Sign in to follow this  
Christopher Low

PC Pilot article

I recently sent an e-mail to PC Pilot magazine, suggesting that an article could be written with respect to Flight Unlimited 3. I received a very quick and positive response, but it was suggested that maybe an article about FU2 would be more appropriate, considering that this is still available on the SOLD OUT budget label. After all, writing an article on FU3 is all very well, but if none of PC Pilot's readers can get hold of a copy afterwards..........well, you can see their point. However, the fact that FU3 exists, and that many add-ons for it are available at AVSIM will also be mentioned in this article, and that really was the main reason for my writing to PC Pilot in the first place.After several further e-mails, they have actually asked me to write the article for them ! I accepted this, and so we will now be seeing an article about Flight Unlimited 2 in an upcoming issue of PC Pilot. I am obviously very excited about this development, since it will hopefully regenerate interest in the Flight Unlimited series of flight simulators, and that can only be a good thing.One final point that I would like to make here is that I will be paid for writing this article. Now, that might seem obvious to many of you here, but that wasn't the reason that I wrote to them in the first place. In my opinion, if it wasn't for AVSIM and its large library of add-ons for FU3, then this article would never have been written. Therefore, after the article is published I intend to make a donation to the AVSIM website, as a thank you for providing a meeting place for all FU3 (and FU2) enthusiasts.Let me know your thoughts regarding this.Best Wishes,Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest Henri Kauhanen

That's wonderful, Chris! Let us know when it's published.:-wave

Guest Ansgar

Hi Chris,my congratualation to this great chance! It

Chris, very good initiative. Wish you all the best in writing it. There is a lot to write about in FU2/3; I hope they've given you enough space.

Naji,This article will be primarily about FU2, but that doesn't exclude the possibility of a future article describing FU3 in more depth (assuming that EA can sort themselves out regarding a budget re-release). I will do my best to promote FU2, FU3 and AVSIM as much as I can.Best Wishes,Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Ansgar,I doubt that I will be allowed to post the entire article here, but you can always buy a copy of the relevant issue of PC Pilot. After all, you will all surely want one as a souvenir !Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Well this is very good news!I hope they will give you the "front page".FU series deserves it.It is a good start that anyone can get a copy of FU2.A mutch harder thing is getting a copy of FU3.Is there no chance for some company to make copies of FU3??I do hope that E.A has an internet connection somewhere to see what the FU series has grown into.(some times I belive they are living in their own world, and cannot see anything)I have for the last month being involved with aeroclub's.- doingsound and video recording's for FU3 challenges.( many thank's to the club's for taking part in this).Steffen,John Lewis("glidernut") and myself are up to testing new FU3challenges, and we are starting with the glider's.With our new tool I think we can do anything with new addon's.exept 3D-modeling and High.res sceenery.We are about to do the first step.I have the onboard video copies ready.- still waiting for the CD-burning of the onboard sound recordings to return from a local studio.Then the first test of the challenge will be tested out to see what is possible.Steffen is an expert how to make a script file out of it.Glidernut knows what is needed for a great experience.I do have the nessesary contact's and I'm doing the recording's.Despite of all my time and planning doing deals with real life pilot'sfor a FU3.upgrade last month,( only two of those pilot's I know have ever heard of/or tried FU2/FU3). I've done this with great pleasure. It will be interesting to see what comes out of it.Have fun!Lars Peter.

Guest Ansgar

Hi Lars,hey, that things sounds interesting now. I sure will test the new glider challenge with real sound recordings!If you need any informations (sound implementation or so) pls. let me know, so may I can help with informations/modification.Waiting eagerly....Ansgar A.

What about screen shots ? Maybe we should post some of them to take the most interesting ?B.Adamski

Bogdan,Plenty of screenshots are certainly required to illustrate various points made in the article. In particular, I don't do much night flying myself, so maybe some of you could get some great night shots ? The .jpg file format is required, so that shouldn't be a problem.Best Wishes,Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Adding to my previous post, I can't be sure if any potential screenshots to be included in the article will be accepted if they have already been displayed here, but I will check this out with the editors of PC Pilot, and then get back to you.Chris Low,ENGLAND.PS. Remember that it is screenhots of FU2 that are required !

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest CaptRolo

Chris; Very good that you are writing an article on FU2 ,I will be sure to buy a copy . I rarely use FU2 now that FU3 is on my computer . I have flown many night flights in FU2 and when first starting in this sim ,I would fly at night with the lights out in room. With no ground lights , it was actually a little frightning complete black except for panel lights.It is very easy to get "spacially disorented" and you really have to trust instruments and ATC directions , then at 1000 ft look for airstrip lights and then go for lineup to land . I consider that good training for real flying.by the way EA stock is going up . CaptRolo

Ralph,I'm glad that EA stock is going up. Maybe they will find enough extra money to get FU3 out on budget ! As for night flying in FU2, maybe that is the reason that I have not done too much of this in FU3. I rather like to be able to see where I'm going when I fly, even in the dark !Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

You must try to make a flight with full moon ( in FU3 ). Then the ground is seen very good. In FU2 we can't choose the moon appearance.B.Adamski

Bogdan,I was referring to the fact that night flying in FU2 put me off even TRYING it in FU3. I do know that FU3 has plenty of ground lighting, and it looks a far more attractive proposition than that in FU2.Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png