Sign in to follow this  

Need Help With Cockpit Designer

Gentlemen:Please help an old friend figure out how to use cockpit designer to edit that horizontal line caused by the Geforce cards. I've recently replaced my Voodoo 5 card with the Geforce3 TI 500 and the results are phenomenal. I'm using the geforce tweaker and a new motherboard and faster chip (Asus A7V333 and Athlon XP 2100). FU is so smooth and beautifull that I wanted to share my enthusiasm. But there's an annoying line (bleed through) on my cockpits.I read a post, but could not figure out what to do with the Cockpit designer. If anyone has successfully edited the Bravo, Cessna etc. please help me do the same or upload the files for me. I love FU2 & 3. I would really appreciate any help.By the way, the only reason I upgraded to the geforce card was because I could not get FS2002 to work well with my voodoo 5. Now FS2002 works great but I have problems with FU. Fs2002 is important because I want to remain IFR proficient, on the other hand FU helps me improve my VFR sklls and most importantly, my LANDINGS.Thanks for your help.Jose OteroEnjoy the freedom of flight!

I'm using the Voodoo 5 card with FS2002 and I see no major problems. There are issues with some reflections (alpha channel of bitmaps) but most of those have been tweaked / fixed to work with the Voodoo 5.Anyway, you say that you want to use ResViewer to get rid of the line. This is a video card incompatibility problem and I doubt that ResViewer can fix it. What you see through the panel is the lower edge of the scenery / 3D region. It's not supposed to bleed through the panel bitmap but somehow it does with GForce cards. I think the best avenue to explore is to look at the card's driver. Why doesn't it render the panel bitmap totally on top of the 3D (scenery) window? But then, if ResViewer could add some kind of "always on top" tag to the panel bitmap that GForce drivers would understand... Thinking as I type, since FS2002 issues can be tweaked to work with Voodoo 5 (reversing the alpha channel) maybe FU3 panels can be be adapted to GForce as well? Several forum members have looked into this.In any event, that annoying line is the lower edge of the "scenery curtain" showing.best regards,Hans Petter

Guest Stearman

>I've recently replaced my Voodoo 5 card with the >Geforce3 TI 500 and the results are phenomenal. I'm using >the geforce tweaker and a new motherboard and faster chip >(Asus A7V333 and Athlon XP 2100). FU is so smooth and >beautifull that I wanted to share my enthusiasm.Excuse me for being this plain, but as far as FU3 is concerned, replacing a Voodoo5 with something else is a bad move (to me anyway).Having seen many other configurations, the Voodoo5 looks like if it had been specially optimized for FU3. I've never seen a better anti-aliasing effect in any sim/game, with any other card.The effect is also great in FS2002 and, since you can easily tweak this one to work with the V5 (in fact it only takes inverting the alpha channels in the reflective aircraft textures), I can't see a single reason why a GeForce card should be considered better: if it simply boils down to a frame rate issue, with the V5 I've got all the speed I need or might want. In fact, I think the human eye can't notice differences in frame rate beyond 25 or 30 fps.In any event, I sincerely hope you can fix the bleeding-through line problem.Best regards.

o.k.It's apparent to me that you have NOT seen the effects of the Geforce card in FS2002. The way you feel about FU3 and the voodoo 5, is the way I feel about the Geforce 3 TI 500 and FS2002. It looks awsome! The Geforce 3 TI 500 makes FU3 looks great (just as good as the voodoo 5.) TRUST ME ON THIS ONE! The only problem with the Geforce 3 and FU is the cockpits have a line bleeding through them. They need to be edited using Cockpit Designer. Someone in the forum spoke about this problem and was able to fix the bleed through. I just need a little help.I think it's easier for me to solve the Fu3 problem with the Geforce than it is for me to try to tackle all the problems that I've had for so long with Fs2002 and my Voodoo 5 (i.e. shaking clouds, blurry texture (real blurry) no reflections, no water detail, and poor performance.After hours of trial and error, I've decided to try to edit the cockpits. If I can not, I will by a voodoo 5 PCI and add it as a second card.Thanks again for your input.

