Sign in to follow this  
Guest R_Driscoll

Gliding

Guest R_Driscoll

Thanks to glidernut for the evario! I have at last installed and am using it, and the bit about restarting your flight where you left off is a breakthrough for FU3 - now long flights can be planned (and I think all gliding implies long flights).Only one flight so far - took off from Gray's AirForce Base, motored to the mountains west of the Olympia airport, and (after stopping the program for dinner) hung around there as the sun set. The plane's still up there - I had to go to bed. Over 90% of time gliding, using the default glider (old instrument panel). I love gliding around the hills further west - some of those steep hills are like express elevators. And I have glided from lower slopes to over the top of Mt Rainier - again some powerful updrafts - but that was before installing the evario. I don't like the noise - to me gliding is to do with wind noise and peace - work is stressful enough, but I turn it on as an audio indication when I'm in F4 view or just admiring the scenery. I haven't tried the additional airports or different sound package yet - one thing at a time.I still thoroughly enjoy this young sim. Largely thanks to the amazing addons of course.See ya round

It's funny that I've been playing FU3 since it came out (and FU2 before that), but I've still mostly been doing "normal" PointA-PointB flights during daytime. I recently re-discovered FU3 by setting up a night flight.After I master night flying I'll have to try gliding too. It sounds fun and very rewarding. If would ever get the chance to fly in real life (which I probably won't, but one can always dream...), I'd fly an Ultralight or a glider, or possibly something like the C182/172. Those jetliners and big, fast planes in general don't ineterest me as much. To me, that is not as much about the freedom of flying, but more it is about monitoring instruments and following strict procedures.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Guest R_Driscoll

Gliding in FU3 is great fun. But hard work too - hunting for the updrafts - I'm getting better at it. The biggest problem is switching from power to gliding - packing up the motor, closing the dome etc.The program likes you to do that very carefully - I have bent dozens of propellors so far! Follow the manual ;-)Its a new world - very different from A-B flying - give it a try!RObert.

Guest juvat2

Hi,I agree, his glider challenge is a neat package. I've watched his glider bbx many times, trying to duplicate his ability of rolling downhill and getting lift. I've gotten airborne a couple of times, but just a few feet then loose lift. His save location trick is real handy. I've found a location that I'm adding models too, creating my own little glider base. I've given up on the one on Vancouver Isl till I can get my Fu3 to be able to generate outer tiles again.Have you all taken the glider up near Mt Constance and Mt Anderson? They make for some really nice gliding. Dow Mtn and the ranges north are nice as well. Some very challenging tight spots where the high res meets the o/t ranges. When I successfully land (which is rare for me) the congratulatory wav's are nice to.I've been catting around in Hennies Microwing. That little thing's a blast. The first time ever I've stayed in F4 view. You feel very vulerable in it. Maybe I'll use it in the bigfoot challenge; add in the bigfoot wav as well. That should spicen' up that challenge real nicely.Back to fled.You all take care,Jim B.

Guest glidernut

Hi Robert,Iill have to put you right on one or tow things.The ferst one to get a chalange script to tacke off from where youleft off, was Dexter at http://www.dextech.com/products/flightdfxThat was well over a yer ago. But I lost that script and I thort the way of doing it was lost forgood.But Dexter did anuther chalang mor reesently with the same (tacke off from where you left off) feecher in the script.I tride to isolate this feecher with a vew to useing it in the gliderchalange but Steffen beet me to it.Steffen found a beter way of doing the same thing, so I carnt clameany credit for the scripting of the glider chalange.The credit for that gose to Steffen.I did do the bird sounds when your on the ground thow.The bird sounds you have are only 16 bit monoe, thay had to be likethat otherwise thay would have been too big to uplowd.The birds Im useing are in stereo with the volume terned up.My naber thinks Iv got an avery.As for pushing the right knobs and leevers in the right order toclose the dome with out brakeing the prop and it giving me the V sine,I dont bother.I just use the "Ctrl" "e" By the way, thanks for giving us sum of the models from sanfran touse in seattle.How did you do that ?glidernut:-wave

Guest glidernut

Hy Robert,Is this a model of a flyover from sanfran ?and did YOU put it in seattl ?If yes, HOW ?

Guest R_Driscoll

I did pinch some models from San Fran for Seattle, because when I started using FLED there was so little out there for filling in terrain. The original McChord had radars, submarines and F16's from San Fran.But all I did was extract the models with the editor challenge tools and Tomi Lehto's brilliant little programs for FU2 - often the models and textures had to be extracted separately from modelmip.tag. These are documented at his web site:http://www.ratol.fi/~tlehto/fu2/fu2stuff.html.The problem with this is that the palettes are wrong (look at the ugly f16's at McChord for an example) - I deleted the sub, radar, etc as a result. I don't have any method for converting the palettes. But some of them were close enough to leave in.Thanks for your comments, but especially for making gliding more fun.Actually I'm still on my first flight since getting your package - haven't crashed, loads of fuel still, gone from Olympia to the big mountains north of there, just flying a couple of hours every few nights. I haven't chomped the props off for a long time, and I never use CTRL-E. Ahh, there's hope yet...

Visit my page to read, how to use the SF models in the Seattle region.www.geocities.com/adamsbpl/FU/FU3/models.htmB.Adamski