Sign in to follow this  

PC3200 DDR Memory Question.

Well actually more than one question. I'm thinking of upgrading my Asus A7M266 MoBo based system and would like to find out some of the benefits.At present I'm running an AMD 1.4 266 CPU, 512Meg Micron PC2100 Ram.I am thinking of going to AMD XP2100 CPU and Corsair PC3200 Ram. I know that the processor will give me a speed boost, but how about the Memory? Will PC3200 DDR give me a noticeable boost? Can the PC2100 DDR RAM be mixed with PC3200 Ram, what effects will it have? should I stay with the PC2100 RAM?Or should I just wait 'till the next generation CPU comes out and upgrade then?Any thoughts/suggestions welcome.http://members.cox.net/pstepanoff/images/OK_c2.gifPete S

Guest Max Cowgill

>Well actually more than one question. I'm thinking of >upgrading my Asus A7M266 MoBo based system and would like >to find out some of the benefits. >>At present I'm running an AMD 1.4 266 CPU, 512Meg Micron >PC2100 Ram. >>I am thinking of going to AMD XP2100 CPU and Corsair PC3200 >Ram. I know that the processor will give me a speed boost, >but how about the Memory? Will PC3200 DDR give me a >noticeable boost? Can the PC2100 DDR RAM be mixed with >PC3200 Ram, what effects will it have? should I stay with >the PC2100 RAM? >>Or should I just wait 'till the next generation CPU comes >out and upgrade then? >>Any thoughts/suggestions welcome. Unless you raise your FSB or switch to a motherboard that can take advantage of the faster RAM (i.e. KT333-based) you will see little to no difference between PC2100 and faster RAM. In fact, PC3200 is almost always slower than PC2100 due to latency issues (PC2100 can, generally, have much more agressive timings than PC3200). PC2700 or 3000 should be more than adequate. I'm in pretty much the same situation as you, I have an AXP 1700+ @ 2000+ running on a 150MHz FSB and at this point I'm limited by my RAM. I'm getting some Corsair XMS2700 or XMS3000 memory soon to see just how far I can push things.Max Cowgill

Thanks Max, I think I will stick with what I have untill the new AMD CPU's and Motherboards come out. My system runs just about everything I can throw at it, including the Latest Simflyers sceneries. I just got my yearly upgrade bug.:-wave http://members.cox.net/pstepanoff/images/OK_c2.gifPete S