Sign in to follow this  
Guest laurentC

FlyLegacy from the start : settings

Guest laurentC

Hi there all,I'm installing FlyLegacy (in order to give an hand in development, of course) and I've faced some difficulties I will expose here to help anyone else wanting to compile the CVS repository with MSVC6++.- first, preparing the VC6++ environment I had to link the libtiff.lib in addition to the jpeg library and the plib library (and incidentally download libtiff3.dll and zlib1.dll from the web : these dlls are placed in the fly!II main root with jpeg62.dll and glut32.dll which are yet provided). The libtiff.lib must be added to the linked libraries dialog list (settings : Links tab)- the debug preprocessor definitions are good but not the release ones (just copy de debug ones)- I also found some audio lib in the release version that are not mentioned in the debug one (I copied them again)OK : compilation worked for both release and debug version...I then placed the exe in the main Fly!II root as stated in the install doc (and put all the stuff provided for the system and saved situation folders). I had also to modify the Fly!II path in the FlyLegacyDefault.ini (and FlyLegacy.ini) files.Now : firing up the exe I can get the splash screen (with the Pilatus) but as the image appears I've got a stop and message error.I think this must be due to my videocard (GeForce4 MX 420) and OpenGL settings.I'm trying to fix this ... any hint ?laurent

Guest laurentC

Debugging the Main.cpp file it appeared that the "debug" folder has actually to be placed in the Fly! II folder tree to avoid this first stop at launch time ... I added also the log folder to be sure, eh, eh !Ok : now, as soon as the red mountains appear I've got a BTD (I suppose they actually are the red mountains and heli splash screen because the image appears for a very fraction of second)

Guest laurentC

I have found this :CSituation::CSituation (const char *sitFilename){ // Perform base initialization user = NULL; cmgr = NULL; kmgr = NULL; rootModels = new ssgRoot; rootUserVehicle = new ssgRoot; // Get panel sound effect source sfx_source_panel = globals->audiomgr->CreateSource (); CGauge::sfx_source = sfx_source_panel; // Open SIT file from pod filesystem SStream s; strcpy (s.filename, "Saved Simulations"); strcat (s.filename, sitFilename); strcpy (s.mode, "r"); if (OpenStream (&s)) { // Successfully opened stream ReadFrom (this, &s); } else { gtfo ("CSituation : Cannot open SIT file %s", s.filename); } CloseStream (&s); } I can't go over ReadFrom(this, &s) :'this' should be a CStreamObject* : my BTD occurs while ReadFrom is performing ...Any idea ?

Guest laurentC

The pb was that FlyLegacy couldn't read the flyhawk.nfo file ... because I have all my aircraft in subfolders of aircraft folder !Putting flyhawk.pod in the actual aircraft folder I almost could go a step ahead ... to tumble in another BTD ... for another pb.At this point I need to watch carefully my folders and see if I need to revert in TRI out of the box simple tree.

Guest laurentC

... Ok : it was exactly that ... all the aircraft TRI pod files have to stay in the aircraft folder, no subfolder allowed.

Guest tonyc

Laurent,We're all watching you with great suspense. It's like your first flight....Tony

Guest Chris Wallace

Laurent,Check LogsWarning.log, LogsDebug.log and Logsgtfo.log for any diagnostics. If it just exits without a Windows crash dialog, it's probably calling gtfo().Thanks for the fixes to the Release build...I obviously haven't built the Release build in a while. Not much need to :-) but it's good to keep things in sync to avoid having a whole bunch of problems later.I'll take a look at your other posts below....Chris WallaceOttawa, Canada

Guest Chris Wallace

It's trying to open a default .sit file. If you don't have a FlyLegacy.ini file, it looks for Default.sit. But this is wrong in that it shouldn't assume the .sit files are in the "Saved Situations" folder. I always use Vancover.sit as my default (in my FlyLegacy.ini file) which is available in CVS in the 'install' tree.Chris WallaceOttawa, Canada

Guest Chris Wallace

I didn't know that Fly! II supported putting the aircraft PODs in subfolders from the Aircraft folder...easy enough to fix.Chris WallaceOttawa, Canada

Guest Chris Wallace

One other thing, the sourceReadme.txt is more up to date than sourceInstall.txt. You should also get the STLport libraries.Chris WallaceOttawa, Canada

Guest laurentC

Ok : it turned out I have a working framework now ... takeoff been hard but now I'm airborne and it's a breeze ...Can you tell me (us), Chris, maybe in the "help" sourceforge forum, which part of the project do you want me (us) to help ? I obviously want to help now but need some indications as all of us.As far as the STLport library, I'll make some search on the net (first time I read about).Having succeed in installing the source CVS, I'm ready to help anybody willing to install it in MSVC++ (also sharing files and libraries if needed to make it easier) ... just shout.laurent

Guest roland_lfor

Hi All and Laurent,I' tried as you to create the request dev env.A basic problem : I've got the tree with WinCVS; then only with the Fly! Legacy source files, VC tell me for each one that there is only one carriage return and then add a new one for each line !So when I have a compil error, it does not jump to the correct line !Any idea ?- roland -

Guest roland_lfor

Also can you give me the exact string you have entered as CVSROOT env ?- roland -

Guest Chris Wallace

Laurent,The STLport library is a free alternative to the STL implemenation that comes with MSVC (Dinkumware). It is generally considered to be more robust and higher quality.I can't really make too many recommendations on where folks should contribute...it really depends on what your interests are. There is so much to do in so many areas that it's even premature to have a priority list. There are dozens of subsystems and gauges that need to be implemented that would probably be pretty easy for you, Laurent. Starting with the simpler ones that are common to all aircraft, then progressing to the more aircraft-specific ones. But if you have an interest in other areas like flight dynamics, etc. and have the time to do the required research, then of course all that needs to be done as well.I am currently reworking the terrain system so I'd recommend staying away from that area until it has stabilized a bit.Let me know your SourceForge ID (or create one) and I'll add you to the developer list. Then get a CVS snapshot using your userid before you start any changes that you intend to checkin...it can be a pain if you check out with anonymous and then try to checkin under your userid.Chris WallaceOttawa, Canada