Sign in to follow this  
Roger Mazengarb

Pod problems.......same as Tony's

G'day all,I'm at a loss and need help.The Jabiru pod that I uploaded to the library works fine on myclean installation of Fly! II (European - in which the pod was made)) but the same pod when transferred to my everyday flying version of Fly! II causes a CTD when I switch to outside view.What is the difference between pod 2 and pod 3?Can anyone please offer any suggestions as to what the problem might be.Cheers,Roger

Guest Jan

Hi Roger.I have found the problem,but not sure how to fix it.It's not a POD problem,but a enviorment mapping problem.I normally have that on for all AC,but due to recording some movies with Fraps,I skipped it to save frame rates.That's why the Jaribu worked the first time.I turned EM on again yesterday,and got the CTD when going to the outside view with the new Jabiru.Also with the old version,that worked earlier.Then I checked the Microsoft error report.It have a problem with TRI8dx.dll.It works fine without EM turned on in the Scenery menu.Or as I tried also,turning off the EM on the model parts themselfe in the editor.Then it works with EM selected on in the menu.Hope it helps.I'm not into modeling,so someone else have to take it from here.Take care.Janhttp://www.avsim.com/hangar/fly/dfdg/bannerjh.jpg

G'day Jan,Thanks for the detective work Jan. Yep its enviromentmap=1 in the fly!.ini that's the problem. The fresh clean installation has environmentMap=0 as default. That's why it worked fine for me.I have an idea as to what the problem might be so I'll investigate.Cheers,Roger

Guest Chris Wallace

Roger,Yes, this may be due to the environment map settings generated by the trueSpace exporter. I don't think I've implemented proper handling of environment mapped materials, so I am sure that I'm just assigning either on or off (not sure) to every part. There are probably some parts that Fly2 doesn't want to have environment mapped. There are two parts to the solution. First, I will see if I can make an enhancement in the converter to look at the material properties to see if the part should be env mapped. Second, we need to determine which parts can be env mapped and which ones can't so that you'd be able to set the material properties in trueSpace accordingly.Chris WallaceOttawa, Canada

G'day Chris,I tried reloading the model into the Fly! editor and then selecting parts properties and individually switching OFF environment mapping for all parts and resaving the model.The model was then invisible :-eek (except for the spinning propeller); the model still causes a CTD if environmentMap=1 and an outside view selected.Thanks for picking up on the thread.Cheers,Roger