Sign in to follow this  
Gridley

Troubles with shape files...

Gents and Gentettes,I'm having some issues trying to make watermasks with TS21 using non-usgs data. Here's where I'm stuck:I go to http://geogratis.cgdi.gc.ca/CLI/frames.html and click on land use. I've been downloading the UTM projected files for the eastern provinces as described in the TS21 docs - I'm trying to render the St. Lawrence seaway right now, but I'd like to apply this method to other areas outside the continental USA...First, is there a free converter for the E00 files to create shp files? I've been using FME, but the demo is expired, and I thought the USGS DLGV32pro would do it, but I get a "functionality not available until you register" message.Second, in viewing the data in those E00 files, I don't see much that looks like high-resolution shorelines defining lakes, rivers and bays - should I be using a different data set if all that I'm interested in is hydrology and making water masks?Thanks in advance for any tips!Best,sg

I7-7700k@4.7ghz | 32gb RAM | EVGA GTX1080 8gb | Mostly P3Dv5 (also IL2:BoX, DCS, XP11)

Guest detector

Hi there Scott,I also used FME. You can use it for an extended period, you just have to turn your system time back for a while. ;) But there is a new, great too for this job, Terrashape by Colin Sare-Soar. Download it from here: http://www.avsim.com/hangar/fly/colins2/I never had great luck with converted E00 files for Land Use, so I downloaded the ESRI shapefiles directly. Used ArcExplorer to view them, today I`m using Globalmapper (payware) for such tasks. Now, regarding the hydrologic data, I hope somebody else can jump in here!

Guest jgill

Hi Scott,there is a free converter for E00 to SHP. Its name is import71. You can grab it here.http://software.geocomm.com/translators/arcview/Now, which shape files do you need for Canada ? I have them all. If you want some help on the land use data, I can help you too ! But resulting scenery cannot be sold.Joel

The data that I'm looking for would be the equivalent of the USGS 1:100000 DLG hydrology that TS21 downloads automatically. I found the Land Use data from GeoGratis' digital land inventory very coarse in its resolution, so something a bit more accurate than that, but I might just be doing something wrong. I wish CLUMP data was available for the whole country!Thanks for the link, Joel. If you'd like more info regarding what I'm doing, drop me an email (it's in my sig, along with a link to what i'm doing - FREEflow), but rest assured, I have no interest in selling any of the resulting scenery...Best,sg

I7-7700k@4.7ghz | 32gb RAM | EVGA GTX1080 8gb | Mostly P3Dv5 (also IL2:BoX, DCS, XP11)

Guest jgill

Scott,I did play with geogratis data with TS2.1 2 years ago, would not to be hard to go back and relearn basics. For my work, I use sbuilder.I cannot let go pure shape files data, but I can produce targa TS 1/50000 resolution for Canada if you want.I re-did all the lakes, rivers, streams, rail and utility here in Quebec at 1/50000 and I am currently working on scenery north of Quebec city at 1/20000 with 10 meters DEM, very pleasant.Joel

Hi ScottI use Terrashape to convert the E00-Files to shapefiles and then FGIS to alter them.You can find Terrashape on the AVSIM hangarsites --> Fly! sites --> Fly! Utilities.Harald

Joel,Is it alright if email you? or, please email me directly - my address is in my sig. I've got just a few globe tiles that I'd need with Canadian data - I could even send you my TS21 project file with the border of the project defined, and output settings set - I'd just need watermaps too, and the tga files can be converted to bmps to make them smaller...That would be excellent.Thanks in advance,sg