Sign in to follow this  
JimmiG

I have to do this more often!

I just had the perfect flight!After another day at work, I got home, had dinner, and then I had LOTS of tea. I then went to my computer room, turned out all the lights, and fired up FU3.I chose the C182 SCH, because it's slow and the visibility out the cockpit is good, just what I needed for this flight. I started from Bonny Doon at 23:30, some clouds, medium haze, summer, half-moon. I followed the coast up to Half Moon Bay, then turned in over the city of San Francisco. I made a couple of complete circuits over the city. I didn't want to land and make it stop, I probably spent an hour flying back and forth over the area. Then I went on to land at Livermoore. The atmosphere and feeling you get when playing FU3 is quite amazing. The haze, the lights, the clouds, sounds and the sky colors are all perfect.I was going to post screenshots, but they didn't turn out as dramatic as the flight truly was. Just some yellow points of light and blackness That's probably why most photos are taken during the day :)We'll see if I post a few of them anyway.If you haven't done it in a while, you have to fly at night. It is very different from flying during daylight.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Guest jonpoint

Jimmy,I agree with you 100%. I literally 'rediscovered' FU3 by flying at night! I'd never really done it then one night I decided to fly the Beechjet from Arcata to Seattle and I'd loaded Laurie's 'sunset' cfg file. Takeoff at sunset was sweet and I turned north and set course for SEA. Imagine my surprise as I began descending towards SEA and the ground underneath became alive! My next flight was from Ranger Creek and, as I 'sat' in the Baron going through the checklist, I saw a set of car headlights drive past!This all changed my appreciation of FU3 - for many flights afterwards I only flew at night. I still prefer approaches in the early dusk - you can recognise the scenery but the airport lights look so inviting! You can almost imagine all those people commuting back home along the freeways...Ah, a wonderful sim it is!Jon Point*************************(effyouthree@hotmail.com)*************************

Guest jonpoint

Sorry, forgot the screenshots!Just love that sunset...Jon Point*************************(effyouthree@hotmail.com)*************************

Guest Quaxo

Hi Jon, great shots!Where did you get thet Ryanair livery for the Beechjet? I WANT it !!!! :)Cristian

Unfortunately, I'm not enjoying night flight anymore in FU3. The lights shimmer a lot although I have full AA and aniso thrown in with the GF4. Pity. Now I only fly daytime.

Am I the only one who got Aniso working here? The lights are almost perfectly fine on my Ti500 with 4x FSAA and Level8 anisotropic under Windows XP detonator 29.42...the flicker a tiny bit, but nowhere near as much as they did without aniso.Here are some screenshots. Not from the flight in the Cessna, but from a flight I did today. A bit earlier at night this time, so it's not pitch black. Still you should turn out the lights in the room to enjoy these :)First shot is the Renegade on a flight towards ranger creek. I'm afraid of dark forests, and when I landed at Ranger Creek I got that same feeling of being alone and helpless :)The rest are from the flight I did from Ranger Creek to Renton in the Baron.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Guest Quaxo

Thanks Pete... Got it!!!Cristian

Naji, are you saying that your GF4 doesn't support FU3's night scenery? I tend to prefer dawn or dusk, dark enough to get the night atmosphere yet with enough light to tell land from water and mountains from sky. FU3 can really get pitch black at night. If I load a flight and the light level proves to be less than I want I may cheat by holding down "D" and toggle through the hours until I get sunrise or sunset.Hans Petter