Sign in to follow this  
Guest glidernut

Are you on the list ?

Guest glidernut

crayfish cadalec crayfish Hawk Henri, stevehess otter5555 Pete Collis Ansgar WolfieA Lars Peter Galaasen Motormouse Jokke Winky Peter M Ridge Allan_D Hans_Petter glidernut jagabom Tiegan Bjorn Karlsson Jure Dolanec Tomi jimbo Staggerwing Roland van roy agtim Cristian Cristian,s Hennie daniel2385 adams Ralph Mace Hyperfinch DonAnselmo Gideon Pertzov Markus Brunner John Voznak Chirs low Alan Black Tom Wunder Naji Chehabeddine Olivier FRITZ Shelton Ansgar Tonni Jorgensen Lior Andre Meystre Alan Black Bye Mike Boney Don Blake Jim Buffett Steffen Schiedek Ben Clark Roland, Uppsala, Jouko Huovinen Francois OK, now Iv got your atenshon,Perhaps you can anser a queston or 2 ?Youv all doun-lowded it, so wat do you think ?Which set of variomiter sounds do you frefer ?Dus it mater if the sounds are reel ?Wat do you think thay shoud sound like ?Do you know which vario mode represents lift ?Are you all so fritend of upseting us, you dont like to say ?Has any one managed to take off from any of my packages ?Do you want better instrucshons on copy & pasteing cordinats ?Am I the only one to see Steffen,s scripting as a solooshon to the icon problem ?Have you read the informashon just inside eech package ?Do you think all packages shoood be dun lick this, or non ?So cum on you lot, dont you have an opinion ? glidernut.:-wave

Guest juvat2

HI Glidernut,Takes a while to form an opininion on gliding, and the enhancement you guys made. Why? Hell, I had to learn how to glide first, at least get proficient enough to post anything about it. Also wanted to get smooth with geographic orientation of the glider clubs.SO, for orientation purposes, I took your 4 handy maps, and with Corel Draw 7, I merged them all together as one handy map reference small enough to print to a 8.5 x 11 sheet of paper. That took me a while. Zoomed in all tight, eyes already weary from working mid-shift, and ever so nerve wrackingly slowly, merged them together ensuring geographic features overlay in the right places with out disturbing your map notes. Successfully completed that, saved as a cdr. Opened with PSP and the edges of the old border over-lays can still be seen. Is there a way to script FU3 to display this map instead of the default map? If not, would importing with resview be possible/ adviseable?Would have posted the map were it not for that. I'm kinda proud of it.Now then to learn the orientation, save, position number system. (Oh, Steffen, I appreciate you sending the 95 version of the tool, but my outlook account must've blocked it for some reason. Did the same to Capt Rolo when he was helping me with something some time ago. No worries though, I've got the maual placing down pat pretty much.)So I go the manual way figured out. Ended up using my quickview plus to read the excel file so was able to see the preselection sheets for copy/pasting.Then I needed to go through and retain Johns 10 points to good gliding.Re-study and watch carefully your bbx.My first choice was Glider Club (0). Yes, by the Olympics. A question immediately came to my mind. I tested this via quick flight, but don't know enough about gliding to make a determination myself. Which weather file is best to use for soaring? MGC or Johns Good Lift? Like I said before, I tried both weathers in the same area and I think the winner is Johns Good Lift.Oops, the vario sounds. When I soar, I let it run, trying to tune its warnings to the velocity indicator, speed indicator, and altitude gauge. After I feel comfortable enough that I won't smash into a mountain, I hit "T" till its disabled. Sorry John, the sound is really annoying to me. How in the world can you deal with it in a real flight? It's gotta be to distracting. Your inquiry as to an optional sound. I have an idea, but I can only do gaming after working midshift and I can't remember what it is right now, but will. You refer to alternate evario sounds that you've provided, I assume you must've uploaded another file so will go back to the library and look for it.Well, scanned the map I made. Looks like poop now, will post it here anyway.Will the ";" work in the orientation, location, and saved files? My idea is to paste all possibilities for each file, then remove add the ";" as needed depending on the next location I want. It's still running stable, but did I harm my flight3 by pasting your poi text instead of replacing it as you instructed? I like the original Poi because to the right of the lines it has the name of the poi. My idea for this is to apply this same thing to your section of the poi with my own descriptions, for quick orientation purposes for starting up a glide flight.Darn, Daughter needs pick-up from school (exam day), later....Yes I do think this is a good way to solve the icon limit problem.How long can the Poi descripts be? Can a Poi that is really an airport have not just the name, but the other pertinent data, ie ATIS, Grnd, Tower Freqs, ILS etc. If that information could be added, then I think it should be a must. Now I noticed at the nav map, if I click on one of your Poi's, the name of it comes as "Number 0". Where can I add to this icon title to get it to be more descriptive of its geographical location? I'm thinking of adding a Poi at Mt Ranier, maybe put me a cozy cabin in there. Do I just add a line to your Poi and the new icon would appear? My location name will probably be Jimmy's Glider Nest, or something like that, maybe have a personal hang out in the Olympics as well. I'm familiar enough with Fled I think to add the cabins, but the Poi co-ords elude me. Will "zoar" give me those types of the x,y,z co-ords? How about the orientation numbers, where are they derived?Sometimes I'll hear a real nice instrumental lilt while soaring, it only comes on momentarily and lasts a few seconds. You know of the wav that I am referring? It would be nice to loop that so its playing in the background through-out the flight. I've searched the glider challender download and your places to start but cannot find it.Well, now for some pics. Made them kind of small. Got tons more, got carried away soaring in Flight Unlimited being so beautiful and all.Nothing, no flight sim is or will get better this.You all take care,Jim B.

