Sign in to follow this  

Abuse that Looking Glass Programmers have to endure

Hi all,I really feel sorry for the programmers at Looking Glass. If you look at the verbal abuse they currently receive at the JAS forum, I am beginning to understand why they never bother to visit our forum.I have not been here that long, but I understand that they went through the very same thing here when this forum initially started. I have to say in all honesty that if I was one of them, I would surely also turn my back on the flight simulating community , never to return. It is such a pity though as they are such gifted and talented people, yet all they have to endure is the continuous abuse from others who have most probably never created a single thing of worth in all of their lives!Anyhow, the above is certainly my impressions.Regards,Hennie

Hennie,That really is very sad news. Why are people criticising LG when they weren't allowed to finish the project in the first place ? We have no idea how many changes they were intending to make to the product after the point when EA cancelled it, and we also have to remember that it would probably have been released in 2000 if it had been allowed to continue.I can't deny that I am slightly disappointed that no former members of the LG Flight Unlimited 2/3 team don't visit this forum every now and again. They certainly wouldn't get any flak from me........only thanks for providing us with a piece of flight simulation software that we admire above all others.Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest DLM

"...I understand that they went through the very same thing here when this forum initially started."Chris,I don

Daniel,The sad thing about this is that we really WOULD welcome them here with open arms. It should be blatantly obvious that anyone who is still using and enjoying FU3 two and a half years after it was released must surely love it !Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I just chanced on this. I really like FU3, but have not had much time to do simming period. Why would anyone give the FU3 programmers a bsd time? I actually got the thing to work with the Nvidia Gforce3 stereo stuff with the shutter glasses and all. Not perfect, but good enough. Some day I'll find the time to get back to FU3. It is great indeed. Kim.:::

Guest twsimfan

Daniel,"It

Guest DLM

Tom,Yes indeed Pat provided us with great stuff that sprung into tools we never thought to have.But what i meant was to have a former FU3 programmer or any team member for that matter among us to tell about the inside of FU3 and to answer our questions.Pat handed us great material but never showed up here for more than..five posts?My point is that we really never have had anyone to give us the answers, we have gotten used to guess and test our way towards progress.But what Pats documents led to (thanks to Gideon and Markus) proves my point of how just having ONE original LG team member among us can warp our progress with FU3. "I do not recall anyone being the least bit inpolite to Pat"I can

Guest twsimfan

Daniel,"As far as i know all the ******** took place at their own forum at the former site www.flight3.com ?"Even there I believe all the strife was with the "bean counters" not the technical staff. It is my impression that Pat and his cohorts were glad to be done with FU and have no desire to be amoung us. If you consider all the cuts that were taking place that must not have been a pleasant environment to work in. I have been in jobs where I was amoung the last to leave "the sinking ship" on 2 occasions and it can be pretty grim. And if you have put a large chunk of your creative energies into such an effort you tend to take such compromises personally... at least I always did.To this day I am thankful that Pat and his talented companions made us such a fine sim. I wish some of them would join us but I don't expect that to happen... not after all this time. But if by chance any of you former LG types are out there (a great many people read this forum but choose not to post) please sign in and accept our heartfelt adoration!:-jumpy :) :-beerchug ;) :-wave <--- (The cheering crowd!)

Hi all,Well, I bought JAS this weekend and can report that it runs as smooth as silk on my PIII 450. Only when there are many, many aircraft battling things out, does it stutter a but.Flight physics is excellent. Terrain also good. No dynamic weather though. Heard many famous FU1 and FU2 sounds like the wings creaking and " If you keep flying like that you'll end up in a smoking hole!"For those of you who love FU3, go get it - you'll like it.Regards,Hennie

That's very interesting Hennie. After seeing other posts criticising JAS (some on this forum), I was starting to think the worst. What can you tell us about the game ? Have you discovered any problems, and are they significant ?Best Wishes,Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Hi Chris,It would be a while before I can comment on the complete game as such. There are many, many commands and keystrokes to learn. What I can vouch for is the smoothness and the nice flying characteristics of the aircraft I've flown to date.In any case, I'll buy any sim if the Looking Glass programmers had their hands in it - their style is my kind of thing. I've heard quite a few say that regardless of anything else said, the FU series has a warmth and kind of personal feel to it whilst FS2002 i.e. is said to feel cold.It's like music. If you take ANY piece of good music and use the latest software to make every timing, note and sound perfect, it sounds impersonal and cold in the end.Any way, I'll keep you posted when I know more. Shooting games are not really my kind of thing - I purchased it mostly for the flying and new scenery and because it comes from Looking Glass. However, I've quickly discovered how to unleash the rest of my squadron upon the enemy and then I enjoy the whole scene whilst my plane flies merrily along in auto pilot mode. The true combat simmers will skin me for saying such a thing...What I can contradict is the accusations that it is slow - instead it runs as smooth as FU2 on my low end machine. Only in the heat of the battle and ONLY when there are many aircraft involved does it start to stutter somewhat.But, having said all of the above, I AM somewhat biased towards anything FU related as far as my opinions are concerned. And I am not sorry that I purchased it.Regards,Hennie

Guest juvat2

Hi Fellas,I like JAS alot myself. One of the folks at the simhq/jas boards coming out with a fw190. The plane looks real sharp. Theres been re-skins of the p51, p47, and spitfire.Shadowcat has been keeping a running knowledge base as he becomes aware of them at http://www.thunder-over-europe.com/index.jsp. If you run into any problems Hennie with JAS, you could go there and there may already be a fix for it.There are a couple of skins here http://www.mag-cor.com/benchmarksims/index.php.You'll see if you frequent the jas board, there are 2 JAS designers who drop in and answer questions. Don't know if they were ever on the Flight Unlimited team.Have you tried flying as a bomber crew member? Its puts a whole different twist on the sim. Manning the guns, or be the bombadier, all the while the enemy fighters are blazing at your aircraft and formation. A very helpless feeling.Take Care, Jim B.

Jim,Some of the FU3 programmers apparently did join Mad Doc Software to help complete JAS, which makes a great deal of sense. Can you tell me the address of the JAS forum ? I would be very interested to pay them a visit.Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Hennie,More interesting comments. How can a game be considered to be slow when you are obviously experiencing the opposite on a Pentium III 450 ? It makes you wonder what the intentions of some people actually are.I agree with you regarding combat flight simulators. They aren't really my cup of tea either, but I would be very willing to buy a copy of JAS if it would increase the chance of some kind of civilian flight simulation from Mad Doc Software in the future. Of course, Flight Unlimited 4 is what I would REALLY like to see !Keep me informed.Best Wishes,Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest juvat2

Here you go, Chris....http://www.simhq.com/cgi-bin/boards/cgi-bi...0&startpoint=40Here's a link to a thread where one of the xicat fellas dropped in. Names grimaldi.http://www.simhq.com/simhq3/sims/boards/bb...TML/000383.htmlRead some of the posts that were negative towards JAS. Some of the folks got kind of mean. Mainly against the company though, not the programmers themselves I think.Take care, Jim B.