Sign in to follow this  
Hans_Petter

Win 2000

I just got an offer to buy a Win 2000 OS from a Brit. Several people claim that it's more stable than Win98 and I'd appreciate your opinion.Specifically, there might be issues with:Voodoo 5 5500 driversFU 2FU 3Office 97 (I know that XP is designed to block its installation but I don't know whether Win 2000 accepts the old office suite)Does anyone use our favorite old hardware and applications with Win 2000?best regards,Hans Petter

Guest Ansgar

Hi Hans,I work with Win2000 long time now (Riva TNT2 M64) and it works quite stable for me (much more than Win95/98).Office 97 run

Since I just discovered FU2 as a stand-alone sim it's a minor disappointment that it won't install on Win 2000. But then, for the moment all of my sims are running with no registry references. My new installation of Win98 wiped the registry and swapping the disks made the designation of partitions change. Well, I just changed some paths within the sims (from G:.. to E:..), put shortcuts to the main *.exe files on the desktop and tried them out. FU2, FU3 and FS2002 all run fine without any references in the registry. Thus, I suspect that I might simply paste FU2 unto the disk and run it, even under Windows 2000. You might try burning a copy (or do a Ghost image) of an FU2 installation under Win98 and just transfer it to the PC running Win2000.What concerns me more is the video card. Are there any Win2000 drivers for the Voodoo 5 5500 card?best regards,Hans Petter

Hi,This page http://www.voodoofiles.com has lots of stuff for Voodoo cards, and it seems to me there is W2K drivers for DirectX8 available. I haven't tried them out since I run this thing in W98 :-)Jokke

Dear Hans,Everything else written in this thread is quite right.FU2 does run on Win2000. It's only the installer that tries to fail the install if it detects an OS it doesn't like.If you wish to install Flight Unlimited 2 under Win2000, there are two ways:1. Keeping Win 98 on one hard disk partition (a smaller one) and installing Win 2000 on your main partition, using M$'s multiboot option. Then you install FU2 using Win98, on whichever partition you want. It will safely run on Win2000 or Win98.Alternatively:2. Install FU2 on any PC with Win 98 and a CD writer, then copy the FU2 directory onto a couple of CDs, then copy the CDs into a new Win 98 directory.Happy flying,Lior Bar-On