Sign in to follow this  
Christopher Low

Latest impressions of FS2002

I think that I am starting to like FS2002 more than I expected. I had initial problems getting to grips with the flight characteristics of the Baron, since it flies somewhat differently to that in FU3. However, I have just completed three successful circuits (including take off and landing) at the same airfield. The only problem was stopping the aircraft before it crashed through the hedge at the end of the runway ! I guess that's my fault for picking an airfield with a runway only 1600 feet long (Cromer by Gary Summons). The brakes on the FS2002 aircraft certainly aren't quite as effective as those in FU3, although I don't really know which one is simulated more accurately.Anyway, the Autogen scenery in England actually looks pretty impressive. Lots of trees and villages dotted around, and for once the ground textures look pretty good. I was also impressed with the fluffy clouds, although these did a good FU3 impression when they mysteriously faded away at one point ! I haven't tried a big airport with ATC yet, but I will get there soon enough.I still think that the interface could be improved, and a VFR cockpit should be top of the list for FS2004. However, I have managed to "compress" the Baron panel down to half screen, without making it look too squashed ! This is good enough to provide a considerably better view, since the default one is far too restricted for my liking.So, after criticising FS2002 for over six months, I am finally getting to grips with it. Maybe I just didn't give it enough of a chance when I first tried it. After all, it did follow a very long line of turkeys ! I will now be able to explore all of those wonderful UK 2000 airports by Gary Summons (I currently have a total of 84, with Manchester on the way). Many of these will be receiving AI add-ons in the very near future, so I can look forward to plenty of other air traffic during my flights.PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS DOESN'T MEAN THAT I WILL BE REMOVING FU3 FROM MY HARD DISK. THAT WOULD BE RIDICULOUS.Best Wishes,Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest Staggerwing

I believe I'm speechless :-eek :-)Staggerwing

Guest Lizardo

I usually hit "W" and get just a row of guages for VFR flying (up in alt>views you can get a marker for the where the plane's nose is pointing which helps) and alt>world>maps occasionally.

Did you change the "repeat" slider for whatever control you have assigned for brakes? I find the brakes in FS2002 to be more effective than in FU3, not the other way around...Also, do try messing around with the AI traffic. It isn't hard, and the results can be great. You can get real airliners instead of the fake ones that come with the sim.What I really don't like about FS2002 is that the patterns around the smaller airports are empty. In FU3, it's a great feeling to approach a small airport and still see a couple of Cessnas doing touch'n go's. Also there's the dynamic weather and wind simulation in FU3...FS2002 clouds may look better, but they do not behave in a realistic way.Still, I spend about 75% of my sim time with FS2002 these days.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Jimmi,The realism settings are at the central point, so I don't know if this affects the brakes. As for the AI traffic, Gary Summons will shortly be releasing AI tracks for the major airports in his UK2000 Scenery series, and I have been told that other users are developing AI data for the smaller airfields also. Since these airports are the ONLY ones that I will be using, I think that I have a lot of interesting air traffic to look forward to !Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

It's nice to make an impression :-lolChris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I cannot get used to the FS2002 scenery. Ok, there are a bit more trees and stuff. VFR sucks.

Jorgen,I can understand your problem with FS2002 regarding VFR flight, since generic textures make it rather difficult to know exactly where you are. However, so long as I don't go higher than about 4000 feet, I actually quite like the scenery textures in the UK. Too much altitude causes the "chess board" effect, whereby the generic nature of the textures becomes all too obvious.I am not convinced that ground textures in other parts of the world are all that impressive. It just seems that those in England are better than most.Best Wishes,Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Speaking of scenery, I wonder if there's any way to "export" the hires textures from FU2 and FU3 and use them in FS2k2.

Peter,That would be extremely useful where the UK megatiles are concerned. I would love to be able to use these in FS2002.Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png