Sign in to follow this  

custom scenery development

Does there exist a scenery design tutorial for new regions? I've done some custom work with FS2002 and like to apply that scenery to FU3. I've downloaded a couple utilities which describe outer terrain enahncements but I'm not sure if these apply to areas beyond the outer terrain. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.Rick

Are you saying that you have developed high resolution scenery that could possibly be used with FU3 ?Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Chris,What I have is synthetic scenery covering Pittsburgh, PA to Cleveland, Ohio. I generated this using Terrascene 2, Terrabuilder, and textures extracted from FS2002. I've also done some work in this area with elevation data. Seeing a London and Switzerland region in the library, I thougth it would be great to fly my local area in FU3.I've come across a few web sites that explain bits here and there but really nothing that pulls the entire process together.Rick

Guest Ansgar

Hello Rick,the "father" of HQ-scenery for FU3 is Andr

Thank you Ansgar! That is exactly the information I was looking for. I will investigate further.Rick

Thanks Chris. I have a feeling I'll need plenty of luck to take the first step. At first glance, scenery design under FU3 appears to be quite unique when compared to other sims. I've played with scenery generation (to varying degrees) with x-plane, fly!, and most recently FS2002.Looks like interesting reading and the thought of flying my local area in FU3 sure is attractive!Rick

Guest CaptRolo

Rick; Glad to hear it , I would like to fly in that area also . I live in Akron ,OH. With A lot of reading and experimenting you may be able to do it . Let me know if you need help finding aerial photographs.CaptRolo

CaptRolo,Hi neighbor! I'm in the Youngstown area. Actually, I hope to attempt the import of synthetic scenery much as I did with FS2002. Here's a screenshot of KYNG as an example:http://cc.ysu.edu/~rick/fs_ts2.jpgRick

Looking good! Even though I realize that you want to work on your local area primarily, how about adding detail to the default outer terrain?A guy like you might be just what we need to add some atmosphere to the West Coast, making flights from Seattle to San Franscisco more interesting. It's all "synthetic scenery" outside of the HiRes regions and the default is very generic.best regards,Hans Petter

Guest juvat2

Hi Rick,Have you been to this sight? This fellow had created Chicago using terrascene2. Also go to his main page.Like Hans said, it'd be real nice to get the generic outer terrain replaced with detailed terrain.Using terrascene2 I went thru the process of creating the area of grand canyon. After hours of downloading, I've got what terrascene seemed to need for the grandcanyon area terrain processing, but I don't have any idea on what to do with it. Additionally, finding free 4m orthophotos for the area eludes me. Even 16m/pixels would be better than whats out there now. T Lehto doesn't explain how he was able to get his t2 info to function in flight unlimited, whether his chicago is an added new hi-res region, or if he was able to "carve-out" a section of the OT and replace it. He talks about how the FU2/3 hi-res is set-up, so I suppose his Chicago is an added region. http://www.ratol.fi/~tlehto/fu2/sample.htmlGood luck to you, and could you post back on progress your making, good or bad?Thanks, Jim B.

Thanks for the link Jim. I will post over time with my success or failure. Interesting that the author states that the TS2 textures are 16m/pixel. I am currently using 4.8m/p with FS2002 (TS2 generated). 4.8 is possible by editing the TS2 project files. I'm also using FS2002 default textures as my source.Regardless, the Chicago results look outstanding!Rick

Guest juvat2

Outstanding Rick,Do you have a "tut" on how you do this with ts2?Thanks, Jim B.

Jim,Thanks for the encouraging words. I'm going back to TS2 in an attempt to get the roads a little sharper. If things work out, I'll put a few notes together.Thanks again,Rick