Sign in to follow this  
Guest Shalomar

What files for wheels?

Guest Shalomar

Donny AKA ShalomarFly 2 ROCKS!!!AMP is for systems, PNL for guages, VLT and others for weight/positions, but what file determines the number and placement of wheels?Their is a float 172 with wheels, but the physics of floats installed in the library. My idea is to put retractable landing gear in to make it amphibious. The Staggerwing would be even easier, since it already has retractable gaer and a float version exists. At this point the visual models are beyond me, I would just provide the physics.Some more ideas I have are to make the floats nonoperable fuel tanks. When sitting on the water, the weight of the floats would increase slowly, simulating water seeping into the floats which would have to be pumped out as part of preflight.If that can be done, maybe a DLL that would cause fuel balanced between all tanks to be added at a certain rate if you are within X distance of a fuel pump, your engine and all fuel pumps are off. To stop the flow of fuel, turn on a fuel pump. Maybe the requirement to have your engine off could be waived if in contact with another plane, possibly paving the way to aerial refueling on multiplayer.I told Orville and I told Wilbur, that thing will never fly...Best regards, Donny

Guest Chris Wallace

Donny,You're looking for the WHL file.http://flylegacy.dyndns.org/twiki/bin/view...rcraftContainerUnfortunately I haven't had time to continue fixing and updating these pages lately.Has amphibious gear that works properly on both land and water been done yet? I know several groups have tried to get it working over the years, but I'm not sure if anyone ever succeeded.Chris WallaceOttawa, Canada

Guest Fly II Pilot

Gents,Laurent and Ken are testing the Seawind and I think they're almost there. It's not easy and a DLL is required (sorry Mac users). It seems that TRI never contemplated the possibility of having floats and wheels... The good news is that TRI did provide a way to handle almost anything through the SDK.Take care,http://www.avsim.com/hangar/fly/dfdg/banneraa.jpg

Well, Seawind will be close... but far as getting gear to raise / lower like say - the Renegade in MSFS series while in water to land or reverse, still a lot to be worked on in that area. But I wouldn't rule that one out entirely! ;-) In a couple of tests, I *can* get the wheels to lower in the water with the current dll version, but she then sustains damage to the float defined wheels. But this indicates that it should be possible. The only thing I cannot get to work so far is to raise the wheels while in the water. COuld be something to persue at a later date with ROTW (the geniuses that they are!)... see if they can make it happen. Cheers!Ken Wood :-sun1Seawind Projecthttp://www.avsim.com/hangar/fly/dfdg/bannernewkw.jpgGateway 700X; Intel P4 2.4GHz; 512MB RAM; NVIDIA Ti4200 4X AGP 128MB; SB Audigy; Thrustmaster TopGun Fox 2 Pro Shock

Kenneth E Wood Jr  🌪️🌩️

ex AG1, USN (14yr Vet) Weather Foecaster

Guest Shalomar

Donny AKA ShalomarFly 2 ROCKS!!!Amphibians are fascinating. I will explore the avenue of separate wheel/floats versions. To take off on water/land on land or vice versa, switch aircraft. The float version would have a nonoperable landing gear switch in the upright position, or none at all. The Otter causes a conflict when switching to the B200 on the ground: "catastrophic damage" then "cannot match wheels, saved game invalid". The otter has a modified default panel with gear switch, though it is fixed-gear. There would be the option of applying fixes to later versions of these "dual version" amphibians to make them "true".The U.S. distribution center for the Beriev 103 is right on the way to the beach for me. Am working on a photo session. I have a DEFINITE apointment already for a Lear 35 when it returns from a charter in two weeks. I could use suggestions to get the most out of it. Have arranged loan of high-end digital camera. I have spent years working at KABE as an inflight caterer and and "airport bumming" at Queen City Muni. Thru contacts with my friends, I could easily get sound files if I can get access to an MP-3 recorder for prolonged periods. To avoid rental expense (how much for a Lear?) my friend Wes would carry it in his shirt pocket on a flight he would perform anyway.Best regards, Donny:-wave

Guest laurentC

Hi all,We have tried many things for an amphibious gear but always there was a little problem that make it work not properly.At the end, only one solution achieved the goals we have fixed : a dll that take control of the height before the gear or body actually have contact with the water level. That was neat and simple but not so easy to implement though, because Fly! have a strange behaviour when at water level ...It's a real shame we couldn't find a way without a dll : we were very near a neat solution with a retracted nose gear (with two fake retracted wheels) and two transparent fixed rear gears. This solution could have been THE solution if Fly! would have authorized a differential gear retraction behaviour, that is, the possibility of a nose retracted and two rear gears extended ... but unfortunally, Fly! considers all the gears in the same state : all retracted or all extended and we can't mix them whatever we try.I say that because, if a Fly!III would ever be proposed, it would be a great benefit for all of us, having a separate gear state behaviour.Anyway we have the dll solution that works fine, but our Mac fellow will be left aside ... one more time !Cheers,laurent