Sign in to follow this  

Are helicopters out of the question for FU3?

Would it be possible to incorporate helicopters into FU3? I would be very interested if anyone could tell me the answer to this. If not, then why??? :-rotor

Guest Ansgar

Hi Dangermouse,As far as I know it is not possible to simulate the behavior of a realistic Heli in FU3. What sure is possible is to build an plane with an flight behavior which is similar to that of an heli but which is based on a normal plane (like a Fieseler Storch or so).The reason is, that the FU3-physics are simulating the "wing parts in the air" with all their forces and air drags etc. What we need for an heli is to simulate the rotoblades and the pitch drags with special controls for it.I miss this also in FS2002, since this is sure NOT an heli simulation too, it

I agree Ansgar. That helicopter in FS2002 just isn't controllable. I can just about get it to fly around, but try landing the b****y thing !Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest Lizardo

As a matter of fact, very few helo's in real life can go straight up from the ground in zero wind. That doesn't mean you don't fly, just not straight up.

Thankyou for your help Ansgar. I suppose if it was possible, someone would have already done so! I now understand why FU3 can't cater for helicopters. It seems a shame because a helicopter in FU3 would be the icing on the cake!

Guest Motormouse

Capt Bazza and Markus tried one maybe a year or so ago now , and it wouldn't work :( But maybe an Autogyro might?What do you think Ansgar,Daniel?:-wavePete

Guest Lizardo

I would guess they could, because an autogyro is just like an aircraft until the rotors get moving (they are not VTOL).

Guest Motormouse

You're right there, officially they are STOL!!:-wavePete

Guest DLM

Dangermouse,Having a "chopper" in FU3 is something that i have had in mind for a long time.But when Markus Brunner the flight model master of FU3 did not succeed i never thought i would...Ansgar,I can

And what about hot air baloon ?B.Adamski

Guest Ansgar

Hi together,in Jokkes last AI-package there is also the green twin chopper flying around as AI. So something like this is easy possible to realise with an perfect chopper model! What I also didn

Chris,To fly the helo in FS2002, set the General Realism to one click below max. It makes a huge difference. To get the most enjoyment from helo flying, check out the free lesson videos at HoverSafe. It takes time to learn to fly one but once you do, it's so cool!I wonder if the new Janes sim will ever have choppers.

Apparently Markus or someone did create a model with a vertical prop. However, that's only a small step. The flight physics and control of a helo is so different.An autogyro should work fine. As long as the rotor keeps spinning, it's similar enough to a fixed wing aircraft.

Guest Lizardo

The succesful autogyros had wings. The tactic was that the rotor "auto-gyrated"...producing more or less of a controled stall. (or controlled crash?). The rotor had a lesser amount to do with keeping them up in the air. (hard to explain without a video..but more or less when landing, you just pointed to nose way up and "whirly-gigged" down at a steep angle. Imagine a fully equipped Zenith, doing it all at 1/2 the horizontal distance(?)).