Sign in to follow this  
Guest Quaxo

What I've been working on...

Guest Quaxo

Here are some screenshots of what I'm doing. I have completed 15 megatiles. I have modified tilindex.bin to use the blank megatile.I have generated also the lower levels, so you can see the megatiles even in the distance (see screenshots).The slow-loading doesn't happen if you're not very near to the edge, so now that there is a large region to fly in, the problem only happen rarely (when you're at the border).In the tiles I've done, there are 9 airports, (but one is abandoned), including Bembridge, Lee-on-the-Solent, Goodwood, Southampton, Stansted and others.I have also completed the whole Isle of Wight.Now I'm working on adding the elevation.Do you like the screenshots? :)Cristian

Guest Motormouse

WOW!!!That's the area I'm from originally, Cowes, Isle of Wight.I hope you've included the seaplane ramp just off the end of the runway at Lee-on-Solent, and Calshot seaplane base,still used occasionally by seaplanes :-) even though its been taken over byyachties!!Oh and don't forget the grass strip at the Royal Navy facility at Fleetlands.....and the former Folland Aircraft strip at Hamble....:-wavePete

Guest Quaxo

Hi Pete,I don't have detailed information on the airfields of that area. All I do is, after creating a new megatile, to look at it carefully, and if I see an airfield, I go into FLED and put there a parking spot and a runway (so I get an icon on the map). I didn't put there any visual objects, I'm not good at that!Anyway, the first screenshot should be the Lee-on-the-Solent airfield. There's even the Hovercraft museum next to it :) !!!Cristian

Guest Ansgar

Hi Christian,YEEEEES I like it!!! That are a really great work and I give you a big THANK YOU in advance!I also added two megatiles and send them to agtim and so know exactly how much work it is. With the new tools it

Everyone who uses FS2002 may be interested to know that Visual Flight are developing photographic scenery textures for the entire UK, based on images taken for the Millennium Mapping Project (www.getmapping.com).Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest Motormouse

Yep. I recognised Lee-on-Solent, the slipway is under the tail of the Cessna in your screenshot!! (At the end of r/w 05)Hamble is a grass strip at 50.52.00N 01.19.15W,4 miles SE of Southampton , the railway line passes close to the northern boundary.r/w 02/20 720 m x 12 m Fleetlands is a RN Helicopter overhaul facility, on a former WW2 base,its at the north end of Portsmouth Harbour where the inlet gets inland as far as Fareham,...in fact, you could be overhead there in your third screenshot!:-wavePetePs Which one is the 'abandoned' airport? Thorney Island? 'cos its still used occasionally as a training field by the military,as a sort of 'Outer Landing Facility' .

Guest Quaxo

Hello Pete,I'll check your coordinates tomorrow morning.For the "abandoned" airport, it is, er, "really" abandoned. It is some miles East of Chichester. There are two crossing runways, but right over one - and very near to the other - they built some sort of buildings. Less than half of the original runway is left, but it's enough to land a small plane.Bye,Cristian

Guest Motormouse

Ahhhh, that sounds like Tangmere, the WW2 Spitfire base,yes it is 'abandoned' now, but sometimes used for gliding,parachuting,microlights and radio controlled model flying.:-wavePete

Guest Quaxo

Pete, you seem an expert here... There's a nice airfield I don't know what is... It is slightly NE of Lymington, it has three grass runways crossing, more or less shaped as an "A"... It's quite big but with grass runways... What is it? Is it still operative?CristianPS - Update: I have done the first successful experiments on adding elevation. Now I have hills in the Isle of Wight, but there's a problem with the elevation map's zoom factor... I get hills in the middle of the runways :-( !!!

Guest qvdg

Excellent. I am glad to see there are others working on megatiles. I for one am continuing on London and am hoping to fining ARAP ARAO and APAO which covers Biggin Hill. Keep the great work !Qvdg

Guest Motormouse

That one is definitely long abandoned!!Its the remains of the WW2 USAAF forward landing ground at Boldre.Because the runway was laid with pre-formed steel planking (PSP), at the end of the war it was just left for the grass to grow through it,so it stands out in aerial photos after all these years. Around the site today there are still a few Nissen huts that have been 'converted' for rural use by the local farmers,it is used mostly for animal grazing these days,and has returned to the heathland state the site was in before the runways were laid.In recent years I can recall 2 occasions when light aircraft made 'forced landings' there because it stands out so well from the air!! It caught me out too,on my first flight,back seat of a Chipmunk,I thought I was over Bournemouth (Hurn) Airport :-lol ,well, I was only 12 at the time !!There was another landing ground of similar construction in the New Forest at Stoney Cross, near Ringwood, new road building in the area effectively cuts the runway there in two.Historical note: Both these landing grounds were intended to be used by bombers returning after raids on europe,but their convenient location meant almost anything was likely to drop in.:-wavePete

Guest twsimfan

Cristian,I am curious. I haven't installed any of the new scenery (UK or Switzerland). Mostly because I have been confused by the instructions. I have seen some remarks that lead me to believe that if someone has the outer terrain area installed it wont work... is this the case? I do have the outer terrain installed... even though I rarely use it. Do the coordinates show up realistically?

Guest Quaxo

Hello Tom,Too bad you haven't tried this scenery. Its visual quality is equal (if not better) to that of San Francisco :) !!!It wasn't even difficult to install, even though (to achieve max detail) I had to change a parameter in the region.cfg file.I have the outer regions installed, and I have had no problem till now... except that once, I fas flying E of Bergseth, and the sim kept saying "Press Y to load London scenery". But to be honest, if I should have problems with UK and outer regions, I might very well uninstall the outer regions... I don't fly there, and for big generic scenery there is FS2002. I like too much having a new, big hires region to fly in :) !!I don't know if the coordinates are right, I haven't checked.I have quite completed a new tile, alak, so the total now is 16. But I am quickly approaching the point where I will be forced to stop :-(.I made a "little" mistake with elevations (see screenshots)... but mistakes are allowed, aren't they ;-) ?!?Bye,Cristian

Guest juvat2

Whoa,Could do some excellent gliding from there. Glidernut would have an excellent time with it I think!Jim B.

Guest twsimfan

Cristian,"... but mistakes are allowed, aren't they ;-) ?!?"OK by me... but I have to feel sorry for the poor farmers that have to plow those fields!I get back to you about the rest via "other" channels.