Sign in to follow this  

Stutters Short Survey ...

Hello all,Before I ask you to report some info , I wish to say that Flight 3 is absolute fantastic and it's close to perfection. What got my attention though is that while the frame speed is great , i can count numerous kind of little stutters every four - five seconds, and yes I have to admit it spoils a bit the fun when doing a pure sightseeing tour. What are your experiences with stutters and FU III ? Even the cockpit instrument light enabling gives a (very) short stutter , but notice-able, strange ... do you get the same result ?My system : Duron 800 Mhz , Via Kt 133A Mobo, 384 Mb , V5500 and the harddisk is a Mactor, 40 GB,7200 rpm, ATA133 (said the seller) but the Bios reports an ATA100 .Regards,Wouter

Wouter,I started to notice this recently. However, since my new GeForce 3 Ti 200 graphics card had just arrived, I decided to re-format my hard disk, and then re-install everything. This has cured the problem.I'm not suggesting that you do anything as drastic as that mentioned above, but it might be a good idea to defragment your hard disk. It seems that FU3 is rather sensitive to this kind of thing, so this may solve the problem.If not, well...........you could always re-format !Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest twsimfan

Wouter,I have a P3-933 w/384MB@133mhz & V5-5500 so my sys should get very similar perforance to yours. Your 100 vs 133 issue may indicate that while you have a 133mhz MoBo... you could have 100mhz memory?? I replaced all my 100mhz stuff with 133mhz after I replaced my MoBo.I get a stutter every once in a while... but not every few seconds... more like once every 10 or 15 minutes. It doesn't effect the cockpit instruments... that is a new one on me.Chris' defrag suggestion is a good one. I haven't defragged my D drive (where FU3 resides on my system) in ages... but FU3 was the first thing installed on it so it should be contiguous. I do defrag my C drive every 3 or 4 weeks so Windows is running smooth... that sort of thing is important for any demanding sim.

Tom,I just noticed that you have a perfect ratings list (9 feedbacks, 18 points), and yet I distinctly remember you getting a -2 rating from PaulL01 ! How did you get rid of this ? Or is it one of the perks of being a moderator ? :-lolChris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest twsimfan

Chris,Paul took exception to my response to his remarks. He went to Tom A with it and Tom removed all of it. Paul hasn't been back. All is well that ends well.

Hi Chris,Good suggestions! Though my copy of FU III came directly on a new and fresh formated HD , it was about the first program that I did install... The Windows 95 operating system installed his standard drivers , but I wanted more and used the Via 4 in 1 (1437) from the Via arena CD delivered together with the new Mobo. But since then my system has MS-DOS compatibility on all the drives, as is reported when viewing properties in "my computer" . Remarkable enough the HD access has remained the same comparing both drivers (standard Windows 95 drivers and Via's 4 in 1) and seems not stuck by that downgrading thing.What you and Tom report, is that there is the possibility to get not a stutter (image freesing moment) at all, except that isolated one, once in a while, and that is of course very good news ! I can hardly believe it ... :-) ... do you have done your housework good enough guys ! :-lol To be more precise , the stutters Iam speaking of , are of the very tiny ones 1/10 of a second, but are coming back in a much too high frequency , the biggest one of freesing moment could be a short 1/2 second and only when the Seattle downtown is loading.I am almost sure you and others must notice this when nearing the city , even with super smooth systems .I think this is what Tom is reporting when he wrote , "more like once every 10 or 15 minutes''Regards,WouterPS, congrats with your new toy, do you get now better framerates with your graphic card?

Hi TomThanks for your report !My memory is 384 MB PC -133 mhz, so perfectly fitting the KT 133A mobo . You wrote "I get a stutter once in a while ... but not every few second.. more like once every 10 or 15 minutes". Do you have an idea when this happened, and what did cause it...? I have to say that FU III, apart from my tiny,machine related ? stutters , given the extreme large texture and scenery files is running well , I have seen MS flight simulator 98/ 2000 on shows with problems running on very advanced stuff, stutters from many many seconds, especially nearing thresholds, spoiling much of the exhibition,could not suppress a big laughter :-lol long live FU III :-jumpy Best regards,Wouter

Wouter,I should be so lucky ! I didn't expect to get any framerate improvements, and I didn't get any. This is because FU3 is far more CPU intensive than GPU. The 4xS anti-aliasing has improved the graphics though.Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Chris,4x FSAA is eaten much framerate indeed, especially in the cloudy weather scenarios. If I may give an advice for better framerates:When planning to fly in that condition ,use 2x FSAA and put the "cumulusform visibility" slider ALWAYS half way , this is also the advice of "Peter the Great" James, this gives the best results together with the haze slider 50 or 60% (normaly the standard 30%) to the right, to avoid the sudden unreal blue skies.The cumulusform visibility slider is a real FRAME RATE CONTROLLER !Wouter

Guest PaulL01

That wasn't very nice Tom.He giveth, and he taketh...:)

Guest R_Driscoll

I have an old machine, and stutters are the natural order, along withframerates in the 5 to 15's. But one common cause of stutter notmentioned here is recomputing haze - this is manually set in the flt3.cfg file in several places:(following text can be cut and added to your flt3.cfg file if itis not already there)MaxHazeDelta 0.05; A full haze recalculation is triggered when the local haze conditions change; by a "delta" value. The smaller the value, the more frequent the recalculation.terrain_delta_time 10; This represents how often, in seconds, the terrain will recompute its haze and shading.; Higher numbers will improve your performance at the cost of "jumpy" haze effects.haze_delta_time 10; This represents how often, in seconds, haze in general is recomputed. Higher numbers; will improve your performance at the cost of "jumpy" haze effects.(not just haze - also puff clouds and a few others:)puff_gridHazeCalcTime 4puff_gridHazeCalcTimeVariation 2; Haze calc frequency for puffs (default 4, 2).Backdrop_HazeTimeDelta 3Backdrop_HazeTimeVariation 1; How often backdrop haze is calculated (defaults 3, 1).CloudModel_HazeDistDeltaUpdateTime 7; When under cumuliform clouds, their bases get hazed specially. When these; values are smaller, their update frequency increases, and framerate decreases.; Defaults Dist=1024, Time (seconds)=10, Delta=3CloudModel_HazeTimeDelta 20CloudModel_HazeDistDelta 100; Rate at which the chunks hazes are computed. Smaller values yield more frequent; computation (defaults 20 sec and 100).(etc)(For continuous update, some of these times have a refreshalways option - I don't know which ones do and which ones don't. One that works is:)sky_refreshalways Anyway, that might not be the problem - it affects my cludgy oldfoot pedalled machine (at approx 500 MHz). But you could always fly in clear weather and test this.Above flt3.cfg notes adapted from Peter the Great's original notes.Robert.Australia.Sydney.

Guest twsimfan

Paul,How very adult of you. You didn't need to lock up you ratings before slamming me again. I would not have bothered. You will have no problems from me as long as you behave yourself in this forum... and you have been... lately.

Robert,I will have a try with your cfg notes.Thanks for your post.Regards,Wouter