Sign in to follow this  
adams

forum

I wonder, when FU forum started ? Tom are you from the begining ?B.Adamski

Your post has reminded me that it was July last year that I joined the AVSIM FU3 Forum, and it was easily one of the best decisions of my life. I came looking for like minded flight simmers, got a friendly kick up the backside from Hennie, and started developing a very long line of scenery upgrades.It's been a great year, and I want to thank everyone for making this forum such a friendly place to visit. Let's hope that the FU3 scene is even more alive a year from now !Best Wishes,Chris Low,ENGLAND.Oh yes........back to Bogdan's question. I too would like to know when the FU3 Forum here "took off".

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Well, I went back to look how far back I had evidence of a forum for Flight Unlimited.The current forums we are using now opened to the public on March 6, 2001 and this forum was here from the beginning as it was carried over from the forums we were using before that. The forum was named the Flight Unlimited 3 forum previously and the messages there date back to July 25, 2000, which is when we first started using the DCForum software, just an earlier version. And before all that, we had the Flight Unlimited forum about the time frame of FU2's release. We don't still have those posts archived, so I can't give you a date that started, but as you can see, we've been trying to support a forum for the FU series for quite some time. :-)

Guest twsimfan

Bogdan,"I wonder, when FU forum started ? Tom are you from the begining ?"Referring to Scott's post... I remember at least 2 forum systems prior to the 1st incarnation of DC Forums. Scott says that this forum (in it's earlier forms) started around the time of the release of FU2... and I'm sure he knows what he is talking about. I first stumbled onto AVSIM and it's forums in the months leading up to the release of FU3 (probably approx 6 or 7 months before the actual release... about the time of the 1st scheduled release date). Let me just say that in my opinion AVSIM was not YET the best flight sim oriented site at that time (all good things take some time to develop)... and that applies to the forums as well. I visited a few times and basically wrote them off. I was frequenting 3 other FU forums then... (and a number of FS or other sim related forums)... flightsim.com, the LG FU3 forum... & a fan run site (all of which IMHO were better AT THAT TIME). The fan run forum died out over time... LG yanked the FU3 forum not long before EA yanked LG... &... well... lets just say that in my opinion the flightsim.com one went way down hill... first it digenerated to infighting amoung various groups... then it got to be really petty (keep in mind these are only my opinions).I drifted away from all forums for a while. I stopped by here one day for the heck of it and discovered that this forum had matured under the leadership of Frank Betts (SP?). He had built it into a far better forum than all those others put together (IMHO). The main thing that seemed to set this forum apart was that Frank did not tollerate the infighting.I noticed another thing when I dropped by... 2 threads about me?!? Stuff like "What ever became of Tom Wunder?" or "We need Tom's input... he was always outspoken about FU3!"Well I have always had a big mouth... they were right about that. So with a forum covering two of my favorite subjects (FU3 & me) I couldn't help but join in ;-). After a while Frank wanted out to pursue his other interests so one day Scott took note of the fact that I always seemed to have an opinion on everything (my big mough again) and asked me to take over. Frank has stopped by from time to time... always a highlight for me... and it has gone on from there. I have been the moderator since somewhere in the September to November 2000 time frame. The exact date is fuzzy... Eric & I were very busy with our development on the Beaver & Baron 2.0 during that same time period.We have had a few low points... Darax & Learron come to mind... but there have been some really good times as well. Getting to know folks like Wayne, the Daniels, Allan, Cristian, & Gideon to name just a few (sorry to all those I didn't mention). My collaboration with Eric Weber was a great experience. Our chat sessions have been loads of fun. And getting to be close friends with FlyBert has been an extra bonus. It has been good!You have to be careful with me... you ask me a simple question and you just might get a book for an answer! :-lol I hope that the answer and the forum meet with your approval! ;-)

Thank you both, Scott & Tom for the answer. I really didn't expect so a big bit of the history, but it's nice to read it ( independently of my English ). I was asking about FU ( not FU3 ) forum, so July 25, 2002 is very close time of the second anniversary of this forum.I've joined here about March, April 2001.BTW, is it possible ( and how ) to search old forum ?B.Adamskips. I know 'IMO', but what's IMHO ?

Bogdan,I think that IMHO stands for "in my HUMBLE opinion".I wish that I knew the exact date that I joined the FU3 Forum here in July last year. I could make it a special day with lots of lickle cakes and............Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Go to the old forum & try to search July 01.B. Adamski