Sign in to follow this  

AI Traffic Enhanced version 1.00 available now

Guest Ansgar

Hehehe Chris, you are a fox....and found the new bird ;-)Yepp, the biggest job is done for my B747. To use it as AI-plane I must do a complete reorganisation and comprimating of the textures.To give you all a hint what was done here the numbers:I reduced the number of textures for my B747 from 33 to 8 (3 general ones and 5 for each livery)! AND I reached it without noticeable quality losses. We have a lot of multitextures now where a lot of different pieces are combined to one texture.The 3d-model is nearly the same (I only merged some separate parts together like flaps, rudders etc.). But the complete UVW-mapping for all parts must be redone and that much more complicated than before (because of the multitextures).As result the original repaints can

Thanks Ansgar. I would be very happy to do some testing of this revolutionary upgrade !Are you also saying here that you will be able to improve the AI models that look poor at the moment ? Personally I don't mind the Beechjet, but I assume that you are referring to the rather "boxy" engines ! You probably know which AI planes I would like to see upgraded, but I will list them again anyway !Cessna CitationBeechcraft StarshipF18 HornetKeep up the good work guys. The amount of changes and modifications that have occurred in FU3 recently are unbelievable. Any more of this, and we might all be able to develop Flight Unlimited 4 ourselves !Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest Ansgar

Hi Chris,I sure know you like the Citation, Starship and F18, but think about this:-> most AI-aircraft in FU3 are the big jets: B747, B737, MD88 etc. in several liveries. Most work is to create (or recreate) the model, do the new texture mapping and less work is the texturing. To multiple them with different liveries is no big work and problem. So if we make this models first we have the most strange effects at our airports.-> the original FU3-planes: beechjet, Windhawk, Chessna, etc. we have already as HQ-model, so I only must reconvert and build them. Also the texturing is ready in HQ. So that is the fastest way to fill the new AI-palette of planes.-> After this we have the possibility to reconvert also other freeware planes as AI-planes. For the above reason I prefer first the big liners and so here I look especially for an MD88, because an B737 I have already in preparation!After this we can start work for your planes. So if you can look for good quality freeware for FS98+2000 of the citation, starship and F18 it saves me sure time to find them. Only problem is, that they must be successfull convertable with mdl2dxf.exe version 3.2d to an dxf-file! So the mdl-file is normal less than 150kbyte and the converted dxf-result file is normaly less then 400kybte.If you get an dxf-file of more then 700kbyte you can forget it because it is damaged. Mostly they are build then with "aircraft factory" which can

Hi Larry,Few more things come to my mind:1) Move the backed up files somewhere else, out from the flight3 subdirectories. I am not sure if this has any effect.2) Check if you accidently backed up the "fltdnsty.nam" instead of "fltdnsty.dat", I used to do that all the time while testing, and got similar results you have now.The "fltdnsty.nam" is the index file for the dat, and without it (or wrong format file there) results are usually freeze or crash. Since they are identical for both SF and Seattle regions you can get one from SF if needed. This file was not replaced by my package, but you sure see if it is missing...What I have heard you could also try to defragment your drive before going for re-install.Let me know if you found the reason or if I can be any assistance.Regards,Jokke

I agree with you in 100%. Do what is most effective. Big planes are the most spectacular and do them first.B.Adamski

Guest juvat2

How about this Starship for FS2000. The author has a very brief readme. I can't remember where I downloaded it from and reading his read me, I'm not sure if posting the zip would be allowed, what do you all think?Heres his full readme:"FS2000 Beechcraft tarship By: OMC'99 07/2000email: orionmas@cabi.net.id"Jim B.

Guest Ansgar

Hi Jim,The model looks really great! I just searched for it, found and tested it. But this we can

That's a shame Ansgar, because that model would have been a corker ! One point to note here is that the Starship in FU2 and FU3 actually sounds like a jet, and yet it is quite obviously a turboprop. I know that a turboprop can sound a lot like a jet at times, but the difference is quite noticeable in reality !Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest juvat2

