Sign in to follow this  

FU 1 scenery

I was just wondering if anyone of you scenery developers had considered using some of the photoreal scenery from FU 1. I remember the upstate New York scenery looked great. Is it possible to use these files in FU III?Jerry

Is it still possible to get FU I? My cousins live in upstate NY and I know the area from having spent several months there. Will it run on a Win 98 (or later) OS or is it pure DOS?Hans Petter

Guest Robert_S

Hans,There are two versions of it, both DOS and Win95. But I have no idea of its availability. It's probably easier to find than either FU2 or FU3, why this is I don't know. It's common to find it in "shovelware" packs, bundles of three or four games for little money.But unless I'm way off-base here, I should point out that while the various flight areas have names like "New York" or whatever, I think the actual scenery is imaginary. Take a look at the second image in agtim's post... a bit symmetrical, eh? And when actually flying, it feels like you're flying around a microscopic planet who's diameter could be measured in yards... if you keep flying straight, the scenery repeats itself within about a minute of flight, or even less.This all sounds critical, but that's not my intention here. It was and is a fine simulation... of aerobatic flight, not upstate New York! :-) And I'd recommend it highly for any FU fan or any flightsim fan who wants a nice representation of aerobatic flight. I'll take a quick look around my list of retail sources and see if it's still listed anywhere.~Bob~http://www.avsim.com/other/usaribbon.gif

I have DOS version, WIN 98 & it runs with no problems ( with patch installed ).B.Adamski

Guest juvat2

Hi Agtim,The work you've done with FU1's scenery is interesting. I fired up FU1 and went sight-seeing at various locations, and am thinking that in the least, they would make for some nice texturing in the outer region. Specifically, I noticed FU1 scenery is for the most part "brown". That would go nicely in the semi-desert areas.Gotta get my tile generating working again so I can investigate further.Take care,JIm B.

Thanks Andre'I had asked this question a couple of years ago and was told it couldn't be done.I'm always amazed at the talent and the willingness to create for FU III. Your work is much appreciated.Was the supposed upstate New York hill scenery really make believe? I thought it looked extremely real.Jerry

The scenery in FU1 is real satelite scenery, just like FU2 and FU3. However, the areas are only about 12x12 miles each, that's why it repeats itself quickly. FU3 Sanfran and Seattle regions are 100x100 miles I think(?).

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP