Sign in to follow this  
Christopher Low

Flyable planes

Guest juvat2

Hi Glidernut,Here's a link to mdl2dxf version2.1:http://home.swipnet.se/~w-50954/hv/mdl/mdl2dxf.htmHere's alink to Discreet for Gmax: (there's also a patch out for this)http://www.discreet.com/products/gmax/gmax_index.htmlTo avoid stepping on copy-write toes, probably wouldn't be good to convert someone elses 3d models unless they gave consent. We'd have to be careful about that. My suggestion for the mdl2dxf tool was mainly to use Gmax as the modeling tool, export as mdl, then with the tool convert to dxf.There's another catch I just remembered, unless things are different now, the gmax mdl export(Gmax calls them gamepacks) was only available to folks who owned FS2002 and comes on the '02 cd with gmax. There was a time when the mdl exporter wasn't available via download, was only on the FS'02 cd. There are gamepacks available for free download, but not for the mdl exporting.Interestingly, Discreet is accepting submitions for game packs requests; though FU3 isn't on their drop down list, they offer a "other" block to manually type in the requested game title. It's probably an extreme long shot because LGS is closed down, but I submitted FU3 anyway. Hopefully it's not going to open me up to tons of spam. I submitted JAS, Fly and Xplane as well.Hmm.. I see they have a .obj and .asc importer free for download now.I've tried several times to do their plane modeling tutorial, but fail miserabely at comprehending it every time. The tutorial takes you through a step by step process of creating a P38.Jim B.

Jim,From what I have seen, it seems that Ansgar has obtained permission for one or two models for his high detail AI planes project. If this is the case, then this kind of thing is entirely possible. Also, as far as the game packs are concerned, I would assume that these are only required for FS2002. Let me know if I'm wrong !Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest juvat2

Hi Chris,Here's what my Gmax 1.1 offers in its Files tab.Open: .gmaxSave: .gmaxImport: .3ds, .prj, .dxf, .shpExport: .bgl, .mdlFrom the Maxscript Utility: only thing extra from above is import: .obj.It seems the only way to save or export is with the .gmax(Save) and .bgl, .mdl(reason for my suggestion about the mdl2dxf tool), or .obj.Thats how my Gmax is currently. How about yours? Wouldn't surprise me if I've missed an import or export tool thats available for it on the web-scatter-brained as I am.I've intentionally not downloaded or installed non-flt sim related stuff for Gmax. Well, no, I did get Tempest(for Unreal?), but have no interest in it.I hope I haven't evolved from massive to quantum leaping on this.Take Care,Jim B.PS: You ever tried to find Hennie's name in the user rating list? I went there to rate him and couldn't find anything. Not under H, V or R. Is he under another name there?Now I'm really confused, Glidernut/John Lewis isn't there either. I must be going nuts or something.Thanks, JB

Ansgar,Damn, that looks like my aircraft design dreams are shattered.Oh.......er........WELCOME BACK !Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Cinema 4D:3/4 months ago(may 2002) on the UK pc plus magazine(www.pcplus.co.uk) cover cd's there was a version of this(Cinema 4D SE 5).. pc plus can be bought for

Guest Ansgar

Hi Chris,not that hard Chris....you can train and use all important things with anim8or and also can create planes with it. Try it and you will see how it works.GMAX you can use as a perfect tool (like 3dmax) to train everyhing for professional 3D-design, because a lot of things of 3dmax are the same in GMAX. I assume also that was the main intension of Discreet!!! If a lot of people in their freetime can handle Gmax (i.e. for FS2002) they later (in their real job-live) agree easier to buy the expensive 3d studio max, because they have all the needed training to handle it and understand every(or the most used) function of it ==> promotion effect is maximized!Sorry, but it also may be possible they (or third parties) make an 3ds-export plugin function, but I didn