Sign in to follow this  
Roger Mazengarb

adding clock to panel......?????

G'day all,I'm following the Fly! II Gauge Referrence Manual and have entered the code for a two hands analogue clock into the .pnl file for an aircraft I'm making. The problem is that the code for the aclk Analogue Clock seems to have absolutely no effect whatsoever. No CTD no nothing??? Do I have to make some other entry in another world file???? The description of the gauge states that it is a ctwoneedles class gauge and that it inherits its data tags from it's parent "2ned" where ever that gauge is hiding? All help really appreciated. And I thought learning 3d modelling was tough. :-)Cheers all,Roger

Guest Chris Wallace

Roger,No the gauge should be standalone, it should not require a connection into an AMP file subsystem. Did you use an existing gauge, from the STRMAIN.PNL or TRI200.PNL as a starting point? The fact that it inherits from CTwoNeedleGauge just means that all the data tags for that class are also applicable to the gauge. In this case it means the and tags are used to specify the two needles for the hour and minute hands.Can you post the code snippet of your gauge?Chris WallaceOttawa, Canada

G'day Chris,>No the gauge should be standalone, it should not>require a connection into an AMP file subsystem.>This is what I thought> Did you use>an existing gauge, from the STRMAIN.PNL or TRI200.PNL>as a starting point? >NO! I'm using the TRI40.pnl (Hawker) as my base .pnl file. There is a digital clock ( which I haven't yet removed) but in the .pbm file for the panel is a nice analogue clock. I just want to add functioning hands to the analogue clock> The fact that it inherits from>CTwoNeedleGauge just means that all the data tags for that>class are also applicable to the gauge. In this case>it means the and tags are used to specify the>two needles for the hour and minute hands.All I did was to manually enter the code, exactly as written in the referrence manual, as an addition to the TRI40.pnl file. I was hoping that would work? It is difficult to distinguish the 1 from the l in the hardcopy printout though.>Can you post the code snippet of your gauge?//////////////////////////////////////////////////// Analogue Clock - added for Vampire////////////////////////////////////////////////// === Analogue Clock Gauge Entry ===aclk ==== Begin Gauge Entry ==== ---- unique id ---- clk1 ---- x,y,xsize,ysize ---- 49 144 55 55 ---- bitmap needle ---- ==== BEGIN NEEDLE ==== ---- needle centre x,y ---- 27 29 ---- needle entry ---- smal ==== BEGIN BITMAP NEEDLE ==== ---- shared needle ---- ---- base bitmap name ---- needle3 ==== END BITMAP NEEDLE ==== ==== END NEEDLE ==== ---- bitmap needle ---- ==== BEGIN NEEDLE ==== ---- needle centre x,y ---- 27 29 ---- needle entry ---- tiny ==== BEGIN BITMAP NEEDLE ==== ---- shared needle ---- ---- base bitmap name ---- needle4 ==== END BITMAP NEEDLE ==== ==== END NEEDLE ==== ---- light ---- plit ---- mask ---- pnmask20.raw ---- help ---- Analogue Clock ==== END GAUGE ENTRY ====//////////////////////////////////////////////////// Chronometer (clock) - pilot//////////////////////////////////////////////////Thanks for looking at this Chris. Obviously the position will have to be adjusted to place the hands over the clock face.Cheers,Roger @YSSY

G'day Chris,A million apologies!!!!!I'm an idiot. Just fired up Fly! II and low and behold the clock hands are there. Why I couldn't find them last night I don't know. Old age galloping up on me at a great rate of knots I fear. :-)They are however not very White. In fact they are a very greyish colour. Is there any way to make them whiter???Sorry for the panic session.Cheers,Roger @YSSY

Guest Chris Wallace

>I'm an idiot.Hey, that's my line!!> Old age galloping up on me at a great rate of knots I fear.>:-)Yes I know the feeling :-)>They are however not very White. In fact they are a very>greyish colour. Is there any way to make them whiter???You would need to create new needles. Rather than explain it here, I've started a Wiki article here:http://flylegacy.dyndns.org/twiki/bin/view.../NeedleTutorialChris WallaceOttawa, Canada

G'day Chris,Great tutorial! Even I could follow it. :-) Using that tutorial I could make some real fancy pointers.Just one thing. I use a program "PBX maker" by Matthew Horridge which converts 8 bit .bmp files to either pbm or pbg files. It works well; I've never had a problem with it. If you'd like a copy I'll email you one. It's a very small program. Fly! Graphics does have problems converting bmp's to pbm and pbg files.Thanks for the tutorialCheers,Roger

Guest Chris Wallace

No problem Roger, I wasn't able to get it completely finished last night but you get the idea. Sure, send me that converter, did Matt upload it to AVSIM? I just use the command-line converters from TRI but it never hurts to have another way of doing things!Chris WallaceOttawa, Canada

G'day Chris,Nothing succeeds like success! :-jumpyWorked first time no problems. Clock now has white hands. :-)Thanks Cheers,Roger @YSSY

Guest Chris Wallace

Great Roger, glad I could help...Chris WallaceOttawa, Canada

Guest Fly II Pilot

Roger,Now that you getting into the systems, just one tip.When assigning names to the unId (uniqe ID) entry the first of the four characters HAS to be a letter; if you use a number it won't work. I ran into this problem with the Dauphin and it took me a while to figure it out.Another MUST is to use the subsystems debug mode and the debug templates. Let me know if you don't know how to enable this.Take care,http://www.avsim.com/hangar/fly/dfdg/banneraa.jpg

G'day Alex,Thanks for the tip. I'll keep it in mind.At present all I'm doing is taking standard TRI gauges and modifying them. It's a great way to learn just how things are done.I'll contact you in the F2FD forum re debugging. I haven't a clue.attached is an example of the Hawker landing gear warning lights gauge modified for the vampire. Both gauges use same unique ID.Cheers,Roger