Sign in to follow this  

Learning Aerobatics in FUnlimited?

on another board I asked a question about a sim program to learn aerobatics with. They recommended Flight Unlimited. They never specified which version. They stated that the sim had a manual, as well as aerobatic "training missions" in which I sit in a plane with a "virtual pilot" guiding me through these.Is this feature in Flight Unlimited I, II, or III, or all of them? If it is in all of them, is there a difference between the "missions/lessons"? Is one version better than another for learning this kind of stuff?Thanks!Brain21

Guest Motormouse

This could be difficult,you will need to search out a copy of the original Flight Unlimited (now known amongst fans as FUI).It was designed for aerobatics. FUII and FUIII are more for 'general aviation' type flying.It was published on the 'Virgin games white label' (in UK anyway),once you have that you will then need to download the DOS patches for it to run on win98.The patches are here in Avsim library http://ftp.avsim.comlibrary/sendfile.php?DownloadID=9998Failing that,Flight Unlimited III and the add-on SU31,also from avsim library athttp://ftp.avsim.com/library/sendfile.php?DownloadID=12412is a good alternate.Hope this helps:-wavePete

So, I guess this will not run under NT or 2k :-(Is there any other sim that would help teach that kind of maneuvering that will run under NT or Win2k?Brain21

Guest Motormouse

Yep I think it will run in winNT or 2K,certainly it HAS been run on ME, see topic 305, posted by NovaKon 25 May 2002.:-wavePete

Guest glidernut

Hi Staggerwing,Iv just tried for the second time, to perches flight Unlimited fromhttp://www.compuexpert.com/Now I remember y I dident get it the ferst time.Thay only sel to the states,and Im in the UK.Grrrrrr. glidernut.:-wave

Guest Staggerwing

Okay, no less than 11 copies of FU 1,2 and 3 on Ebay right now. Some ending in hours.Dos version of FU1 with "Buy now" (no auction) $5 USD $3.50 ship in US Item # 1358714319Dos version AND will export $5 USD Item # 1357953498GLIDERNUT !FU1 with "BUy now" $8.99 USD $3.50 ship US Will ExportItem # 1358915371Fu1 with "Buy Now" $9.99 USD NO shipping charge Item # 1358012627FU 2 Several days left no bids starts at $1.00 USD $1.50 ship USItem # 1358716120Fu 3 3days left starts at $15.00 USD $4.95 ship US onlyItem # 1358493069Go get them :-)Staggerwing

Guest glidernut

Hi Staggerwing,I am unsusesfal in finding the right "BUy now" web sight,Im sory to be a pane, but can you give me the actual sight ?GLIDERNUT !FU1 with "BUy now" $8.99 USD $3.50 ship US Will ExportItem # 1358915371 glidernut.:-wave

Guest juvat2

Nice tip Staggerwing, I just put my next day delivery order in.Jim B.

Guest Staggerwing

You bet Jim, glad you connected with one... :-)Staggerwing

Guest glidernut

Hi Staggerwing,No thay will only ship to the states, not the UK.I carnt even sine in, thay not recognise my e,maileO, well thanks for trying.glidernut.:-wave

Guest Staggerwing

Glidernut,Well, you DO have to register with Ebay before you can email another Ebay buyer or seller. Also need to so you can buy... Keep in mind this is a GOOD thing as they can keep things on the up and up better if they know everyone using the system.This is the page for the one you asked about... clearly they do ship internationally :-) As does one other that's stated on the their page too.Staggerwinghttp://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3d06563a383f00ea.jpg

>Yep I think it will run in winNT or 2K, >certainly it HAS been run on ME, see topic 305, posted by >NovaK I looked at that, but I don't think it will work. I am not sure what kind of architecture ME uses, but NT/Win2k/XP a re VERY different from Dos/95/98 in that NT doesn't allow direct hardware access. If a game is running using DirectX 8 then it will work, otherwise no. Furthermore, if those patches make any sort of calls to the system root directory, they will all fail as system root on a Win95/98 box is C:windows while on NT/2k it is C:winnt. :-(Maybe it's just me, but it seems kinda silly that FUI is the only program out there that will teach aerobatic moves, etc.!THanks for the help,Brain21

Guest Motormouse

You're right there of course,it is silly that there has been onlyFU I for teaching aerobatics. It was way ahead of its time when it came out, used fluid dynamics for the atmosphere modelling, you really can flick roll a Pitts S2 with that sim, but I guess thats what its downfall was,it was (is) not an easy sim to fly, you have to keep 'HOTAS' all the time,straight and level flight is elevated to an artform!Personally, I would suggest that if you find a copy somewhere,install it and give it a try,you've got nothing to lose,or maybe from a slightly different perspective, try one of those sims that simulates flying a R/C model.:-wavePete