Sign in to follow this  
Roger Mazengarb

Glider or powered.....?

G'day all,I'm having a problem trying to make the engines look acceptable when viewed throught the cockpit windows. Chrome is just beyond me I'm afraid. No matter what I do the dome turns out rather flat and not very chrome like.The main purpose of this post is to canvas ideas on whether or not to add apropeller to the engine? The prop is fixed (don't know if I can obtain a spinning prop view from the cockpit) and presently shown in feather!!! I'm certainly not capable of drawing a blurred spinning propeller. I'm just at a loss on how best to handle the situation.Any ideas anyone???I need help.....please :-)CheersRoger

Guest danieletona

Hi Roger,have you tried with "Environment" in the editor models (how for body)?Dan

G'day Daniele,You'll have to run that one past me again mate ..... slowly :-) I'm not quite sure of what you are trying to say. The exterior of the aircraft has "environment mapping" and no problems there. All's nice and shiny. :-) see attachment.The interior view is done in Photoshop. Whether or not I can get the shiny effect of chrome is really secondary to my problem. I've got to the stage where I'm considering completely eliminating the engines and propellers from the left and right cockpit views. Unless rotating props can be placed then there will always be this mismatch of propeller to engine condition.I'm just wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to best deal with the situation. I guess it's a choice - put up with static props or eliminate them from the view.Thanks for the inputHave you done any more to the MD-500 ?Cheers,Roger

Guest danieletona

Roger,the propellers in the sights are the model 3D or is an image?To visualize the propellers of the model 3D can use the file CAM.Then to give the effect chrome uses the Enviroment mapping.I would not know just otherwise as to help you. :-hmmm Unfortunately it seems that the project MD-500 is stopped. :-erks I have also prepared the model of the AB205.I am now working to the model of the DA-40.I always hope that someone creates the panels and the relative files. :-zhelp All the bestDanP.S. The model is really wonderful. You always use TruSpace?N.B. Forgive me for the english :-shy

G'day Dan,You are an absolute genius!! :-jumpy Thanks a million for your last reply as it put me on the path to achieving a fully functional propeller in the side views (only one at the moment but I'm working on it :-) )Funny that you are making a DA-40 as I was looking at making a DA 42 Twin Star. There is a feature article on the DA 42 in the July issue of "Flying" magazine. It's a pity that the diesel engines only have a life of 2400 hrs and are a throwaway engine. ie can't be overhauled. Please consider making the panel for the DA 40. The model so far looks really nice. :-) Is it also diesel powered?That's half the fun in modelling; getting one's creation to operate in Fly! II. I know nothing about helicopters (except that they are creations of the devil :-lol )I like the bumper sticker "Helicopters don't fly ... they beat the air into submission." :-)For the record yes I'm still using Truespace 3.2 . It's got limitations but it gets the job done ... sort of :-)Thanks for the suggestions.Cheers,Roger

Guest danieletona

Hi Roger,the image is stupendous!!!!Yes, the DA-40 is diesel. You can find the documentation to this address:http://perso.orange.fr/aeroclub.limoges/parc_page06.htmFor the panel I have to really like if you want to realize it. I don't have familiarity (that's why the helicopters are to ground :-rotor ).Long, long, long life to FLY!Dan

Guest Fly II Pilot

Roger,Nice to see that you figured that one out. As long as you don't have to scroll the view you'll be OK. It gets really tricky when you try to use the 3D model in the main panel or a scrolling view. When we were working on the wipers for the Dauphin, I tried to make the 3D model visible but it caused all kinds of problems...Let me know if you need help.Regards,Alexhttp://www.avsim.com/hangar/fly/dfdg/banneraa.jpg

Hi Dan,My homebase is Wiener Neustadt Ost (LOAN), that's where the DA40 is built. So if you need some pictures just let me know, just can't wait to try this bird with FlyII.Harald

G'day Harald,Getting data for the cockpit interiors is perhaps the biggest problem when deciding to make an aircraft for Fly! II. Exterior pics and technical data can usually be obtained from books, magazines or websites, but the interior cockpit views ... well that's another problem.Is there any chance that you could get the rotated interior views photographs. Even though it's a DA40, except for the panel, the rest of the views would be pretty much the same as the DA42 and could also be used for that aircraft as well because, apart from the ventral fin, they seem to share a common fuselage aft of the windscreen. The engines of course would have to be added to the side views but that's not a problem.Wishful thinking... But it would sure be a great help if you could :-)Cheers,Roger

Guest danieletona

Hi Harald,thanks for the availability.I have some photos (excellent) of the DA-40. The photos are Maurizio Argenton.I also have photo of the panel and the various sights.I still have to end the model 3D. Roger is offered to realize the panel. If you have photo that can help us in the realization of the model and the panel, send us her.THANKSAll the bestDan

G'day Daniel,>Roger is offered to realize the panel. :-eek :-eekNo I didn't !! :-lol (language misunderstanding), but if you are prepared to accept a somewhat less than 100% realistic panel then I'll give it a go and do my best Unfortunately my knowledge of systems construction and instruments is very, very rudimentary. And this one's a diesel ! I'll have to get Alex to help. :-)I'll need everything you have in the way of photo's of the aircraft panels and interior views.Also do you have any technical data about the aircraft.cheers,Roger

Guest danieletona

Hi Roger,surely you know more than me. However two brains are better of one. ;-) I can draw the instrumentation, the needles, etc.I have photos and the technical manual of the airplane. In the weekend I put the photos and the manual on my site. I will make you know.All the bestDan

Guest MauriceA

Hello to everybody!As Daniele said, I sent him the photos he used to build his very nice - as usual! - 3D model.If I can save some of Daniele's time, I could send the low-res (640x480) pictures via e-mail; it'll be some 3,5 MB.Besides, I'm available for explanations, within the limits of my limited experience - I've just flown a dozen hours in the DA40 with the Thielert diesel engine; I know in USA the Lycoming 180 HP is used but in Europe we need to save money for fuel ...Regarding the aircraft's manual, you can download it at the Diamond's site: http://www.diamond-air.at/support/techda40d.htmYou will find both german and english versions. A french version is available by the Aeroclub Limoges's website, previously shown by Daniele.Building the panel and systems won't be an easy task, as the Garmin GNS 430 is not available in Fly!2, nor is the GA-1000 which is an option recently available; however, a realistic enough model could use standard Fly!2 instruments, maybe with the addition ol Rotw's GPS.And don't forget this bird is controlled with the throttle lever only; you set the power and forget about propeller and mixture. Pretty handy!Bye,Maurizio

Hi Roger,Sorry for the late answer, but I am on vacation.Yes, I can make some screenshots from the interior of an DA40.I will let you know as soon as I have them.Harald