Sign in to follow this  
Guest detector

Gmax export to 3DSMax - I just did it!

Guest detector

Hi all,My main 3D tool these days are Gmax. And I thought it was a pity I could not move my models over to 3DSMax in order to still throw in a Fly II scenery model now and then.Well I just found out...thanks to Quake3. :-hah I downloaded MD3 exporter and 3D Exploration (a very nice program) from here: http://gearheadheaven.racerplanet.com/miscfile.htm(The dll is to be placed in GmaxStdplugs).And fortunately, I read a tip about what to do before exporting at a German site. Here goes:Open Gmax, bring up your model. Go to the toolbar on the right side, choose "options" (the hammer symbol). Then use "Reset Xform" on your model, then collapse the stack. Export the model as a Quake3 .md3 file. In the window that comes up...just fill in your Gmax model name in the "Keyframes" section. Close Gmax.Now open 3D Explorer and navigate to your .md3 model. Hit the "export" button and export as .3ds. Then, open 3DSMax and import it. I just tried this with a huge suspension bridge and all went well. OK I got 3 times as much vertices as the Gmax model, but it was just a matter of welding the whole model (tolerance 0.1m), and I ended up with exactly the same amount vertices as the Gmax model.

Guest detector

Alejandro,I don`t have a clue! :-eek I have absolutely no experience with animation or animated objects. But if I can get a model to test I can do it. Got all the Gmax "bibles" here, so I just need a simple model!

Guest Chris Wallace

Hi Andrew,Interesting, but I'm curious, if you have 3DS Max why not just use it in the first place? I thought that Gmax was pretty much a stripped down version of Max?How much interest would there be in a converter for MSFS .MDL aircraft model files to TRI S3D files? In order to export .MDL from Gmax, you'd need either FS2K2 or 2K4 to get the gamepack. This might be an alternative to the free trueSpace 3.2.Chris WallaceOttawa, Canada

Guest tonyc

Chris, In order to speed up my aircraft development, I've used existing mdl files, used the mdl to dxf converter and then imported it into 3ds max. The results have been erratic, due to the converter less than robust "conversion". A direct mdl to tri s3d would be great as well as getting a better understanding of what abacus fs design studio's limitations are in converting its files into s3d. It works ok with everything but the animation part. I confess I never was able to understand it as it related to tri exports and specifically in getting the moving parts to work. tony

Guest detector

Hi Chris,The reason for using Gmax is very simple: FS2004 has become my main "sim", and I`m going for X-Plane as my second alternative. Gmax is almost full "fidelity"...as I can see its just like 3DSMax, except from lacking the rendering engine. So the nice ting is that I can now convert one of my FS models now and then, and throw in here, instead of making them all over again. Well I have to re-apply the textures, but thats no big deal. I never tried mdl conversion, but my new method here works like a charm, I`m sitting here with my first Fly II model for years, perfectly converted and imported. :) BTW: The 3D Exploration program I use is a 30-day trial version, so registration will (eventually) cost me $40.

Guest Chris Wallace

Andrew,It'd certainly be great to be able to piggyback on all of the MSFS design activity out there, I wish there were more folks like you who are willing to share with the Fly community too. The roadblock for most people though is not the $40 conversion program but the thousands of $$$ for 3DS Max....Chris WallaceOttawa, Canada

Guest detector

Chris,I did comment on the tough prices in here years ago, in a rather harsh way. :+ But what can we do about it except from keeping on looking for solutions. As is I found a "close" one, and its nice to share it, especially in a mature community like here. Regarding 3D Explorer...have a look at it. Seems like it can do many conversion tricks, it`s worth a 30-day trial.

Guest chezz

can you post some screen shots. Just curious.chris_Ca

G'day Chris, These are current Aussie prices3ds Max 7.0 $5489.00upgrade from 6.0 $1239.00upgrade from 5.0 $2025.00upgrade from 4.0 $2339.00You've hit the nail on the head.Any proposal that involves the use of 3ds Max is no solution at all.AND do the TRI plugins work with the latter versions of Max??There's 5,489 reasons why I'm over the moon with your Truespace converter :-jumpyCheers,Roger