Sign in to follow this  
Guest laurentC

VECTOR MAP (KINDA) RESPONSE

Guest laurentC

Hi all,I finally completed and prepared an ecw example of airport chart (ecw+map) for ksfo.http://rotw.simvol.org/beta/KSFO_ECW/030205_KSFO_AIRP.zipI still have a tiny offset ... but it is surely caused by some hand coordinates calculation error !We can ease this painful process programmatically, but almost two pixel points from bmp and two relevant coordinates have to be inserted and the ecw compression has to be made.Cheers, laurentC

Guest tonyc

Excellent, Laurent. This pretty much addresses an aiport map which is needed during taxi under live ATC. I will study this example very carefully. Now...how do we line up the plane icon more accurately......tony

Guest tonyc

these calculations are a real nuisance.... There must be a tool available for these calculations....tony

Guest laurentC

Hi Tony and all,Making a tool for those calculations is not a big deal. I will prepare a dialog one for the ecw method and add the airplane icon to the pbm method.Cheers,laurentC

Guest tonyc

Laurent, that was quick! I like the accuracy and the podded files. The ability to add more magnification would be great. As you know, there's a response delay between rudder movement and the plane icon orientation while taxiing. Only a highly magnified map reduces this delay, thus preventing the FLY2 airplane from zig zagging during taxi under ATC control. tony

Guest laurentC

Hi all,As planned here a tiny tool to prepare map file when you've prepared an ecw file.It's quite easy to use ... I tested it with KSFO and LFPO but it isn't comletely tested with other airports.http://rotw.simvol.org/beta/Project_Airpor...P_HELP_v1.0.exehttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/108614.gifNow : testing the result I noticed that we have a bounced position in the KSFO ECW airport chart I sent previously. I tried again both hand made and automatic map file and the jump occurs anytime I am around the center of the chart (where the 4 runways are crossing each others).Do you experimented the same problem ? Is there a solution ?This is the map file :http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/108615.txtCheers,laurentC

Guest danieletona

Hi Laurent,probably it is due to the "register point" that they have put in casual way.The points are usually brought in the file MAP following an order:left - > right and tall - > low (as in the image).The points of the UR and LL (coverage area) are not registered. ----begin map ---- ---- map name ---- KSFO_AIRP_CHART_TEST ---- size in pixels ---- 1144 930 ---- map type ---- 5 ---- ECW file ---- KSFO_AIRP.ecw ---- tile size ---- 256 -ll-ur-- coverage area ---- 37 35'N 122 25'W 37 39'N 122 20'W 2 2 ---- register point ---- ---- x,y coord ---- 225 245 ---- lat/lon point ---- 37 37'31"N 122 23'26"W ---- register point ---- ---- x,y coord ---- 1070 633 ---- lat/lon point ---- 37 36'48"N 122 21'25"W ----end map ----Dan

Guest tonyc

thanks, Laurent. I'll let you know.Tony

Guest laurentC

Thanks Dan,I do need to make some extra test to complete the map file tool, though ! But it's clear now we have to follow a filling order ...Seems to me a lot of stuff for Chris's Wiki Web Site !Cheers,laurent

Guest laurentC

Hi all,With the great advises of Dan and Chris, I finally have the map file tool working well !I need to compile the last modifications and I'll send the file asap.Cheers,laurentC

Guest tonyc

How timely, Laurent. I took the day off from work, so I can "play" with your tool. I am using a program, Brava Reader, to convert pdf to jpg. Then the jpg is converted to ecw with Irfan View image viewer. I tried using the plug in for Paint shop Pro, but it does not recognize my version( 8.10). In order to get the pixel coordinates, I simply load the jpg into PSP. I will work with this tool, but I need to know if the zoom feature is possible. As I mentioned earlier, for precise taxiing high magnification is a must. So either we magnify a bit more the original pbm map, or.....tony

Guest tonyc

Laurent, as I study your pbm map of ksfo, I notice that the lat-long lines are perpendicular to the image--so, when I view the image I see the lat-long lines up and down and left and right, all at 90 dgs to the image. The runways are at an angle. The ksfo.pdf has the lat-long at an angle to the image. I am just curious to know why these are different, at least in terms of layout. I find you pbm easier to read-study than the pdf.tony

Guest laurentC

Hi Tony,Two answers :- magnification is not possible in PBM as Chris sayd earlier ... too many technical difficulties, then we must resample our pictures in order to see the signs distinctly. ECW files allow a huge resample and the zoom display in Fly! allows to reduce the view (not increase !). Then the ECW is the best method for zooming (kinda) ...- as ECW and PBM files need to be north oriented I just captured the pdf area then paste it in PSP and finally rotate it to have my N directed to noon.BTW I tested the PBM method with VAC charts and it works too (besides why should have it not ?)Take care,laurentC