Guest juvat2

Hi Glidernut,I downloaded the alternate sound pack. Their much nicer and pleasing to the ear than the authentic ones. Maybe your onto something there. Market for real gliders and make a zillion dollars. Then you can say these are authentic as well.I crashed again. All my fault, I felt, saw, heard myself loosing lift and thought if I could go just 10 more feet I'll make it over this ridge, and there will get some lift or maybe drop the nose just a fraction, gain some airspeed, to give more time to find the precious lift. No dice, I made it over the top alright, plane started to descend and loose airspeed w/ no lift, so I dropped the nose just a tad, and a couple of feet more or so, smack. Ooo, did I forever more get a butt chewing! Is that you with the admonitions? If not, won't you give a go? Be really neat for it to be a real glidernut saying the words. Was a shame I cracked up because I went over the top near Impass, down into the valley, swooped over Wolffes Canyon, searched and struggled for lift, made it all the way back around to the left near that space needle thingy and the ridge behind it is where I lost it. Was my longest best flight yet. Didn't have to turn the engine on at all once I initially switched it off. Knuckled headed me didn't think to record the flight either.I've got turbulence cranked all the way up. You think thats good or would that be concidered a form of cheating? Oh, still using Johns Good Lift. I've not successfuly landed yet for logging in flight time, but getting there.Gotta go, (still trying to successfully legally take-off with the dx/f challenge. Loosing money constantly. I'm no Howard Hughes thats for sure.) Not a glider pilot either, but I'll get it.Jim B.

Hi glidernut,Haven't been gliding in a while so I haven't had a chance to try out these nifty enhancements. Sounds like it's time to get back up there. Soon I hope.

