Sign in to follow this  
Christopher Low

OK guys, we need a vote

Mark Embleton at PC Pilot has asked me to suggest a couple of FU3 packages that could be included on the cover CD of the issue that will include the FU2 article. Since I don't want to appear biased in any way, I thought that it would be best to let all of you vote. Maybe we could select one scenery package and one aircraft package.So guys, START VOTING !Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest Motormouse

Chris,Most of our combined works are 'freeware', so it goes 'against the grain' to think that they may be used for commercial purposes,to improve the circulation of a magazine,even if it is to further the cause of FUIII :-)This would mean that most of the add-on planes would not be allowed,due to restrictions imposed by the originators of the various artworks.(eg Bill Rambow for the DC3, and Dreamfleet for most of Steve's creations)However, I don't mind if you wish to nominate any of my repaints/scenery files.Why not suggest one of your own scenery packages for Seattle area,and maybe Peter Ridge's version of the Stemme Motorglider,(but you would have to ask his permission).Or maybe DLM's Mach 3 'Blackbird'?:-wavePetePs Sorry to be 'negative', but copyright issues can get you into trouble with 'the boss'

Pete,Why do you think that including one or two FU3 packages on the PC Pilot CD is a problem ? There is a DOWNLOAD section in every issue of the magazine, and this is usually full of FS2002 freeware. Why shouldn't we promote FU2/FU3 in a similar way ?Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Well I really don't understand the point of using FU3 packagesand airplanes on the cover. as long as this article is about FU2.You can imagine people reading PC-pilot magazine,- get hooked up by the cover.- order FU2 an can not find anything of it available.Then "Hell" will break loose.May be I've missed something about the FU2 article, but if this is not also for FU3, I see no point why the magazine should bring upFU3 covers into this. Just my two cents.Lars Peter.(If also FU3 will be covered I'll second the vote for the DC3.)

Guest Motormouse

Umm I didn't say it would be a problem,I just said, that you had to be careful not to infringe upon anyone else's copyright when selecting what packages are included on cd.As for those MSFS files, well I think its a case of there being so many users and creators of MSFS Freeware that one or two files each month (figuratively speaking) represents a small drop in the ocean.ie no-one is going to go chasing copyright infringement,if it adds topublicity for their latest works.But,with FUIII, there are fewer users/creators, and much of what we have now has only been possible by the use of files which were created as 'Shareware' originally for use on MSFS, such as the DC3 cockpit and Dreamfleet's cockpits,and these creators may take exception to their works being used in this way,to the extent that any future use of their works in FUIII,(future projects to me and you)may be declined.And,if I remember rightly,DOWNLOAD, sections usually point you to a URL where the appropriate files may be found,which is different to having the files published on disc.Otherwise my vote would be the same as Bob's,the DC3!Just be careful how you go about it Chris,I would ask Tom for his opinions too, before you get in too deep, copyright is a thorny issue,and Avsim management have very strong views about it.:-wavePete

Guest twsimfan

Chris,First off I am a subscriber to PC Pilot (The mag not the CD) and I look forward to your article. Congrats!I have to agree with Pete that some caution should be used regarding the distribution of the packages. Take my stuff as an example... you guys are all free to download them... pass them around to each other... borrow pieces for your own creations... whatever. But you may not put it into a commercial collection. The reason is that it includes other people's copyrighted material... I don't have that right and I therefore can't grant it to you. Well you wouldn't use my stuff anyway... too dated. But in the case of the DC-3... I would think that at the very least you would need permission from Ansgar & Steve... they know what their arangements with the various FS creators will and will not allow. They can best determine it this would violate those arangements or not. I urge you to get the permission of at least that 1st level of "author" prior to proceeding. I don't think there would be a problem with your FLED work. Perhaps some of the new scenery and scenery tools as well... but there again the authors probably should give their OK. I would also suggest contacting Gideon... his utilities would make a fine addition (IMHO) provided he likes the idea.Good luck on your blossoming literary career! :)

Guest DLM

"Or maybe DLM's Mach 3 'Blackbird'?"Thanks for the thought Pete! But i feel it is not completed enough to be included on a magazine CD.If permision is given from all the authors my vote also goes for the DC-3.// Daniel

Tom, Pete, everyone.........You all seem to be under the illusion that I am just going to select a couple of packages, and then pass them on to PC Pilot. The REAL situation is that I would SUGGEST a couple of packages to them, and then they would ASK THE PERMISSION of everyone who was involved with the development of the packages in question BEFORE adding them to the CD.You didn't seriously think that I was just going to do this without making sure that the developers gave their permission, did you ? Don't you know me better than that ?Anyway, what I would say here is that I think that the DC3 would be perfect for inclusion on the CD. Can you tell me whose permission is required for PC Pilot to do this ? I know that several of you are quite often involved in the development of these aircraft. As for the scenery package............well, would anyone care to suggest something ?Best Wishes,Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I'm voting for add-ons for FU2, planes for example. I've made 1 file with the zeppelin for FU2 ( static zeppelin over the mountains ).B.Adamski

Lars,My first e-mail to PC Pilot was about the possibility of writing an article about Flight Unlimited 3, and the large range of add-ons that are available on this site. This was intended to attract those users of FU3 that are completely unaware that ANY add-ons are available. Mark Embleton (PC Pilot) pointed out that an article on FU3 probably wasn't justified at the moment (considering that copies are extremely hard to obtain), but that he would be interested in an article about FU2 (since this IS available). Anyway, he also suggested that mention of FU3 and the AVSIM library could be made at the end of the article, and THIS is why I believe that adding a couple of packages on the PC Pilot CD is justified. After seeing a couple of packages running on FU3, readers of PC Pilot might want to see what ELSE is available.Now do you see my point ?Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Pete,The files mentioned in the DOWNLOAD section of PC Pilot are mostly available on that issue's cover CD. The odd one isn't, but that is generally the exception (at least, that's true as far as the latest issue is concerned).Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest Ansgar

Hi Chris,hi Tom,thank you all for voting to the DC3 of our team. The model itself is mainly created from my person, so I try to answer you here to your question:In this case (FU2/3 article in PC Pilot from Chris) I sure gave my permission to use the DC3-C47 or DC3 XC-47, and also my B747-400 on the freeware CD, because there are no direct commercial reasons, and because it mainly gives promotion for this great forum! BUT as Tom said, and as stated in the readme.txt coming with the DC3 I

Ansgar,Thanks for the response. Can you please contact these three to get their permission, since it seems that the DC3 has universal appeal !Best Wishes,Chris Low,ENGLAND.PS. I have sent an e-mail to Tom Allensworth regarding this entire situation, since I want to do everything "by the book". Legal issues are important, but the feelings of each and every one of you mean more to me.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Chris.Sure,- that's very good. I know you are able to write an outstanding article for both FU2/3.I am Looking forward to see it.oh.- and I still vote for that DC-3.Thank's.Lars Peter.;)