Sign in to follow this  

Re: Need help installing FU 1 on a 500mhz ME system....

I have the original FU1 and have tried many times to install this prog...Ok.. I am a genuis only when I stumble upon a hiccupp in a system and correct it...Unfortunately when it comes to DOS progs...I am an idiot... I have tried many times to install this prog and when I do in goes to copy data from the cd and I go into the directory I d/l to and don't see an executable file... But when I install and finish and it says to run FLIGHT you need to type FLIGHT...SO I do...and it tell me bad command...But when I check the directory in DOS it shows flight in the list.... Someone please help...I am having withdraws from not being able to play this game...I love it and want to get it going...... Thanks to all who reply with information....I will post a message when I am successful...James

Guest juvat2

Hi James,I didn't know dos programs could be run on ME. I always understood its doesn't have true dos capability like on win95 and 98, just some kind of "windos for ME". I do remember trying to install a dos program called Geosniff on an office ME system and it never would install. Finally I called the Comsonics techy's and they said dos programs won't run on ME systems and my company would have to wait till Comsonics came out with a Windows version.That was back in 2000, so maybe things are different now, or maybe those guys told me wrong. I got the windows version finally.The wise ones here will probably know the right scoop. If they don't, good ole Anandtech.com should be able to help you. Check on their forums. Sorry I couldn't post with positive knowledge or tips.Where did you get FU1? That recent and where? I'd like to get one myself; a windows version though, these guys here have posted the windows version is nicer than the dos one.Heres a link I got from anandtech, these folks say theres a way to get real dos into ME systems with a patch they have available for download.http://www.geocities.com/mfd4life_2000/Good luck,Jim B.

Jim,Anyone who told you that DOS programs are incompatible with Windows ME is just talking nonsense. Like any system, whether you can get a particular DOS program to run or not will depend more on your own PC system specification, and the quirks of that particular piece of software. Having said that, I can't get the DOS version of FU to run on my PC, and the Windows 95 version runs with no screen display ! This may have something to do with the screen resolution and graphical settings that I have at the moment, rather than an incompatibility as such.Anyway, DOS programs can be run with Windows ME.Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest juvat2

Hi Chris,You have both versions of FU? "Lucky-dog" as they say here in the states. Maybe I'll check computermate and see if they have one.I wonder if FU on newer faster systems is like Janes Longbow 1/2. Newer systems for running good ole longbow, sometimes have to be run with "tomuchmemory" and "cpukiller" utilities. I have to do that each time to play Longow2 and Longbow. My system is win98, 383 pc133, amd 750 tbird and I definitely have to use the utilities to run them.http://www.cpukiller.com/products/cpukiller/index.htmlhttp://www.simhq.com/simhq3/sims/combat_he...utilities.shtmlMemory can be maually controlled. I don't do it though, to spooky for me to be fiddling around in there. In the advance tab in sysconfig, you can do pretty much the same thing as "to much memory" by adding a line to your system.ini, under "Limit system memory too___." 128 should be fine.These utilities are not for longbow specifically, but are general use utilities. They allow the user to lessen their amount ram and processor speeds, so, they'll work for FU if to much memory and/or speed turns out to be the culprit.So, Comsonics pulled a fast one on me, aye? That win version of geosniff was high dollar. Oh well, it's tons better than the dos version, better interface, runs faster, easier to load and add newride-out maps/regions.They told me ME does not allow true dos to be accessible on start-up, the dos prompt was accessible with a ME dos floppy, and that prompt that did come up did give access to this real/true dos thing. No, I shall stop, my memory fails to give exactly what they said. Maybe one day I'll find my old notes. I might have read ME review articles on no full dos support in ME, but just can't extract from my moldy one and only brain cell the details. At the time I found it interesting that MS would do that. So I knew not to get ME, was afraid my Dos games like Knights of the Sky and Flying Corps wouldn't run.What dos programs were you successful in loading/operating Chris? They run okay with out a hitch?Well, You all take care, time to start my Memorial Day week-end.Jim B.

Guest juvat2

Pardon me NovaK James,I don't remember seeing you post here before(tomuchmemory? Not hardly.heh-heh), so, welcome to Avsim and Flight Unlimited!Jim B.

Guest Motormouse

Here's what you need to do:Install from the cdrom in the usual way,then before running the sim,come to Avsim library and download these patches:http://ftp.avsim.com/library/sendfile.php?DownloadID=9998Copy the patches to a temp file,and from within windows,double click on each of the .exe files. These will create some extra files within the Flight Unlimited folder,find these extra files and double click on them too (they are dos patches)Then comes the tricky bit :-( , most modern soundcards are not recognised by the sim, so you will have to find a dos based 'emulator'program to kid the sim that your shiny new whatever sound card is an older 'steam driven' version.You will need that when it comes to the 'setup' stage.Hope this helps:-wavePetePs, I think it was Quaxo who managed to get it running on his system recently (last year,maybe).

