Sign in to follow this  
Christopher Low

E-mail Address Book

Can anyone tell me if there is a way to save all of my e-mail addresses when I want to re-format the hard disk ? In the past, I have copied them all down on paper, and then added them again after re-installation. There surely must be a better (and easier) way than this !I use Microsoft Outlook Express.Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Not sure about Outlook/Outlook Express since I don't use them. But all email clients should be able to export to a CSV (comma delimited text) file. Then you can just copy the file to a floppy disk and import it after you reinstall Windows.As a side note, you may want to consider using a different email client since Outlook is a very popular platform for catching and spreading viruses.

Guest Lizardo

That's quite true, Outlook is a stinker. Seems like you could save them to a diskette though. (I use the old way: spiral notebook).

Guest Stearman

>Can anyone tell me if there is a way to save all of my >e-mail addresses when I want to re-format the hard disk ?Sure there is:Simply click on Tools-AddressBook to get the Address Book window, then File-Export and choose the WAB type.Alternatively, you can directly copy your *.wab file to a diskette. Look for it in ..Application DataMicrosoftAddress Book, which is a path under your main Windows folder if you're using Windows 98, or your user's profile folder if you use Windows NT "derivatives" such as Windows 2000 or XP.Part of my real-life job consists of replacing networked computers when they get too old, and this involves previously saving all the user's data, so I do that all the time.Regards,http://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3cee753e186c4ee6.gif [h3]Stearman[/h3]

This doesn't apply to Outlook since its address book is woven into Windows but this is my take: With a stand-alone email client as Eudora one may simply copy the whole thing to another partition / burn a CD and put it back. If you want the registry to know it's there you'd reinstall it and then paste your old version over the top. If you just paste it back it won't be in the registry but it will work anyway.Hans Petter