Guest glidernut

Hi Jim B.>I'm kinda proud of my one big map.And so you should be, I carnt do it like that.How I took a snap-shot of the emty map.I tempareryly remooed the packages folder, along with the REGIONSSEATTLE Airports folder, and then used the "n" & "b" kys to hidethe other 2 items, and then magnified ech corner bifor taking a snap-shot, with the Ctrl-Alt-p kys.But seeing the trubl you have gon to, to make the 4 maps into 1,the next time I do a map Iill leev it as 1 and do biger red numbers.Sory about that.>would importing the map with resview be possible/ adviseable?Its probably possible, but not adviseable.Theres only 20 places on the list, but theres about 300 packagesout there, without icons, thats 300 littel red scribls on the samemap. With so meny markings on the map, no one would see the map.>Is there a way to script FU3 to display this map instead of > the default map?I dont know, good ider thow. Wich is the best wether file "MGC" or "Johns Good Lift" ?I have a confeshon to make hear, "MGC" is the only one of the tow wether files to have wave lift.I did the wave lift vidiow useing the one and only "MGC" wether file.But just bifor I uplowded the vidiow & "MGC" wether file to avsim,I renamed the "MGC" wether file to "Johns Good Lift", And then I thort renameing the file dus not change the name thatshows up in the wether screen,so I opend the wether file, and renamed it insied too, not realisingthat doing so, changed the wether sufishantly to kill all wave lift.After all this time, Iv only resently discuverd my blunder,So I apolojise to all how have tried and failed to fined wave liftas demonstrated in the vidiow.So If you want wave lift, as demonstrated in the vidiow, use MGC.Sory about that.>The vario sounds are annoying.Yes I thort thay might be, which is a pity considering all the trubland efet Lars Peter went too to get the real life sounds, and thenAnsgar doing a good job of there implementation,by good I meen thay sound just like the real thing.But thats no good if thay are annoying. Even the alternativ set of sounds are still a bit annoying,After uplowdeing the alternativ set, I have sins lowered ther volum by 50%, and thay seem OK now.Iv not been temted to tern them off.I use them in compensated mode all the time.Thats the defalt mode, which tels you of lift or doundraft.>Will the ";" work in the orientation, location, and saved files?NO. Pity that.>did I harm my flight3 by pasting your poi text instead of replacing > it as you instructed? NO.There is a limit as too how neny lines you can have in the REGIONSpoi txt. On my PC its 72.Any mor than 72, will crash FU3, so replacing the poi txt, insted ofadding to it, prevents poepl from going over 72.Bingo, Iv just had an idear. I dont know if thats a limit of 72 lines or icons ? thay are not quite the same thing.Yes you can put your own descriptions to thr right of eech number,in the poi txt, but on the same line only.Adding a Poi number is easy with this chalange. But ferst you "O hang on, I carnt see strate, Im off to bed, I see you on the morow.gliderrr r, gliderrr r, I know its glider-sumthing.

Guest glidernut

Hi Jim B.Iv just got out of bed, Iill finish ansering your questyons now.>Do I just add a line to your Poi and the new icon would appear?Yes. >My location name will probably be Jimmy's Glider Nest,Your chosen location name, must be on the same line as the locationnumber, and your chosen location name, is a bit long, you might notsee it all, you might have to moov it a little to the right or left.Adding a Poi number is easy with this chalange. But ferst you need to be abel to use the zor mode in the chalange.It makes life a lot easyer.To enabl the zor mode in the chalang, you need to blok off the rightline in the script, by puting this // infrunt of it, like this, On Each Frame //command c_unset challenge_cheatIf you carnt fined the right line to blok off, then e,maile me, and I send you or any one, a script with the lineallredy bloced off.The line in questyon was not put ther to make your life harder.Its just an over sight. remember, its still a work in progres.OK, now you can use the zor mode in the clalange, and you can easyly posishon your seif any where in seattel, like the dek of an aircraftcaryer, or maybe the place you have in mined at Mt Ranier.The numbers you see at the top left of the zor mode screen, are of NO use to you. Forget them, thay are not used.When you have posishoned your self presisly where you want to be,and your faseing the directshon you want, Then exit the chalange by useing the "Esc" and "y" keys.On the desk top, create a folder, and name it "Jim".Open the chlange folder, and right clik on the orientation txt, and choos "Create Shortcut".The Shortcut file you have just Create will have a littel blak arowon it, to show its a Shortcut file.Now drag & drop this Shortcut file on to, or into your "Jim" folder on your desk top.Now do the same thing with the position txt, and the saved.txt,So you now have 3 files in your "Jim" folder.orientation.txtposition.txtsaved.txtThe number you want for your poi.txt, is the first 2 numbers in theposition txt.If you put my "Plases to start from.txt" in your "Jim" folder as well, Then you have all you need to use my list of plases, or create yourown list of plases.You have every thing you need right there, on your desk top.You never need to go throo the tiyersum proceder of "Start" "Programs" "Windows Explorer" "Program Files" "Flight3" "REGIONS" "SEATTLE""chalanges" "evario". To use my list, simply choos a place on the list and swop the numbers with the corisponding Shortcut files.To make your own list of Places to start from, simply copy the numbers from the Shortcut files to your own list.>Sometimes I'll hear a real nice instrumental lilt while soaring, it >only comes on momentarily and lasts a few seconds. You know of the >wav that I am referring? I think that might be the sound of wind.Iv atached it to models useing Fled at sum of the take off places.Have you seen the littel man chasing the sheep at number 12 ?I should have named that place cach em sheep.Can you hear the birds after youv landed, thay are in the chalange.Take care Jim.glidernut.:-wave

