Sign in to follow this  
Guest Quaxo

To Pete (Motormouse) - Help on UK airports

Guest Quaxo

I've taken screenshots of all the airports in the part of UK I've done. Some of them I have identified (like Lee-on-the-Solent, Stansted, Southampton, Bembridge) but of the others I don't know the name. I'm attaching the screenshots (they're FLED screenshots, so North is at the top). Can you tell what airports they are?Thanks,Cristian

Guest Motormouse

Can you help me out a bit here, and post a 'zoomed out' screenshot for each so I can see a bit more of the local area? And how far is the total area covered N,S E & W ?The top shot is Bembridge IOW, the 440yard STOL strip for the BN Group to test Islanders is angled off to one side.Photo 8 (from top) is Southampton Airport.The large airport (photo 9) looks like London-Gatwick,but from the screenshot its a few degrees out of true alignment?The grass field with two runways is either Hullavington OR Upavon,and you've also got either Colerne, or Wroughton in there too.ThanksPete

Cristian,Based on my UK2000 scenery for FS2002, the airports are as follows:-1. Bembridge, Isle of Wight.2.3.4. Chichester-Goodwood.5. Lee-on-Solent.6.7.8. Southampton.9. London Stansted.10.11.12.Well, I thought that this would be easy, but so far that's all I can tell you !Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest Quaxo

Here are the zoomed out pics. (Thanks Chris, you're right on every airport, you just missed all the difficult ones ;-) )The region goes more or less from Christchurch to the W, to Brighton to the E, to Southampton to the N.The first airport is E of Portsmouth.The second is near Littlehampton.The third is near Shoreham-by-sea.The fourth, fifth, sixth are all W of Southampton, not far off the coast.Can you tell me more exactly where is the 400 ft strip to test the STOL Islanders?Thank you,Cristian

Guest Motormouse

Hello Cristian I've filled in the gaps in Chris's list, (thanks Chris,I was wrong at a couple of my first guesses!!)here is the rundown,with a little historical backgound too:1. Bembridge, Isle of Wight.(see screenshot for the STOL strip)2. Disused wwII relief landing ground at Stoney Cross,New Forest3. Disused wwII relief landing ground at Emery Down,New Forest,part of what remains is used by New Forest Gliding club4. Chichester-Goodwood. (formerly RAF Westhampnett)5. Lee-on-Solent. ( formerly Royal Navy Airstation,HMS Daedelus, now home only to HM Coastguard SAR Helicopter flight.)6. Disused wwII relief landing ground at Boldre (sometimes called Beaulieu Heath),New Forest.7. RAF Thorney Island,now used by the Army,(Royal Artillery),to the best of my knowledgethe runway is kept serviceable,so the army types can be transported direct from their base.Also used for gliding and R/C model flying.Was 'second' base to the RAF fleet of C130 Hercules,until all Hercules were transferred to Lyneham in early 1970's8. Southampton.9. London Stansted.10.Shoreham International Airport (EGKA), (yes,really! It has one of the last remaining 'art deco' style1930's terminal buildings)11.Disused Royal Navy Airstation Ford, was active until the 1960's.Guide to Bembridge:Stol strip (outlined in red),linked to the main 800yd runway and BN factory by taxiway (in yellow)Small atc tower/fbo building outlined in red.Grass landing strip for gliders of Vectis Gliding Club (outlined in blue),VGC hangar highlighted.sometimes used by light,single engine planes when wind is in wrong direction for main runway,but its use is entirely discretionary because it gets wet and boggy,and a public footpathcuts across it as well !Hope this helps, :-wavePete

That's why I couldn't identify the rest. Most of them are disused, and aren't part of Gary Summons' UK2000 scenery.Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest Motormouse

:-lol,Thanks for the start though Chris!!ahem,officially speaking,both Thorney Island and Lee-on-Solent are under 'care and maintenance',ie the runways will be maintained in a serviceable state (that just means it will be weeded occasionally), just in case the military want to use them again sometime.:-wavePete