Sign in to follow this  
Roger Mazengarb

Parts limitation in 3d model ...................

G'day all,I'm just at the final assembly stage of completing a 3d model in truespace for Fly! II.I understand that there is a 100 parts limit imposed somehow. Does anyone know exactly how this figure is counted?Is it - the total numder of parts in the ACM file. the total number of parts attached to the "body" in the heirachy. ( excluding sub levels of parent parts attached to "body". the total number of parts including all sublevels.Apart from using "object union" which joins multiple parts into a single part does anyone know of any "tricks" that may be used to overcome this 100 part limitation. I started with 174 parts and have managed to whittle it down to 107 parts ( and I still haven't done landing gear doors - which will require 10 parts) but any further use of object union is going to compromise repaints.Cheers,Roger

Guest tonyc

Roger,I am using 3d max and I simply count the number of discreet object in the scene. I've learned that only the animated parts need to be discreet. The others, such as an antenna, can be "attached" to the "body".tony

G'day Tony,Thanks for replying. I have been doing the equivalent of that in Truespace but I still need more! :-) I'll try splitting parts in half and then using "object union" to join the relative halves. That would enable me to use just 2 parts to model 4 engines yet still retain repainting capabilities for both sides of the engines. It will require very careful positioning of the engine halves but it might just work.If that works I'll try a similar process for the wings , stabilizers and fin.At first impressions you would think that 100 parts would be ample to model an aircraft, but 50 parts is required just for landing gear and flaps. That doesn't leave a lot for the rest of the airframe and engines.My latest creation.Cheers,Roger

Guest tonyc

You're right about 100 parts appearing to be adequate for modeling, but if one looks at landing wheels alone, especially complex ones, the pieces add up quickly. In fact it would be helpful to have a spreadsheet with different aircraft sections and "maximum" number of parts to ensure that the finished model could be completed successfully.TonyIncidentally, with 3d max, I am having a horrible time dealing with open edges after booleaning the windshield. I must have redone the fuselage and some of the parts a dozen times in an attempt to get it right..

G'day Tony,Using a sreadsheet to divy up the parts to an aircraft sounds like a good idea but unfortunately I'm not that organised and just seem to drift into making a model without any real planning taking place, just sorting the mess out as I go. I guess that's why I run into problems. :-) I should take a more thought out approach to modelling.I cannot sing the praises of Truespace enough. Boolean operations are an absolute breeze. One click on the icon and it's done. No cleaning up of additional vertex's and all cut faces are automatically filled. However this means loss of flexibility so instead of my windows being detached faces ( as with 3dsmax) they are 3d blocks, but who cares. The only feature of Max that I miss is the FFD operator but that's a trade-off I'm more than happy to put up with for ease of use of Truespace.I'll convert you yet! :-lolCheers,Roger

Guest Fly II Pilot

Roger,Take a look at PMDG's ACM to see what made it to the model.Don't forget that there's also a polys limitation. When you split things in halves you add a ton of polys too.Other than the gear and flaps, why is it that you have that many parts? Could you post your ACM as a text file?I may be able to give you some ideas...Great job!http://www.avsim.com/hangar/fly/dfdg/banneraa.jpg