulation that handles IFR and VFR flight. The added benefit being that he designed it from the outset to use voice recognition instead of keystrokes. Since the program is expecting certain phrases, (ie who you are talking to, your location, your intention, your callsign) the recognition works very, very well. I haven't asked Tegwyn if he has any interest in trying to port his program over to FlyII since he has so much time invested in this and it is a payware product for MSFS. I was hoping to get the Fly crowd to take a look at what he has been able to do and then go see if it is possible to do something similar in FlyII. Interesting how after four years of MSFS development FlyII still has an enthusiastic following, great add-ons keep being developed, and those of us that love this sim know that it still captures the magic of flight better than anything else out there.Just needs good ATC :)Best wishes,Zane

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

G'day Zane,Sounds like a great program but I wouldn't hold my breath waitng to see it transported to Fly! II ( even if it is possible ). The trend is definitely in the other direction with payware. There just aren't the numbers to satisfy the payware developers investing their time.Cheers,Roger

Guest roland_lfor

Oups forget, it I read the post too quickly :-ukliam - roland -

Just thought I'd bring this back up. I wrote a review that Avsim accepted on their main site. I do feel that this kind of work would be possible with FlyII. ATCSynth was using SAPI 4, updating to SAPI 5.1 would give a little better voices (albeit less for now) and flexibility. Don't know why there wouldn't be interest in developing a voice recognition ATC simulation into FlyII.Zane

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888