Guest Ansgar

Good morning DJJose,I didn

Guest Stearman

>It's apparent to me that you have NOT seen the effects of >the Geforce card in FS2002.I admit you're right in that assumption: I haven't.However, I have never heard yet a single convincing reason for the change, since I have tackled (quite easily) all the "problems" the V5 gave me initially in FS2002. Namely:>shaking clouds, blurry texture (real blurry)?? Not in my machine, my friend.>no reflections,Simply invert the alpha channels (the required tool is in FS2002 CDs)>no water detailSimply activate it in Display.cfg>and poor performance. No way, the V5 performance is fantastic. After re-reading your original post, however, I see you've also changed your mobo and CPU. Looks to me the improvement in performance is due to reasons other than the graphics card :)Well, to each one his own. Maybe someday I'll change my V5 for a GeForce4... who knows, perhaps this one will actually outperform the V5. In the meanwhile, I'm happy to know you'll eventually fix that cockpit line problem.Best regards,

Guest juvat2

Wow Stearman,I've also got '02 and am using a V5 pci. The display, while always sharp, was always un-gratifying with '02. Didn't know about that tool on the cd. I had searched the ms general forum for these kind of topics but didn't see that one, I did find some tips though, most not v5 specific. There anymore things you've found to get the best out of a v5 + '02 combo? Here's my pc specs: w98se,v5 pci, amd 750 tbird, 383 pc133, aopen ak73 pro(a) mobo, dx8(a). nothings overclocked.Thanks, Jim B.

Thanks Ansgar A.I appreciate your help. I'll try your suggestions.Jose

Gracias, Thank you! Ansgar AProblem solved,Jose

Ditto that Stearman, I'd appreciate your FS2002 display.cfg entries for the Voodoo 5 card. I fixed the aircraft by reversing the alpha channel but there are issues with shaking clouds (sometimes) and (occasionally) flickering water. If these minor issues can be fixed I'd like to know how. Djjose may very well have a point in stating that FS2002 looks better with the GForce video card. MS hasn't really cared to configure anything for an obsolete card as our favorite Voodoo 5 but if it can be configured better for FS002 I'm all ears!As FU3 goes we know that it shines though :-)best regards,Hans Petter

Guest Allan_D

Hi Gang,At the risk of being shot down, I'll stick up for my V5. Will not replace it until it needs the dirt napI've only added a few entries for FS, But things look good (for me) I'll gladly send anyone my cfg. for V5 FS2K2 cldawson@dmci.netA few Pics from FS2K2http://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3d17dc972313490b.jpgI think I have it as good as I can get with my old computerhttp://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3d17ddaf25461570.jpgThe reflects on the water were the easiest part Tom Wunder had that figured out a long time agohttp://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3d17deee2761dcd7.jpgAs far as scenery goes, Except for the ones I designed for FU3 I've never seen better in a flight game then the ones that are available for FS2K2, We don't have to add the trees 1000 at a time, there already there, and the scenery looks like the real worldhttp://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3d17e1a12c7f331b.jpgFlight? I've had a hold of the controls of different Airplanes many times,The Planes in FU3 that feel like the real thingTom Wunders "Skyhawk" and DLM's Daniel's King AirFS2K2 has so many Planes that are so realistic it's unrealNot even a contest here, End of story Have Fun :-jumpyhttp://avsim.com/hangar/air/bfu/logo70.gifAllan

Hi Allan,Are you using the default water textures? What did you do to make the water look like that?Regards,Hennie

Guest Stearman

Hi Hans & Juvat, sorry for the delay.These are some brief instructions I summed up a while ago (based on the discoveries made by Tom Wunder & others), in order to quickly fix the so-called "problems" of the V5 with FS2002:-*-*-*- (Start) -*-*-*-"How to get water & aircraft reflections on V5" First go into your display.cfg and change your voodoo 5 entry to this:;------------------------------------------------------; 3dFX Voodoo 5;------------------------------------------------------<0000121a:00000009>DXTn=0MultiTexture=1TexGen=1This enables water reflections, but causes new FS2002 planes (not those coming from FS2000) to look all-chrome.Here's how to fix it and enable proper aircraft reflections:Look into ..FS2002gmaxFlightsimgamepacksFlightsim for the Imagetool.exe program (it should be the only thing in that folder).Use Imagetool.exe to look for the texture folder of every involved aircraft, and open ONLY the texture ending with a "t". Then select Image -> Alpha Channel -> Invert. Finally save the file and on to the next one. This must be done in every texture folder (aircraft with more than one paint job will have more texture folders accordingly).-*-*-*- (End) -*-*-*-And yes, after that, my sights of FS2002 are of exactly the same quality of Allan's (nice shots, by the way).Now I'm ready to see convincingly better FS2002 shots made with any GeForce card.Blue skies,