Sign in to follow this  
Christopher Low

Boeing 737-800

I read something on the FS2002 forum that surprised me. Apparently the engine nacelles of the NG 737's are circular (rather than being somewhat flat bottomed like the earlier 737's). Can anyone confirm this ? If so, Ansgar may have to modify the engines on his Ryanair 737-800 !I can't say that I have ever noticed this, but then again I haven't really been looking for it either. After all, there ARE other ways of distinguishing a NG 737.Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest Motormouse

Chris,it all depends on what engine the customer selects,the Cfm intake is indeed flattened at the bottom,(done to provide ground clearance), its not as well defined as the flattening of the -300 and -400 series intake,you can see the intake x-section is not a true circle in this official Boeing Corp press shot.:-wavePete

Guest jonpoint

Chris,Just flew to Wellington (NZ) and back on the weekend on a brand-new Polynesian 737-800. I can tell you that:The CFM engines have a more flattened underside than a 400's and are larger in diameter. Waiting to board, a 400 sat next to the 800 so I had a good view. At the rear of the nacelle they're different too with a longer centre tube, probably 10-12" long.The CFM engines are remarkably quiet. I was in row 12 (wing forward) and when starting, you cannot hear when the starter disengages! Sounds like an angry Electrolux under the floor... Next thing, we moved off on the taxiway - I thought we were being towed :-)The wingtips look rather funky up close - an associate commented that they'd bent them up to fit between the mountains...A nice aircraft to travel in and a vast improvement on the 400.Jon Point*************************(effyouthree@hotmail.com)*************************

Guest jonpoint

Chris,Further to my previous post, my comments may have been a bit misleading! The 800's nacelle itself has a wider, flattened area than the 400 but the edges (of the flat part) are rounder. When you sit in the intake (!) the internal radius is not flattened either so I guess they LOOK rounder than a 400's. This is certainly the case in the photo posted here. It's just when you sit them beside each other (as I had the opportunity to see in WLG) you notice that, probably due to the nacelle's larger size, the 'flat' looks bigger.Sorry for the confusion. When my photos are developed, I'll show you! Suffice to say, Ansgar's nacelles look perfect :-).Jon Point*************************(effyouthree@hotmail.com)*************************

Guest Quaxo

Hi Chris,"If so, Ansgar may have to modify the engines on his Ryanair 737-800 !" ... This means that Ansgar made such a plane for FS? If so, where can I download it? :9 Cristian

Cristian,I was referring to Ansgar's AI 737-800.Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Thanks for the information guys. It sounds like I was given some incorrect information on the MSFS Forum (there's a surprise :-lol). I wondered why I hadn't noticed any difference when filming airliners at Manchester Airport.Best Wishes,Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png