Sign in to follow this  
adams

voodoo 5500

I bought this card and I'd like to ask about settings/ drivers to get best results.I haven't noticed significant improvement in fpm and my conclusion is that graphic card has not much work to do in FU 3.I can play FU I & FU III, but FU II doesn't run after I click 'fly'. Any suggestions ?B. Adamski

Guest Stearman

>I haven't noticed significant improvement in fpm and my >conclusion is that graphic card has not much work to do in >FU 3.That's almost a "sacrilege" :)In fact, there's no better card for FU3 than the Voodoo5, but its merits aren't as much in the frame rate as in the anti-aliasing.With its hardware-based FSAA, at 4X it turns FU3 into a completely new simulation. You may believe me or not, but if you bother trying it for a while, you'll soon realize there's no way back.And that EVEN at the cost of some fps (not much problem here, anyway, on my Athlon XP 1500+ machine).Blue skies,

Guest twsimfan

Bogdan,Daniel is right on target. If anything the V5 will slow down your fps some... but the FSAA do great things for FU. It was after I added the V5 that I felt the need to upgrade from a P3-500 to a P3-933... and it was worth it!

Guest jonpoint

Bogdan,What is your PC spec? I had a similar experience when I got my GeForce card. With minimal settings (as my previous card) it was much the same. If anything the framerate decreased! This was with ~450MHz/256M RAM etc. Recently I got a new MB/processor (Athlon XP1700+) and, well... there's no substitute for sheer power :-) .I've tuned and I've tweaked and I've got all sliders on 100% and my framerates have still improved by 100-500%. It only slows to 15fps when flying between buildings in the city during a thunderstorm. Apart from AI traffic, reducing any sliders at all gives no improvement in speed. No kidding. From what I hear, a Voodoo5 would similarly 'kick butt'. I'm sure some Voodoo users will point you in the right direction - I actually wish I had bought one!Jon Point*************************(effyouthree@hotmail.com)*************************

Yes, FSAA 4x 'gives' better resolution. But I can't see the building lights in the FSO airport.My previous card was ATI Rage 128. There is big difference in FS02 : haze & clouds, ground, forests. But I can't see the reflections in the water, while it can be seen on the aircraft very good.B.Adamski

I'm going to buy new processor & mobo soon. Than I'll see what'll change in fpm. Someone in Poland told me that I have to slow processor ( Celeron 400 ), but I have enough memory ( 230 MB ), I think.B. Adamski

A Celeron 400 is rather slow these days. I originally ran FU3 on a Pentium II 400, but I would have had no chance getting playable framerates on that with all of the upgrades that I have since made. Some areas struggle to get 10 fps with my 1.2Ghz Athlon Thunderbird !Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest Stearman

>Yes, FSAA 4x 'gives' better resolution. But I can't see the >building lights in the FSO airport. >My previous card was ATI Rage 128. There is big difference >in FS02 : haze & clouds, ground, forests. But I can't see >the reflections in the water, while it can be seen on the >aircraft very good.Is it FU3 or FS2002 that we're talking about?My previous message was intended about FU3 only.Refer to the thread "Need Help With Cockpit Designer" if you want to know how to adapt FS2002 to work right with your V5.If even so, you're still unsure about keeping your V5, please let me know. I might well consider buying it from you as a backup resource, since they're not easily found anymore.Blue skies,

Yes Bogdan, you've now got a video card capable of proper anti-aliasing (edge smoothening) in FU3 as well as FS2002. But, the nicer graphics / better rendering come at a cost and a Pentium 400 is not up to it. I've got a 800 Mhz processor and find it sufficient, yet I wouldn't mind more power. The display.cfg of FS2002 needs to be tweaked a bit to render FS2002 properly. Allan_D kindly sent me his file. For FU3 all you need is to enable the 4x anti-aliasing. Until you upgrade to a faster processor you may opt for 2x FSAA to be able to get decent frame rates.best regards,Hans Petter

I'm going to buy Celeron 1200. It's low cost and quick enough, I hope.Send me the file for FS, if you can. BTW, can you see the sun reflections on the water ?B.Adamski

With the right lines I get water reflections in FS2002 but not in the Flight Unlimited sims. Here's what you do:Open the display.cfg in the root folder of FS2002Find the lines pertaining to Voodoo 5 and overwrite them with the following,;----------------------------------------------------------------------; 3dFX Voodoo 5;----------------------------------------------------------------------[0000121a:00000009]DXTn=1MultiTexture=1TexGen=1(Thanks to Allan_D)As Flight Unlimited goes you'll get rid of the jaggies (smoother rendering) and you'll get realistic-looking haze. I remember that my haze was "solid" and blocky before I got this card -- I couldn't fly in bad weather since any haze would overlay the scenery completely. Now I've got limited visibilty when the fog rolls in but the landscape is being partially obscured rather than being blocked out and I can see runways and lights as I approach them. It's all about blending the weather elements with the 3D region rather than putting the weather on top of it. FU weather is still superior to FS2002 weather but the latest Microsoft sim has got some really nice glare and reflection effects.Hans Petter

I don't know what happend, but now I can see the lights in buildings at SFO ( FU3 ).I'm going to improve my computer & it'll be better, I hope.I don't want to sell V5. I bought it rather at good price (90 $), while new costed 250$.B.Adamski

Thank you, Hans. I'll test it as I only back home.In FU3 I've never had problems with haze (ATI & Voodoo now). In FS I couldn't see any haze with ATI, so V5 gave me new face of FS. But in FU 3 the haze is only up to 20 000 ft (so it's ok.), while in FS the haze is the same even at 30 000 ft - it's nonsense. Of course it's not the graphic card problem.B.Adamski