That's an important point to note Pete. It's quite often the soundcard that is the troublesome part of getting a DOS program to run these days. The only DOS software that I currently run is my satellite tracker, and this obviously has no interest in sound ! Even so, it banishes the myth that DOS programs don't work with Windows ME.Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Yeah....First timer on the site...I know.. .well it doesn't matter...I enjoy a good forum once in a while.... If you could point me in the right direction to get the windows version that would simplify things... Thanks again for the welcoming...Take Care, James

Pete...I did what you said and installed the game then unzipped the patch files and all but one part of the patch seems to extract...The one file that does not open is the FIXFBAT... When I go to open the file it says..These are how they appear on the C promt:file not found-flight.batfile not found-flight.oldfile not foundError: patch to batch file failed...followed by:It tries to load the game..I even have sound..first initial prop sound...But then it goes to code when switching to graphics mode..I have a geforce 3 and have never had problems...I think that it's the patch causing this problem..but not too convinced..Any help would be greatfully appreciated.. Oh..also I have a Soundblaster 128 of which this prog has the normal SB drivers already available...so I know that the SB card isn't causing this... Talk to ya soon. By the way..my email address is odaaidihoo@msn.com and if you want I can call direct by emailing you or you emailing me phone numbers...Or just over the internet is fine...Thanks...James

Guest juvat2

Hi James,One of the things stopping me from enjoying the dos games previously mentioned is the inability of me or maybe my sound card to perform in dos mode. I've been to the sound blaster sight many times, and despite activating dos program exe "this" or "that" from their faq, I still am unable to fully enjoy the programs to include the old venerable duke nukem 3d. I repeatably receive crashes to desk top with error message "sb dos emulation not enabled". Though I know it is 'cause I've verified the fact in dos per SB's instructions and the IRQ's, addresses are correct. Actually Flying Corps with the 3d patch will run, but sound is very choppy.My sound card is an sb live x-gamer. Were it not for my beloved Thief 1/2 games sounding so good with EAX, I would've yanked this sound card when I got the Aopen Ak73 Pro(a) that has a sound capability.(will save on buying an amp as well). Before anyone says it, this was happening on my old mobo, ASUS A7V-133. My old board did not have any sound chips on it so I didn't have to worry about conflicts with the X-gamer in that area.(well, I did in regards to IRQ addressing verses my Voodoo 5-5500pci Irq for sound in windows. SB's sight got me fixed up proper for that.) Right now, all is good with my sound and graphics.Perhaps James you could check your mobo sight and see if there's a sound card conflict fix for DOS games?In the mean while, the fellas here may have run into your problem before and have more ideas to help you out.Hope FU1 works out for you,Jim B.

Guest Motormouse

That's definitely a soundcard problem :-(I had exactly the same fault when I first loaded the sim.Nice propellor sound,then crash to desktop!The patchfile Fixfbat,is run from within the sim,so you don't have to worry about that.The patches take it to Win95 (Win98 wasn't around yet) compatible, and Looking Glass never got around to Win98 for FUI.I think I included the readme in the .zip?Back to soundcard,the problem is that you may have a Sb128 (so do I),but the sim won't recognise it as a Sb128, because Windows is PROBABLY using its generic dos driver,MSCDX.bat.You will need to do a search for a card specific DOS emulator programme,on my system this resulted in the sim accepting my Sb128 as an AWE32!WinDrivers.com used to be the place to go, but they went 'payware' forfiles that were supposedly free,so you could try Download.com,or failing that do a search under MS-DOS as the operating system,using one of the old cards from the list that the sim recognises,on the Creative Labs web site.Unfortunately this is one of those trial and error situations,what works for you,might not work for anyone else,it depends on your system.Hope this helps:-wavePete

Hey Pete...I got it to work finally...When you mentioned the read me file I sorta felt stupid for not seeing it...I found it and installed it correctly this time... SO my graphics are pretty damn good considering it's DOS based..all in all its great to have it back working again... Now I have two more problems concerning this prog...I have a Wingman Extreme Digital flightstick..and also a Microsoft fiber optic mouse...All of which are recognized in the program to at least move It is all concentrated into the upper left quadrant...Any suggestions for another patch or something... I appreciate all your and everbody elses help as well...Thanks...James