Sign in to follow this  
Christopher Low

Anisotropic filtering

Guest PaulL01

Is FU a D3D, OGL or glide game please?

Paul,I assume that it's a Direct3D game.Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Yes, FU3 is indeed a Direct3D game.Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest PaulL01

>Paul, >>The procedure isn't working properly. It is telling me that >the patch hasn't been executed properly. What's wrong ? >>Chris Low, >ENGLAND. It should work just fine, make sure you activate the version for your OS, and you did put the nv32dd.dll in a seperate directory first?As far as Aniso goes it should all function just fine and with your GF3 all levels from 2(trilevel to 8(64tap) should be available, you are adjusting the Direct3D settings right?

Paul,I used the Win9x version, since I have Windows ME.I put the nv32dd.dll file in a temporary directory.I have been adjusting the Direct3D settings for anisotropic filtering.Thanks for the advice. As far as the LODbiasfix patch script is concerned, it probably doesn't matter that this doesn't work. However, I don't see any reason why anisotropic filtering shouldn't work. When I am flying, the textures become sharp virtually instantly when I move into range, which is something that looks remarkably like bog standard bilinear filtering to me. Surely the textures in the distance should look sharper and less blurred when using anisotropic filtering forced to level 8 ?Best Wishes,Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest PaulL01

Chris,>>I used the Win9x version, since I have Windows ME. >I put the nv32dd.dll file in a temporary directory. >I have been adjusting the Direct3D settings for anisotropic >filtering. Go back and check your temp directory, you may have recieved the error becuse of the newer driver not being recognized by RVtuner however it may/should have gone ahead and patched it, check and see if it now has a new date and that there is an *.dll.old copy now there, if so rebot into safe mode and copy the updated file over to your system and you will be all set. :)>Thanks for the advice. As far as the LODbiasfix patch script >is concerned, it probably doesn't matter that this doesn't >work. However, I don't see any reason why anisotropic >filtering shouldn't work. When I am flying, the textures >become sharp virtually instantly when I move into range, >which is something that looks remarkably like bog standard >bilinear filtering to me. Surely the textures in the >distance should look sharper and less blurred when using >anisotropic filtering forced to level 8 ? Right, it should be working, one thing you can do is make sure you have set the display at "best image quality" in your normal GF3 driver D3D menu, that will at least insure that your running at a LOD of >0:)Later,>Best Wishes, >>Chris Low, >ENGLAND.

Paul,I have already done everything that you have suggested above. Anisotropic filtering isn't working with FU3, and it's as simple as that. One point that I can make here is that it IS working with Jedi Knight 2. I noticed that the floor textures are now sharp and clear into the distance, and the framerates are super smooth.If anyone is using anisotropic filtering with FU3..........how have you done it ?Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Is anyone using anisotropic filtering with FU3 ? If so, are you SURE that it is working ? A brief discussion of exactly how the textures have been improved would be wonderful.Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I have aniso working on my GF3 Ti500.I do not use the 4XS mode, because it's a Supersampling FSAA mode, which also affects the textures. It causes banding of the sky in FU3, and the textures look a bit fuzzy. The advantage is that the smoothing of edges is superior to the other modes. I use the normal 4x mode instead. I prefer the smoother sky color over slightly nicer edges, but it's a matter of personal opinion.It is true that the 4XS mode is an undocumented feature of GF3 cards, and actually a feature of the GF4 series. It's ugly marketing tactic by Nvidia, I guess.Now to the Aniso.There are three differences that I have found when using Aniso:1. Texture flickering/moving textures is gone2. Sharper textures3. Lower FPS1.The biggest difference after setting Aniso to the highest setting in RivaTuner is that the textures will not "flicker" or move at all when flying. If you look for it, you may notice one or two pixels flickering here and there, but the difference should be like night and day compared to running it with no Aniso. I'm sure you know what I mean with the moving textures, because that has been a big problem for me since the day I installed FU2 even. But not anymore :)2.The textures also appear slightly sharper, but in FU3 in, the difference is very small. FU3 may look good, but it based on FU2, which is fairly old technology. Even with anisotropic, there is still some blurring because of limitations in the FU3 graphics engine. In FS2002, Anisotropic makes a much bigger difference to the sharpness of the textures. The LOD setting does not seem to have an effect in FU3 for me, but it works in other games. However, if you adjust the LOD setting to far to the negative side, you will get back the moving textures again. Therefore, I recommend you keep it at no less than -0.5 for any game.3. There WILL be a drop in the framerate. Over complex areas like downtown Seattle, the CPU does the most work, not the graphics card, so in those areas, the FPS drop will only be a few FPS. However, over simple areas, with little 3d objects and only flat ground, the drop will be bigger. In some areas, the FPS counter is at a constant 50 FPS on my computer. Turning on Aniso brings it down to about 20-25 FPS! Over Seattle, the drop is much smaller, maybe from 20-22 FPS with no Aniso, down to 16-18 FPS with full.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Jimmi,How on Earth do you get such high framerates ? I am getting 14-17 fps on average at 3000 feet altitude, with everything set at MAXIMUM detail, 4xS anti-aliasing (which hasn't reduced framerates at all from 2x using my old GeForce 2 GTS), and a resolution of 1024*768. This is using a 1.2Ghz Athlon Thunderbird, 512Mb PC-133 SDRAM, and a 64Mb GeForce 3 Ti 200 graphics card !This issue of framerates still annoys me, because I believe that I should be getting better from my PC. Let's face it, it isn't exactly a museum piece ! I don't know if having all three haze methods set to SPECULAR reduces framerates or not. Maybe someone else does ?Chris Low,ENGLAND.PS. Does everyone that uses my San Francisco STAR scenery get a 10 second freeze on take off or landing from Crissy Army Airfield with the Belvedere Island, Angel Island and Golden Gate Park packages installed ?

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I have an XP1900+ and the Ti500, so my system is a bit faster. But to crank out 50 FPS, I have to fly in the outter terrain region, or over the area north of Rio Vista.Here's a shot over Seattle, with full anisotropic, and 4x AA. Here, I push a more modest 20 FPS.As you can see, there's still some blur, because of the limitations of FU3, but the textures don't flicker or move at all.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Guest PaulL01

>I have an XP1900+ and the Ti500, so my system is a bit >faster. But to crank out 50 FPS, I have to fly in the outter >terrain region, or over the area north of Rio Vista. >>Here's a shot over Seattle, with full anisotropic, and 4x >AA. Here, I push a more modest 20 FPS. >>As you can see, there's still some blur, because of the >limitations of FU3, but the textures don't flicker or move >at all. You might have aniso enabled at the driver but FU is over-riding it, as clearly seen in your pic, or- are you guys sure that FU uses the D3D api?Also for Chris: The reason you dont see any FPS drop in AAx4s mode is because the GTS do not support this mode as they dont have the capability in the hardware.

"You might have aniso enabled at the driver but FU is over-riding it, as clearly seen in your pic, or- are you guys sure that FU uses the D3D api?"No, I'm sure Aniso is active and working, because the textures don't flicker and move around like they do without it.

MSFS / XP

Jimmi,I don't mean to sound critical here, but the textures in the lower right corner seem to show more evidence of something akin to bilinear filtering than anisotropic. I can clearly see a blurred texture next to a clear one, which is something that shouldn't happen with "aniso" (as Paul likes to call it). The textures should be blended together far better, and they should also be sharper in the distance.Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png