Sign in to follow this  
Guest 3cffts

Modify standby attitude indicator

Guest 3cffts

Hi. I would like to modify the standby horizon football in the Hawker/Peregrine. Can anyone tell me where the "ART" file is for this gauge? I suspect it is RHATTI.pbm but cannot find it in any of the ART directories. I want to add a centre vertical line to the 'football' to show the angle of bank against the overlay or rim portion of the gauge. I have already added a horizon bar and a lubber line and the gauge works well, but it needs a better indication of bank angle.

G'day Brian,You've picked the wrong gauge to modify! The Hawker standby horizon gauge is a simple HARD CODED gauge. As I see it, from the section of the tri40.pnl file I've pasted, the only graphic you can modify for this gauge is the front overlay. RHATTIOV.PBM and I take it that's the one you have already modified.An alternative way would be to modify the overlay to place a vertical lubber line on the gauge. This at least would be a referrence for the horizontal pitch lines on the ball to show bank angle.//////////////////////////////////////////////////// 3D Horizon Ball////////////////////////////////////////////////// ==== GAUGE ENTRY ====hbal ==== BEGIN GAUGE ENTRY ==== ---- unique id ---- hbal ---- x,y,xsize,ysize ---- 536 253 74 75 ---- overlay ---- rhattiov.pbm -9 -8 ---- light ---- plfl ---- popup help ---- Artificial Horizon Ball ==== END GAUGE ENTRY ==== This standby ball gauge isn't programmed the same as the AH and doesn't have a "football" graphic.Cheers,Roger

Guest 3cffts

Hi Roger, Yes, that sad thought had occurred to me. It does seem that I am out of luck as far as improvement to bank indication goes. I also wanted to enlarge the football, but I guess that is not possible either. I already have the lubber line and horizon bar installed on the overlay which greatly improves the gauge. It works well in the F-16, particularly on minimum wx approaches when using the autopilot in a facsimile of 'fly-by-wire' for pitch control - using the autopilot 'sync' button on the joystick. For some reason when I engage 'approach' for autopilot coupling to the ILS glide-path I get a horrendous porpoising.... it does get me to the runway but I get sea-sick watching the horizon go up and down!Brian.

G'day Brian,> I also wanted to enlarge the football, but I>guess that is not possible either.Au contraire my friend. ! I'm not 100% certain but I think the ball gauge MIGHT be scalable.The EFIS gauge is and I can't remember now if the ball gauge is but it's definitely worth a try and it is sooooooooooooooo easy. :-) //////////////////////////////////////////////////// 3D Horizon Ball////////////////////////////////////////////////// ==== GAUGE ENTRY ====hbal ==== BEGIN GAUGE ENTRY ==== ---- unique id ----hbal ---- x,y,xsize,ysize ----5362537475536 and 253 are the x,y pixel location of the upper LH corner of the instrument on the main panel *.pbm graphic for the instrument panel.74 and 75 are the x,y pixel size of the instrument.If you want to enlarge the ball gauge then simply change 74 and 75 to say 84 and 85 and see what happens. You may be pleasantly surprised;Then again, you may not :-lol. If that works then the ball gauge will be lower than the original and you can repositiiion it to your preference by altering the 536 and 253 values.Fingers crossed. :-)Cheers,RogerEdit:>For some reason when I engage 'approach' for autopilot>coupling to the ILS glide-path I get a horrendous>porpoising.... it does get me to the runway but I get sea-sick>watching the horizon go up and down!Is this pre or post your 40% stab efficiency mod? :-)

Guest 3cffts

Hi Roger, The porpoising is the same before and after my +40% stabilizer efficiency. It is about plus - minus 6 degrees of the proper attitude. I also get a very small amount of movement in bank, but hardly enough to notice and certainly not bothersome. If I couple to the ILS, even though it porpoises, it does seem to land safely. However, I like to have the acft fly smoother and be able to hand fly it. Back in the real world we had some 'quirky' autopilots and never did trust a coupled approach. I am sure they are much better now, and far more accurate than of old.Brian