Sign in to follow this  

OK, The FU3 Newbie managed to get FU2 & 3.... all is we

I'd like to thank all the guys who pointed me in the right direction:Jon, Tom, Chris, Staggerwing, Jim, Ray, Naji, and Stearman. I used all the suggestions given and the installation including San Fran went off without a hitch. I'm getting very good frame reates. Sim seems smooth. I must say I really like this sim. It is pretty intuitive and easy to operate. Overall, I'm impressed with what this sim offered to the flight sim community several years before FS2K2.I do have a question or two:1- ATC keeps telling me to "maintain 5000 ft so I go to 5000 ft... before I can get there ATC says watch your altitude maintain 1000 ft... so i go to 1000 ft... up and down up and down whazzup with that?2- I see in the readme there seems to be a way to customize the MS Sidewinder Pro joystick to have the buttons do what you want. Is there a downloadable file already done for this?3- In the options/graphics/hardware acceleration, I only have 2 options listed... off and Primary Driver. Is this correct or do I have a problem? I have InVidia GeForce256 w/64M VRAM and 27.42 drivers. I did run the patch, no errors.I'm sure I'll have more questions as I go. Thanks again for all the help!Earl.... "and the greatest of these is Love." I Cor. 13:13

Guest CaptRolo

Earl ; you have to climb at a rate of 700 fpm or better to keep atc from bugging you. and yes you want primary driver .Sidewinder has a profile but can't say where to get it ,check library .Glad you like Fu3 . Welcome aboardCaptRolo

Guest juvat2

Hi Fellas,Earl, when I get an alt command from atc, I select autopilot,and if the aircraft I'm in has the button for it, altitude when I reach the commanded altitude. I've noticed that if you request vectors ILS, this has ATC giving altitude and heading changes(atc sometimes will give you the reason for the heading and alt changes. Usually due to other traffic to prevent us from getting to close) more often than if you've requested vectors direct.As for the MS SW 3d Pro(the original model), I've got the same stick and intentionally avoid assigning functions to the buttons. The defaults work fine for me. Just my own weird preference. I'm the same way with my combat sims, though JAS gets irratating lots of times because theres no rear view function by default with the hat.The only button I use alot on the stick is the hat switch for changing the views. The others I haven't fooled with.If you ever find the FU3 profile for our sticks, let me know. I'll keep it on my hard drive in case I get brave enough to fool with it.Right now I'm using the win95 driver for it.Well, enough of my rambling,You all take care,Jim B.

Thanks Capt Rolo and Jim.See ya around the forums.Earl.... "and the greatest of these is Love." I Cor. 13:13

Guest glidernut

Hi EarlI use "Microsoft Side Winder Force Feedback Pro" as well.The basik Profile I use for FU3+2 is,"Monster Truck Madness 2.swf" Theres 2 reesons why Iv not sent you my Profile.(1) I dont know how. And (2) you wouldent want it any way.For a start, Iv got all the vibrashons terned off, and the self sentering of the stik terned off as well, so the stik is all flopy and stase where ever I leev it, In this way I can croos at any speed I like, and I never have to alter the trim of the plane to fly like this.Also in the "Monster Truck Madness 2.swf" Profile, by puling the triger,the stik itself controls the F4 and outsied vews as well as thezoom.You can see the efect of this if you wach sum of my Black Box vidiows,avalabl hear at avsim, Do a serch under the orthers name "John Lewis" thats me.Unfortunatly Iv not figered out how to controwl the views and theplane at the same times.Im thinking about bying the latest stik from Thrustmaster inc.www.thrustmaster.co.ukInsted of an 8 way hat swich, its got a microstick which is programmable, and ideal for panning the view internally or externally.But with a price tag of

Hi John,Thanks for your reply and your welcome. I will try your black box videos soon. I'm sure they're great. I noticed your glider challenge (name may not be correct). I haven't tried the gliders in any of the sims much. I probably will. When i do I'll ask you to help me.Thanks again!Earl.... "and the greatest of these is Love." I Cor. 13:13

Hi Earl and please add my welcome to the list!As joystick buttons are concerned you'll need a "joykeys.cfg" in the root folder of your FU3. If you haven't got one you may make one in Notepad.Mine currently contains the lines:joy_1 toggle_parking_brakesjoy_2 reverse_thrustjoy_3 flaps_upjoy_4 flaps_down ; reassign keys for miracle up and down to allow other use of page up and page down keys- miracle_down= miracle_up; use page up and page dn keys next to key pad for flaps up and down, easier to findpageup flaps_uppagedown flaps_down; uses del key next to keypad to landing gear -- also easier to find than G keydel toggle_landing_gear; use one key to ©ycle radio frequencies rather than Alt-Fc Auto_Tune_RadioOK, there's a lot of custom key commands here but the ones pertaining to my CH joystick are:joy_1 toggle_parking_brakesjoy_2 reverse_thrustjoy_3 flaps_upjoy_4 flaps_down You might try it and check which buttons are doing what. To swap them you may swap the numbers (joy_x). Before I bought rudder pedals I had these lines:; assigns arrow keys to rudder controls for easier location - up and down both center rudderleft left_rudderright right_rudderup center_rudderdown center_rudderThey make the arrow keys control the rudder. You need some kind of rudder control to taxi properly in FU3 since, unlike the MS flightsims, banking on the ground won't get you anywhere (as in real life). Real aircraft are being steered on the ground by the rudder pedals, including differential braking (pedal toe brakes).Please tell us which commands you'd like to assign to your joystick buttons and we might be able to help you. (Flaps, trim, brakes etc)best regards,Hans Petter

Hi Hans,Hey, my friend, I think you just gave me most of what I want for the joystick. What happens to the functions which WERE assigned to the joystick buttons I want to re assign?Here are my prefered assignments:B1=BrakesB2=Toggle viewsB3=Nose Down TrimB4=Nose up TrimB5=Flaps increment down one notchB6=Flaps increment up one notchB7=Rev ThrustB8=Toggle Gear up and DownPOV and X, Y Z axis all ok.Thanks for the help and for the welcome, Hans! I love FU3 so far! I just discovered the Renegade! NONE of the sims have anything better than this panel for realism in 3D. The exterior isn't bad either. When I landed on the water for the first time... I couldn't beleive the water effect on the windshield! I can see why you guys wanted to keep this sim going! Thanks to all of you for that.Earl.... "and the greatest of these is Love." I Cor. 13:13

Hi Earl;As for the ATC clearance to "maintain 1000ft" I decided to interpret it as meaning "prepare for descend" or "start your descend" since as soon as one starts descending ATC will clear you back to an asigned altitude.Perhaps this could be corrected editing the voice files somehow.Regards

Guest Motormouse

You can make multiple bindings to add additional functions to the limited number of buttons available,its in the readme file for the patch (I think) by using this symbol '||' (2 vertical lines) between commands the first push of the button will do first command,second push next command and so-on.You can also get one button to do TWO commands at once by separating the commands with the symbol '&&', useful for toggling speedbrakes and reverse thrust together!!Welcome to the FUIII club!!Hope this helps,:-wavePete