Sign in to follow this  
Guest paradoxbox

A couple of questions about developing photo scenery.

Guest paradoxbox

Hello, I'm currently working on a scenery project and I was wondering if I ask a few questions..Firstly, is there a way to have Fly2slice.exe slice my scenery manually, -WITHOUT- having to be in Fly!II itself? (I.E. not the control+e editor). The reason is that when you press ctrl+e and slice, if you alt tab out of Fly!II it stops slicing. This means that I'm losing valuable development time every time I need to experiment with a texture.Second, is there a better way to align photos with the runway? I have TerraShape and have exported shape files of the region I'm developing, however I can't figure out how to get Terrascene to render the runways in the shape files into the .tga file. If I could see the runways (Even if they were just painted as black lines or roads) I could probably finish this entire region in a few days. Anyone able to spell it out for me?Thirdly, is there a way to insert only tiny portions of a piece of scenery, and have the rest automatically default to water? I'm thinking purely to reduce the slicing time. For example; I'd like to take my photoscenery .tga file, cut away everything except the area immediately surrounding the airport, and replace it with black (or white, or whatever color that defaults to water in Fly!II).I make a lot of adjustments but the slicing is really time consuming, and figuring out how to line things up is killing the project- I just don't have enough time in the day to repeatedly slice and adjust the texture allignment.Any help is very much appreciated!

Guest Colins2

Hi,1st question:Yes, you can run flyslice without running Fly!.This is what TerraScene does.Once you have rendered your image with TS2 just run flyslice from a command prompt. flyslice -i yourtextfile.txtIf you have any spaces in the textfile name simply enclose the name in quotes. I guess that this will continue to slice in the background but I can't be sure.2nd question:Use the mapping function of TerraShape to map your runway areas to a texture and then use the TerraShape created file when you run TS2.TS2 is excellent but it is designed for US data. This is all mapped internally. Todd was kind enough to send me the mappings for the data which I then incorporated into TerraShape.3rd question:Yes, I did lots of this when developing TerraShape.Simply use the mapping function as above just for your small area and then use the TS2 mapping functions to set everything else to a solid colour of your choice. This will probably be quicker than setting it to a water texture.CheersColin

Guest HeliFLYer

Hi,I added a function to FLY!2Tweaker 1.6 (new version the next days with one but correction in another function 1.7) to make all files for slicing and the scenery folder (inputfile for fly2sclice.exe and *.scf-file) and start fly2sclice.exe through it:>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>*** MAKE SLICER-FILE, SCF-FILE AND RUN FLY2SLICE.EXE FROM THE TOOL ***If you have a *.TGA texture file, the coordinates for the lowerleft and upperright corner (and optionally an elevation-file, a water-mask, a night-texture) you can create the inputfile for fly2slice.exe and the SCF-file (which you must have together with the created POD to put them into the scenery-folder) quite easily.And you can run the slicer directly from FLY!2Tweaker without firing FLY!http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/115785.jpgThis function is only used by me until now, no other user reported about it. So please contact me if there are errors and it would be great if you mailed me if you used it successfully!RegardsGeorg HeliFLYer EDDW

Guest Colins2

Hi Georg,That looks interesting :-)Excellent idea.Colin

Guest HeliFLYer

Hi Colin,thank you for your words. You should have FLY!Tweaker 1.6 already , I mailed it last week (home address). I tested this function with several of my Landsat7 TGAs and datas and it worked fine - but no other tester until now, therefore might be "surprise, surprise" :-)RegardsGeorg