Sign in to follow this  
Christopher Low

Floatplane simulation

Guest Allan_D

Hi gang,I've been in float planes a few times, I have had some hands on yoke time in a 1952 Beaver. I must say that if I ever see water on the windscreen from a landing in that plane I'll never go back to the same outfitter :-lolThe prop must of been to low and in the water, It would be to late to save yourself at that point, I know that's a cool effect in FU3 but not very real A Beaver just settles in the water the same as landing on a dirt strip ( With weels of course ) :-lolactually it's a little smoother, you really can't tell when you went from flying to being on the water,I was looking out at the water as we set down, There is a very small rooster tail from the floats, The Plane slows down very fastMS2K2 Beavers fly as close to the real thing as you'll ever find in a game,And I fly the best Beavers for FU3 by TW ( Thanks Tom )They are closer then the stock ones.FU3 The Beavers handle the slow water taxi lots better,FU3 handles the weather and wind far better and the bumpy air that I've been in for real many timesHave Fun :-jumpyhttp://avsim.com/hangar/air/bfu/logo70.gifAllan

Thanks for the info, Allan. It is good to know these things. I've also been told that when landing a real floatplane, you don't hear water sounds whatever! We do have lots of misconceptions, don't we?Cheers.

Maybe someone could convert the microlight ?Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest Allan_D

Hi Gang,Naji,There would be no way to hear water sounds above the engine noise from the Beaver, The radial motor is almost deafening if you remove the ear protection, Lizardo,Thanks for the link, Cool videoChris,There already is a nice Ultra float plane for FS, It is fun to flyHave Fun :-jumpyhttp://avsim.com/hangar/air/bfu/logo70.gifAllan

Allan,Thanks for the suggestion, but if by FS you mean "FS2002", then I can tell you that I have removed this flight simulator from my PC's hard disk. I just decided that I would rather concentrate on a flight sim that I love, rather than TRY to like one that I currently don't.Best Wishes,Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Allan,I agree with the issue you raise about water droplet on the windscreen not being realistic for floatplanes. Floatplanes are just too high above the surface for this to happen.However, I think the effect in FU3 was done for the Renagade, which has a hull and sits very low in the water with its engine overhead. I'm not sure, but perhaps the Goose could get some splash too? Unfortunately, you can't turn off the effect for floatplanes such as the Beaver and Otter.

Guest Lizardo

This is sort of difficult. Per www.seaplanes.org and FAA etc, a one foot wave is a WAVE; therefore: stay home. But on the ocean, a 1 foot wave is not even a wave. (PBY's & Coast Guard have worked in 3' etc. Note: "SEA" anything is far different than "water" anything). On a single engine (say a cessna/piper/DeHavilland) ..if you have water on windshield, you have water in the engine air intakes. (cough cough). Is it "real"..I don't dare think so. Is it enjoyable to see?..yes.Just as the splashing sound of water is. Another tiny point, as wheeled airplanes gain speed, they progress. As a water plane does, the drag increases until you are "on step" (on "tip-toes" you might say). And they stop quickly when "full down", not like some sims planes which leisurely wander to a almost stop. (think of, or see, a boat going fast killing the power..it throws everyone forward. Hint: until on step, or when "down" you're a BOAT with wings. :))

Guest Allan_D

Hi Guys,Peter,They maybe just added this for a cool effect, Be it Realistic or not, It does add a little touch to the game.(You knew I wasn't complaining about the splash effect) I just stated that it doesn't happen in the real world from a BeaverI agree a Renagade probably would gain a splash or two on landing.I,ve never rode in a Renagade for real, That would be a treat if I ever have that chance.Lizardo,Agreed a real Beaver slows very quickly on the water, It takes them quite a ways to get up out of water on takeoff also, Have Fun :-jumpyhttp://avsim.com/hangar/air/bfu/logo70.gifAllan

Lizardo wrote:Per www.seaplanes.org and FAA etc, a one foot wave is a WAVE; therefore: stay home. But on the ocean, a 1 foot wave is not even a wave. (PBY's & Coast Guard have worked in 3' etc. Note: "SEA" anything is far different than "water" anything)Yeah, the big difference is that boat-hulled planes can cut through the waves, whereas float-based planes stay on top and can capsize more easily.Here's a photo of the Seawolf (the Renegade is the GA version) in some waves (granted this is not an ocean but the hull is designed for rough water military, search and rescue, and drug enforcement ops).http://www.lakeaircraft.com/SEAWOLF%20PROP...es/image002.jpg

Guest Lizardo

Yes, and the "hulled ones" are built just like boats...with two angles comming up from the keel, and a "tumble home" at the top. (a moulding or flange where the hull meets the side..that "line" on the Lake from the nose back (see above post). Floats have them too. A point to remember is that "float planes" are wheeled planes adapted to water. A seaplane is a SEA plane..which usually has wheels. A sea plane, you land in water, and taxi to land. Should do with all amphib "floats" also.

Hi Chris! et al,Have you ever got your floatplane too close into the mud?. In FU-3 you experience the real thing!; try getting it back into the water by jerking the engine and rudder pedals.... you will feel the real thing!!

Hey, that's right. I forgot about that.Another handy thing, at least in the Renegade/Seawolf, is to put the gear down in the water to keep the aircraft from floating away. The gear makes a pretty good water brake.