Does this one meet the criteria? Its a FS98 version.Thought I'd add the creators readme in-full incase this model is useable and added pic at Tampa Itl FS2002.Hmm... the 1st jpg was deleted from the Avsim server, was against Avsims policy for me to post a pic like that? It was a screen save of the dxf using Quick3d. Please let me know, I don't want to be doing something that will get me banned.The dxf info as shown by Quick3d:file size 149.87polygons 655vertices 399sub-meshes 1Thanks, Jim B."This is my version of the Beech Starship turboprop. It is perhaps the most advanced business aircraft in theair today. Sadly, as far as I can tell, production shut downafter only about 50 aircraft.The Starship is built of revolutionary composite materials,and is designed with foreplanes which sweep forward withflap extension to make it impossible to stall on takeoffor landing. Although I can simulate the sweep, I can't simulate it's effect on stall speed, so exercise normalcare.I'd appreciate some feedback on how it flys. This is my first canard aircraft, and I spent a lot of time on theflight model. Thanks, and remember you need Flight Shop to use this aircraft. Beechcraft 2000 StarshipEngine: Two Pratt & Whitney Canada 895kW (1200 shp) PT6A-67A turboprop engines Fuel: 565 US GallonsGross Wt:15000 lbs.Airspeed Data:Vne (never exceed) 0.6 MachMax level speed 340 ktsMax cruising speed 334 kts at 25,000Max cruising speed 318 kts at 35,000Econ cruising speed 279 kts at 37,000Stall speed full flp 92 ktsStall speed clean 97 ktsMax rate of climb 2748 ft/minROC One eng out 670 ft/minService ceiling 35,800 ftTake-off distance 3800 ft (but I've done much better)Landing distance 2390 ftRange max fuel 1494 nmRange max econ 1514 nmLet me know what you think:David W. GriffinRedDrake (on AOL)103523,2414 (on Compuserve)davidg@magicnet.net (on the internet)(817)370-2772Installation Instructions: Put the .air file in the PILOTS subdirectory of flight simulator. Put the texture files (name.?af) in the TEXTURE subdirectory.I hereby grant my permission for any non-commercial use of these files. Any other use is probably ok, but email me for permission.Thanks, and sorry for the legal stuff."

Guest Ansgar

Hi Jim,that one looks usable and fine. I think I have also a one which may be a bit better (BE-2000 from Nikki Schumann at avsim)but it also has around 650 polygons. Especially the wings and engines look a bit basic in your picture.But also my one is not nearly as good as the above OMC-99 version.May be we find a little bit better one, otherwise we can use what we have.Don

Guest juvat2

Hi Ansgar,Why do you suppose the 1st picture was deleted from the server? I thought about reposting it, that maybe the server just "lost it", but decided no-way incase in some mysterious way the pic was against policy or some protocal.Yep, the 2nd one was far from as good as the 1st, but I was thinking it looked much better than the FU3 one.If anyone has FS00 or 02, the omc99 Starship flies fine, needs lots of down trim though, guess them canards have a lot of lift.JIm B.

Hi Chris,The sound problem is because the starship uses the same flight model as the small jets. Sound set to use is bundled with the AI flight model. We shall se if we get any "empty" places with the new models, maybe we can have the proper speeds and behavior for each IA Plane too! FOr now they are more or less copies of each other, originating from B747 and B737...Regards,Jokke

I agree that we should look for a slightly better model. That FS98 version of the Starship looks almost as ugly as the FU3 version !Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Well, the problem is resolved and it did turn out to be the FLTDYSTY.NAM file. It seems that I loaded all your new files correctly but I somehow backed up FLTDYSTY.NAM as well as FLTDYSTY.DAT in the Seattle directory. Just had to rename it back and now everything is working again (although I still have to hit the Escape key to get through the AI Startup phase everytime I load a flight).I also think I know why I was seeing helicopters taxiing around in the Seattle region like fixed wing aircraft. I removed the P-51 Mustang from my aircraft directory many months ago because I never flew it. I guess when FU3 tries to call up the Mustang and can't find it, it must substitute the helicopter model (although I don't understand where it finds it if they've been removed from your model.res file).Anyway, thanks for your help Jokke - I'm not sure if I would ever have found that particular problem if you hadn't mentioned the FLTDYSTY.NAM file. I also quite enjoy your add-on now that I've finally gotten a chance to see it. :)Larry

Hi Larry,No problem, I am glad you managed to make it work for you! I renamed or removed the NAM more than once instead of the DAT myself, so join the gang!As a developer I use highly sophisticated methods to find the pitfalls of the creations. I reveal my main method here to everybody:Change significant or important factors of the add-on VERY late at night (preferably after hard days work and in the middle of the week), and you shall find the most interesting ways to wreck your installation! AND as a bonus you can find your computer reset button your eyes closed... This method was invented mainly because I just couldn't go to sleep until I make this one more little tweak here, it only takes a minute more (plus 5 minutes for reboot and 30 minutes to sort out what a heck I actually did).Well, maybe you all know this mehod too!Best Regards,Jokke