Sign in to follow this  
Roger Mazengarb

Fly! II Gauges

G'day Brian,Way to go mate! :-)Good to hear you are having fun. My reply is a trifle long and rather than bore the life out of the few who do visit the general discussion forumI thought it prudent to move our little "tete a tete"over to the developer forum where it more rightfully belongs. >I am enjoying playing around with the attitude gauge and think I am >getting somewhere .... but then another road block. I need to make a >change in the 'Cockpit Manager' file 'cockmngr.cpp' .... but can I >find that file!? I have looked in every POD file that would seem to >be a possibility without success, but it must be somewhere!Now you are getting into the good stuff :-)Cockpitmanager is not a file as such but is hard coded into Fly! II and without a patch involving programming you cannot alter it. Because it is in the *.exe you can't find it as a separate file.BUT BUT BUT all is not lost. It does require a lot of input that it gets from the *****.pit file in the world folder, and this is probably what may need changing.There are two files in the world folder that control the cockpit display.The *****.cam file (camera view file)a) Defines the pilots seating and viewing parameters.:( tells what views are actually used in this aircraft.c} defines the layout and navigation path from view to view.d) defines whether the view is interior or exteriore) allows for the adding of "offsets" for the displaying of a view. The second file is the *****.pit file. Once the views that are going to be used (eg front/overhead/floor/left/right etc. etc. ) are defined in the *.cam file then those views are indidually defined in the *.pit file as being either a panel view (*.pnl)or a plain view and will also state the name of a file to be found in the data folder that will give the resolution for the view and the associated *pbm background graphic for the view.(eg the *.786 file ).below is a sample *.pit . Note the tag -- Cockpit Manager -- Begin File -- /////////////////////////////////////////////////// // // Cockpit Panels // /////////////////////////////////////////////////// ---- cockpit manager ---- ---- begin cockpit manager ---- ---- forward cockpit entry ---- frnt tp00.pnl ---- upper right cockpit entry ---- uprt tp045 ---- right cockpit entry ---- rght tp090 ---- left cockpit entry ---- left tp270 ---- upper left cockpit entry ---- uplt tp315 ---- overhead panel ---- over tp10.pnl ---- floor console ---- floo tp20.pnl ---- left (pilot) console ---- fuse tp226.pnl ---- end cockpit manager ---- -- End of File --Ok regarding the Fly! II Reference Gauge Guide I have contacted Chris and he emailed the following >I will also upload the PDF to the FlyLegacy webpage athttp://flylegacy.sourceforge.net/>enjoySo there you go; wait a few days to give Chris the time and then it should be available for all.Cheers,Roger

Guest 3cffts

Hello Roger,Your info is just great! I'd be lost without that help!I understand that the .pit file CALLS the .pnl file (is CALL the right terminology?) --- for the Sahara the .pit file is Harvey.pod/TRI1.pit and the front panel is MALI00.pnl.While I think of it - does the COCKMNGR.CPP file in the .exe directly call Harvey.pod/TRI1.pit/World/TRI1.pit?If so, when I get an error msg "cockmngr.cpp line 1506 invalid gauge identifier (//fd)", because I have substituted a vacuum A/H for a F/D A/H in Harvey.pod/MALI00.pnl/data, is the error msg saying that I must have a flight director A/H and that two vacuum A/H is not acceptable in this airplane? ... unless there is a patch to the .exe?Another question - there are two copies of MALI00.pnl. One in the Harvey/MALI00/data directory, and another in Harvey/TRI1/DATA dir. - so, if I make changes to a Sahara gauge - must I change both files to read the same?Many thanks again for your patience with my learning curve!Cheers,Brian.

G'day Brian,>Your info is just great! I'd be lost without that help!Don't put too much faith in anything I say.!This is a classic case of the blind leading the blind. :-lol>I understand that the .pit file CALLS the .pnl file (is CALL the >right terminology?) ---Your guess is as good as mine. :-) I'm not a programmer and can't program. > for the Sahara the .pit file is >Harvey.pod/TRI1.pit and the front >panel is MALI00.pnl.Yes the names are correct (but slightly confused paths). If you extract the files from the pod then they will be found infly! IIworldTRI1.pitfly! IIdatamali00.pnl>Another question - there are two copies of MALI00.pnl. One in the >Harvey/MALI00/data directory, and another in Harvey/TRI1/DATA dir. - >so, if I make changes to a Sahara gauge - must I change both files >to read the same?How did you get this info??There can only be one file mali00.pnl and it resides in the data directory.There is no directory MALI00 ??? Harvey is the name of a POD file, not a directory. All the pod files for the various aircraft in fly! II can be found in the directory below. Fly! IIaircraft >If so, when I get an error msg "cockmngr.cpp line 1506 invalid gauge >identifier (//fd)", because I have substituted a vacuum A/H for a >F/D A/H in Harvey.pod/MALI00.pnl/data, is the error msg saying that >I must have a flight director A/H and that two vacuum A/H is not >acceptable in this airplane? ... unless there is a patch to the .exe?I really have no answer to this. You have bitten off more than I can chew. :-) You have obviously created a problemDid you alter the *.amp to reflect the gauge changes? Which four letter ID did you use for your gauge? This is an awful lot of trouble to go to just to get a bank angle indication on the AH. Why didn't you simply modify a graphic file??Do you have Photoshop? There is no logic change or program change to the gauge and is thus quite easy to accomplish.Cheers,Roger

Guest 3cffts

Hello Roger,I was away on the weekend and had great success !! As you suggested I was able to change the graphics file with MS Paint. The lubber line looks just great. Was also able to change the fixed airplane on the horizon to the same style as on the vacuum A/H. Even better luck, was able to reduce the engine sounds volume so that on a long cross-country I don't have to listen to so much noise!So my problems are just about solved. Again, many thanks for your help and patience. I really enjoyed working on these changes, once I became familiar with Flygraphics and DragPODer. These two programs are just great!My project now is to see how it may be possible to make the pitch movement on the A/H more fluid, instead of it jerking in 2 degree or so steps! I will start a new thread on this.Cheers !Brian.