Sign in to follow this  
Christopher Low

Can I just ask a question here ?

Why exactly did Looking Glass suffer a torrent of abuse when FU3 was released ? I mean, it wasn't exactly a BAD product was it ? If it was, why are we all using it now ?Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest Stearman

>Why exactly did Looking Glass suffer a torrent of abuse when >FU3 was released ?Did they? Never heard about that...

Guest DLM

Chris,Two tiny weeks after FU3 had gone gold the US patch was released followed one week later by the UK and German.This should indicate that there actually was "issues" with FU3 and that it probably was released in a late beta version. "...why are we all using it now ?"I wouldn

Guest twsimfan

Chris,"Why exactly did Looking Glass suffer a torrent of abuse when FU3 was released ? I mean, it wasn't exactly a BAD product was it ? If it was, why are we all using it now ?"There were some jerks that were less than pleased about EA/LG business practices and attitudes. I'm not going to name them all... I don't even remember all of them... but two of the loudest were Christopher Low & Thomas Wunder. I remember no one who was critical of the programming/technical staff. What were these loud mouthed oafs upset about? The fact that the development budget was slashed in the critical months prior to release was part of it. The features that should have been included but were scraped in the rush to get the product out the door were also high on the list. Then there was the advertising campaign that was cancelled months before release.There is another side to this. Without these jerks we would not have had any possibility of 8 views in the FU2 carry over aircraft... and there would have been no patch at all. Such is my opinion.

Guest Dann

Chris and Tom, the two jerks:GOOD JOB!Dan

Guest Pieter

Chris,You've read the other comments, I can't add much more, but my experience. I mean, my PC has increased in capacity ten fold and still I get framerates sometimes lower than FS2000 (4-8fps)! People at the time with the "heavy metal" had FPS of 3-4, now that was bad. This increased a wee bit after the patch. Then some (I still get it once in while) experienced after the patch that without warning, while still flying merrily along, one finds oneself staring at the blank desktop display and its icons with joystick still clasped in hand in a banking turn, no aircraft, no sound.Oh dear, then there was FLED (a topic for complaints all on its own). People expected a scenery creator to surpass all, and were stuck with dear old FLED... to really force your FU3 to a grinding halt. Then, if you carefully read the FU3 manual, nice and all that, you will see the promise of scenery (and aircraft) to appear at the FU3 website - never happened. Then the scenery models, due to the pressure on the programmers to release FU (too early), were finished in a terrible haste. One can still see the taxi-lines of many airports just "hand-painted" haphazardly all over the place. People were expecting an aircraft editor, which was never mentioned again. People expected flight models they could tweak. Because the reminiscent FU1 "laminar flow mathematics" models are, uhh, different, people found it awkward and scolded LG that they were hyped into thinking FU3 to have that superior simulator experience and FU is still nothing like, does this sound familiar?, the "better" FS models and so we can go on...If many of the hit-and-run all that is not FS fans did feel that FU flight modelling is the better, as, hopefully, a few of us in here still believe, then I guess this forum would've had the member numbers the MSFS forums currently have and we the proud owners of Flight Unlimited 5.Pieter

Tom,I remember being critical of ELECTRONIC ARTS, but I don't remember slamming Looking Glass Studios. Can you elaborate ?Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest DLM

Tom,Very good point you got there!I fully agree that there probably would never have been a patch for FU3 if not for those "jerks" ;-)I

Guest twsimfan

Chris,"I remember being critical of ELECTRONIC ARTS, but I don't remember slamming Looking Glass Studios. Can you elaborate ?"First off you have to realize that my remarks were not intended to be seriously critical? I hope? It was too long ago and I do not claim to know who made what remarks about whom... I have a fair memory of my own involvement. I don't believe that I slammed anyone... and I don't think I ever blamed the programmers or development staff for anything. But if you made no remarks critical of LG I can assure you that I did. It seemed as if they (the admin types) were trying to disassociate themselves from FU altogether.

Guest twsimfan

Daniel,"I

Tom,I actually didn't get a chance to post a message on the official LG forum. I purchased FU3 very soon after it was released, but when I tried to access the forum, I realised that it had already been closed down. The messages that had already been posted were still there, and I remember reading some of them in disbelief. The "Sandra tirade post" was probably one of them, together with several others that were "supposed" to have been the work of other LG members (if I remember correctly).What I will say here is that, as well as criticising Electronic Arts for forcing LG to release FU3 sooner than they wished, I also remember thinking that the framerate problems were related to bugs in the source code, rather than the increased complexity of the flight physics and AI.At least, I assume that was the case.Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png