Sign in to follow this  
Roger Mazengarb

propeller problems................

G'day all,The propeller on an aircraft I'm makeing is animated and spins in the correct DOR but it only spins at approximately 30 RPM. If anything it slows down slightly when I open the throttle. Anyone know what I'm not doing. I've looked at the prp and eng files but can't see anything obviously wrong ( to me :-) ) Thanks for helpingCheers,Roger @YSSY

G'day Alex,< with just the LOD file changed?..>No! I extracted all the Cessna world files (21 I think) to the WORLD folder. Renamed them Jabiru.* and made quite a few changes.I vaguely recall something about a graphic of the spinning prop required but I can't find any referrence to it in the world eng,ngn or prp files.Cheers,Roger

Guest Fly II Pilot

Roger,It's in the ENG file, under the entry. That's where you indicate the part names that are used for the spinner (which should be called that way anyway), and the names of the blades.In the NGN file you need to change the entry to the renamed prp file.In the PRP file you can define the aerodynamic data of your new aircraft.In the NFO file, did you change the entries to point to the renamed files in your world folder?Take care,http://www.avsim.com/hangar/fly/dfdg/banneraa.jpg

Guest laurentC

Also you can use the Debug Window engine data to check out where the problem are ...laurentC

G'day Alex,>It's in the ENG file, under the entry. That's where you>indicate the part names that are used for the spinner English; she is a funny language; No! I must be the only person on the forum who thinks that a propeller "spinner" is the streamlined cover that is secured over the central hub of a propeller. :-)What a totally inappropriate (ambiguous) use of terminology by TRI.Thank you for shining the light. :-)Cheers,Roger @YSSY

G'day Alex,Not yet , I haven't tried but I guess I have to make a disc in truespace and name it spinner, and then apply a pure black texture to the disc with the fuzzy/streaky blades painted on the disc. That's only a guess. :-) When I get around to it I'll take a gander at the Cessna file. So in effect the actual prop rpm doesn't change but only gives the illusion of a rapidly spinning prop.I'm busy tidying up the interior at the moment. Also had a minor disaster and completely screwed up the model. Luckilly I had an earlier version saved, but it set me back a bit.I'll get back to you if I get stumped :-) ( I'll be back )Cheers,Roger @YSSY

Guest Fly II Pilot

Roger,"I guess I have to make a disc in truespace and name it spinner, and then apply a pure black texture to the disc with the fuzzy/streaky blades painted on the disc."NO!!! Fly! does all that for you.The spinner IS what you described in your previous message (what covers the hub). It's just that you need to make sure that the blades are named properly, that thay are attached to the spinner (as children), that the spinner's part name IS spinner, and that it is attached to the "body". Then, in the ENG file, you leave the spinner as is (because that's the only way you can call it), and then enter the blade names (unless you called them the same as the Flyhawk).If it still doesn't work then there's something else going on.Keep in mind that the only time you'll see the actual blades is when the engine is stopped, during startup (when the turn slowly), or at very low RPMs (with the "streak" effect). At high RPMs, the spinning effect doesn't change much (if at all). What Fly! does is show the spinner turning, and then takes the blade textures, "streaks" them and makes the texture spin, thus causing the motion effect.Hope this clarifies how it works.Take care,http://www.avsim.com/hangar/fly/dfdg/banneraa.jpg

G'day Alex,Thanks for the detailed explanation. It confirms my findings.I stumbled my way through the *eng file and despite the best efforts of some weird thinking programmer I managed to sus out whats going on. The following is a very small extract from the eng file (with some rather caustic rems by me) -- Spinning parts-- rem: Name a part of a propeller that Doesn't spin. :-) This would be better named "propeller assembly" because what you have to do here is declare ALL the parts of the propeller assy. Spinner Rem: My propeller is a heirachy structure with the parent part named "prop". It doesn't have to be named spinner. This spinner is NOT the aircraft propeller spinner. It is the name TRI have given to the propeller assy. (spinning object)Ok rant over. It's been a heck of a frustrating day :-)Thanks for the help. I still have to remake the prop as I made a one piece fixed pitch prop and fly! doesn't like it. It wants 2 separate blades.Cheers,Roger

Guest Fly II Pilot

Roger,"what you have to do here is declare ALL the parts of the propeller assy."If it's a fixed pitch prop then you only need to define the spinner in that field. Unless you have other things spinning with the propeller (you never know... ;-) ). The blades are entered in the other section further down.Take care,http://www.avsim.com/hangar/fly/dfdg/banneraa.jpg

G'day Alex,>>"what you have to do here is declare ALL the parts of the>propeller assy.">>If it's a fixed pitch prop then you only need to define the>spinner in that field. Unless you have other things spinning>with the propeller (you never know... ;-) ). The blades are>entered in the other section further down. "Et tu Brutus" :-lolYou can name the "spinner" any name you like. TRI simply confuses the issue by calling it "spinner" which is a name already in use by a component part of the propeller assy. --- spinning parts -- Prop --- pitching parts -- Blade1 --- pitching parts -- Blade2 --- reverse Keyframes for spinning parts -- --- reverse Keyframes for Pitching parts --In the above extract from the Jabiru.eng file. Prop is the parent part of the propeller assy.Prop has 3 child parts -spinnerblade1blade2Even though its a fixed pitch prop I found that I still have to define the blades under Pitching parts. It's from here that the fanning effect is sourced. This was the reason why I wasn't getting the speed up effectAll well that ends well. The prop now works as it should. :-)Thanks.Cheers,Roger

Guest Fly II Pilot

Roger,I thought you meant that you were going to enter it as this: --- spinning parts --Prop --- spinning parts --Blade1 --- spinning parts --Blade2 --- reverse Keyframes for spinning parts -- --- reverse Keyframes for Pitching parts --But I see you got it right...Take care,http://www.avsim.com/hangar/fly/dfdg/banneraa.jpg

G,day Alex,Now I'm hopelessly confused. I don't know what was going on.It was working fine with the spinning part named "prop" but I did some changes to the model in Truespace and had to produce a new s3d and import into the editor and then the prop wasn't spinning.I went back into Truespace and renamed the prop assy ( ie spinning part) to "spinner" and in the eng file changed the tag value to "spinner" and once again (this time with everything as per the original Cessna settings) it's all working fine. :-)Anyway it's all part of my continuing learning curve ( does it never end :-lol ). I'm just starting to get a glimmer of an idea of what Tags are all about and how you can add/remove tags to modify operations. I've managed to add a control joystick to the cockpit interior and get it to move in conjuction with the flight controls. Thanks for your continuing support and encouragement.Cheers,Roger