Guest juvat2

Thanks Glidernut for the in-depth instructions. Now to see if I can carve me out a piece of glider realestate.Thats definitely music, I'll look thru FU3's sounds and try and find it.Again thanks for the how-too.Take care,Jim B.

Guest cornclose

Downloaded what ?I (formerly cadalec, which doesn't exist any more and hasn't done for a good while) have not dowinloaded anything for FU3??Enlighten me!!Chris Ehttp://website.lineone.net/~flightsimukAvoid AGP texturing = Better Performance ;)

The kind of vario sounds I'd like to hear are the type I used in various gliders including my father's PIK20-B. Nice effort on the audio vario but it does get anoying after about 30 minutes. Some kind of volume control on the instrument panel would be nice. So far I've only managed to take off once after gliding from Skykomish to Easton. All other times the chalenge drops me on the ground with the wheels up and the engine running causing a crash. The fact that zoar and magick up/down are disabled is a bit anoying and there should be a way to choose the weather before starting the chalenge. I like the way the package is set up although there should be a few more options for the non-feather bums in the world. Altogether nice work mate. It's my fave package/chalenge so far.

Guest Steffen

Hi Crayfish,you might want to check that the file saved.txt has the value of 1 when starting on the ground. That way, you should be saved by a hidden miracle up and not crash. The file saved.txt might still have the stored value of 2 on your machine (just guessing?) - that is only for flying positions...I disabled the challenge cheat on purpose (i.e. zoar and miracle up) in the challenge as I considered it to be un-honest soaring if you can miracle up/down. However, putting the line "challenge_cheat" in your flt3.cfg (without the quotes) will override that.If you open the script.txt of the challenge, there is somewhere a line saying "set weather to "MGC.wsd"" (or similar). If you put two // in front of that line (and comment it out that way), the challenge will allow you a weather-preselection: It will automatically use the last active/selected weather in the FU3 "Airport" or "Quick Flight" menu.Unfortunately, changing the sound playback volume with the challenge scripting language isn't possible - so I guess you'll have to adapt your e-vario-soundfiles to volume settings that suit you...Blue Skies, Steffen

Yes, I'm on the list now -- thanks for the nudge :-)As others have claimed gliding is really special. It doesn't quite help to be well trained in flying GA aircraft (or jets for that matter). I haven't used the Stemme a lot since I can't handle it properly. Well, I guess that makes it a challenge :-) I took off with the vario sound installed and cut the engines at 4000 ft. The aircraft went yawing around and the vario made different sounds as I pitched up and down. I couldn't quite make out what the sounds mean, except that low tones are descent and high tones ascent. When I was staying at a specific flight level I still got different tones. I'll have to play around with this a bit.Since gliding may be THE thing that makes FU3 far better than the latest effort by MS I'd like to build some glider experience. As mentioned, I don't quite handle the "yawing around" and have been known to crash even before take-off on previous attemps. A taildragger with an extreme wing span is no easy task for a Cessna pilot. However, this time I took off as well as landed the Stemme and I may be getting the hang of it.best regards,Hans Petter

Guest glidernut

Hi Hans Petter,To avoid yawing around before take-off, pul the stik back as fareas posibl until the frunt weels are off the ground ferst.When your off the ground, let it yaw where it wants.On landing, be shooer to land into wind with spoilers out.Thanks Hans, for takeing your life in you hands, to giv this a go.glidernut.:-wave