Sign in to follow this  
Guest milkboy

Job leads in Orlando in aviation for former FLY program...

Guest milkboy

I was wondering if anyone had contacts or knowledge about job leads in aviation sims in the Orlando area. I did really enjoy working on many areas of FLY and FLY2k from 1997-2000. Who else would know better than FLY fans? Scott

Guest pilotsim7828

Hello Scott, I Think you want to be more precise on your qualifications!Do you have any experiance with dlls,Python which fly! Fly!2K or Fly!II was written can you build models with 3dsMax if so you can ask www.F2FDesign.com and leave them an e mail on thier website and work from home;-) pilotsim7828welcome to the club:-wave

Guest milkboy

Good point...qualificationsI was one of the original programmers on FLY!. I coded just about everything outside of the cockpit: Terrain, Sky, Weather, Metar, Airports, Taxiways, VASIs, Approach landing systems, Sun/Moon/Stars and of course the ATC. FLY! wasn't exactly the best environment for writing solid code but it was sure fun to do all of that stuff.Richard Harvey (Richske) did all the cockpits, the databases, and was lead. Russell did the flight model and some AI. Rob Minnis did the front end and the networking. That was FLY for about three years. And we had a good intern do the Bendix King/KL89.I've been away from FLY long enough to get nostalgic about it. I wish we could get the code from TRI. I'd fix up some things that nag at me to this day. Plus, I've learned a thing or two in the last five years.I truly am looking for programming work in the Orlando area. My resume on Monster is doing OK now. I just thought that there might be some FLY fans that are connected to aviation training sims who could tell me about that industry. If there are any issues regarding code that I wrote back in 2000 I'd be happy to write whatever I can remember. Of course you fans probably want to know more about data pipelines than I know and your knowledge is more current since I didn't work on FLYII. Still maybe I can help in a small way.Scott

Guest pilotsim7828

Wow Scott........Your QUALIFIED alright!!!Your just the man we have been looking for all this time :) Just to let you know the F2Fdesign has been doing a lot for fly as with R.O.T.W. ( Rest Of The World ), have joined together to ceate some awesome aircraft for us to use, But what you have to offer is the rest of it..........Would`nt be nice to have a Fly! III......................Alejandro does a lot for dlls as also R.O.T.W. has new formation flight Dlls now out, Jarno , Jan , Henry as the programmer Steve And Jan with Paintng and models, and Kenneth Wood with Panels are with this site.Please redirect to this site t find out more http://www.f2fdesign.com/ If your looking for simulation with others I can not tell you anything about that , Richards office Terminal Reality was only 20 Miles from my house in Fort Worth, Texas , I Know he had an office in Coppell, TexasIt sure would be nice to have you with us once againpilotsim7828A new approach to flydevelopersThe New flydevelopers Pagehttp://flydevelopers.com.istemp.com/index.htmhttp://www.forumcommunity.net/?c=14387Check out he New Flydevelopers Forum

Guest milkboy

Wow! You've done some awesome work!That helicopter is particularly gorgeous. I had a moment there looking at the helicopterhttp://www.f2fdesign.com/images/dauphin01.jpgand it has my moon in the picture. I'm pretty proud of that moon. It had the correct phase, and position in the sky given the lat/lon and the time/date. :-)I think the runway lights are as I left them too. That helicopter is so nice that they must have rewritten the models for FLYII. The system I wrote wouldn't have shown off a model that nice.Of course I know where Richard's office was. I used to work at Terminal Reality. I left though just before they moved into that building in Coppell but I still went back a few times to visit and of course for Rich's funeral. I used to live in Lewisville, TX.It WOULD be nice to have a FLYIII. I'm afraid it would only sell as many copies as there are fans on Avsim. Development is so expensive too. Too bad TRI won't open source the entire project. They aren't ever going to do another one. The owner is very secretive about his graphics code. If Richard couldn't convince him to make FLY open source, then no one could.If you want to see a picture of me. I'm the pilot in FLY! flying the Hawker 800 XP illegally. I'm illegal because I'm flying a jet solo. I wonder if they took me out for FLYII.Scott

Guest danieletona

What a stupendous news!!Scott, there are really smart people that can work on the code and to realize models.I would have an idea. To work on the code and to leave the copyright to TRI. Therefore without profit on our behalf.FLY! it has need of a new suit and the whole community it is ready to work with ideas, solutions and projects.All await FLY! 3Regards from ItalyDaniele Tona

G'day Scott,I'm from Sydney Australia and unfortunately can't help you regarding job opportunities in Orlando, but couldn't let this opportunity pass without thanking you for all your effort in helping to produce the Fly! simulator. As you have noted Fly! II is a totally revamped sim to Fly!/Fly!2k and many changes were made. Basically nothing is compatible from one to the other. You have a wealth of information that I'm sure some of the programmers that make add-ons for Fly!II would love to be able to chat with you about aspects of programming. I wish you well in your search for a job in the aviation industry ( if all else fails try door knocking - that's the best I can suggest) and hope you frequent this forum on a regular basis.Cheers,Roger

Guest Colins2

Hi Scott,Nice to see you here :-)Your offer of help is most welcome.I'm sure I can find some terrain related questions.CheersColin

Hi Scott,First of all, many thanks for all the creative solutions introduced by the FLY and FLY2K series in 1997.For the moment FLY2 is still alive, thanks to the FLY community initiatives (Eg. ROTW, FS2design, and many more) I remember so well the enthousiasm of Richard and the beta-team, at the time when I could participate in beta testing Fly!2 version 250.Hope Your expertise in Fly, could lead to FLY3.If You need FLY3 beta tester, count me in :)Best Regards,Frank

Guest milkboy

You are very welcome!I'm just curious...How many fans are currently working on FLY?Scott

G'day Scott,Do you mean making add-ons like this :-The model was made with Truespace 3.2 and thanks to Chris Wallace who has written a converter to convert the output file to the s3d format for Fly! II we have an alternative to 3dsMax for model making. Numbers are meaningless - to me it's just a hobby.Cheers,Roger

Guest Chris Wallace

I would guess that there are maybe 20 or so folks still actively working on Fly! II add-ons of various types.Chris WallaceOttawa, Canada

Hi Scott ...Are you the fellow who left before FLYII and moved to the Austin area because of your wife's job?I recall during the last Avsim conference attented by Richard Harvey that he mentioned the scenery guy departing and leaving void in the scenery department. I vividly remember this moment (with Microsft guys in the audience seated right next to me) - when Richard was listing all misfortunes that befell FLYII. By the way, my personal opinion was that FLYII scenery was step backwards comparing to FLY2k. Maybe with you working on FLYII it would have turned out differently ;)I am in California so unforunately can't help you with the Orlando area job market. Good luck. Michael J.