Sign in to follow this  
flyfisher

Carb heat knob

Hi all,I have been trying to modify the instructions for the carb heat selector hoping to enable it to work with the Yoke buttons/keypad rather than just the mouseKnowing very little about programming it has been frustrating.After changing the panel file for the carb heat selector and trying to run the modified version of the ROTW PA28 the plane appears in the aircraft selection panel as PA28-F2.NFO and the system crashes if I try to select it.What am I doing wrong that causes this?Any help would be gratefully received.:-zhelp

G'day Ian,Mate as far as I can see TRI never implemented "carby Heat" in any aircraft. So if you scan through the *.amp file and the *.pnl file for any aircraft there is no referrence to carby heat. If you can find a refferrence to carby heat please let me know which aircraft. It's a bit like asking why can't I allocate/map a key for the Cessna to fold it's wings. Folding wings is simply not an option :-)Perhaps I may have misled you by making the carby heat knob functional in the Grumman AA5 but all I did was renamed the "cabin heat" knob as the carby heat knob, TRI did make the cabin heat knob functional. With the Grumman you might be able to get just the carb heat knob to operate if you map your ch controls to operate "cabin heat". It might just work! definitely worth a try; but even if it does nothing will happen re the engine. If you had a cabin temp gauge you might notice a rise in cabin temp. :-) What I think is needed is for a python script or a C++ DLL to be written for a function that you can allocate the carby heat knob to. As to the crashing PA-28 the *.pnl file only contains code for the display graphics for a control knob. The guts of what's driving/controlling the knob should be found in the *.amp file. If you have only modified the pnl file then Fly! II will crash because it simply doesn't have any instructions of what to do with the altered code in your pnl file.The above is just my take on what your problem may be. Keeping in mind that I'm having a few problems of my own trying to convince a Beaver that it's not a fixed gear Cessna and that's it's OK to retract the landing gear.I'm not an expert by any means but that's how I see it.Cheers,Roger

G'Day Roger,Thanks for that.Checking out some of the .pnl files I see that the only ones where there is any mention of the carb heat is for those done by other FlyII enthusiasts and not the default Tri aircraft.If I had a knowledge of C programming and the time I would attempt to sort it out as putting the carb heat on reduces the engine rpm and so the realism factor of FlyII is reduced by this not occurring.Having the carb heat knob even though it has no effect on the engine is certainly better than no knob at all.:-beerchug

Guest Fly II Pilot

Hi!I dug into this a couple of days ago but then failed to post (ran out of time).The carb heat subsyste carb does exist and it's the engine deicing system. From what I've seen, it's correctly implemented in the PA-28 and the code for that aircraft was actually taken from a Fly! (first version) aircraft since, as Roger indicated, no Fly! II aircraft utilizes carb heat.While the subsystem does exist, the key assignment doesn't. However, thanks to a DLL written by Laurent Claudet (ROTW), you can assign a key to a switch, fuse, or anythine else in Fly! II.Attached you'll find the .zip file with the DLL along with instructions and an example. In fact, the Dauphin V2.0 utilizes this DLL. This is part of Laurent's "Gauges and System Tools v1.0" which is download ID 54963 in the Avsim File Library.Hope this helps.Regards,http://www.avsim.com/hangar/fly/dfdg/banneraa.jpg

G'day Alex,Wow! Using Fly! code in Fly! II. I would never have thought of that. I copied the attachment for future use. Thanks very much for sheding some light on the subject.I have been reading the development notes for making aircraft by Paul Russell and even though they are for Fly! a lot of the info is common to Fly! II. However I have an aircraft that was produced basically using the Cessna world files and I can't get the undercarriage to retract. I basically cut and pasted the relevant Malibu sub system code to the amp file and pnl file. The gear selector on the panel moves but not the gear.The gear was animated in Truespace and I did define the pivoting parts in the *.whl file. The wheels spin and nose steering works but the gear stubornly stays put despite all my efforts.I'm just about at the stage of starting from scratch and this time basing the aircraft on the Malibu's world files - a bit of extra work but at least I think the gear will then function correctly. :-)Cheers,Roger

Alejandro,Many thanks for that.I had thought of posting the problem on the SimVol site and so asking the ROTW experts but my french isn't really up to it.:-beerchug