Sign in to follow this  
Guest cornclose

Voodoo5 Problems...

Guest cornclose

As this forum has its fair share of Voodoo5 users, I wonder if any of you could cast your eye over this post I made at voodoofiles.net forum and give me any ideas :->>I bit long this story, but any help appreciated :-Upgraded my old mobo (a PCChips M577 with k6-2 550) to a new Gigabyte 7ZXE (with an Athlon XP 1800+ CPU). I had my Voodoo 5500 PCI in the old system and it worked well.I put the V5 into the new system, boot, and I get nothing, it shows nothing on screen, I get no beep codes from the new mobo. I try a GF2 GTS AGP in the new mobo (and take out the V5) and everything is fine. I set the 'VGA to boot' to PCI with the V5 and it still does not work. Even if this is set to PCI, the system WILL boot from the AGP slot with the GF2.So, I try the V5 in another older mobo (a P200MMX system). It does not work. Nothing on screen, but this time a get a beep code, one long and two short beeps (which means video error). So I put two PCI video cards into this P200MMX system, and it boots from the old S3 card it had as before. I flash the V5 with 1.16 BIOS and it flashes OK. I take out the S3 card, and leave the V5 in. I boot, and the V5 is detected, so now I know that the V5 is working and will POST OK.I take the V5 out and try it again in my new system, and exactly the same thing happens, it won't POST, nothing on screen, no beep codes. I take out the V5 and try again in the oldler system, same thing as before, I have to flash the V5.It seems like the new board is corrupting the V5 BIOS or something. Anyone know what the #### is going on please ?Thanks<http://website.lineone.net/~flightsimukAvoid AGP texturing = Better Performance ;)

This is probably way to basic but have you installed the correct drivers and connected the cooling fan on the Voodoo card? I may seem that your OS is trying to run the Voodoo card on incompatible drivers. It's always a good idea to uninstall previous drivers when switching video cards, redetect hardware and reinstall the correct drivers for the card. But then, since it does work on other motherboards this is probably not the cause of your problem :-shy Hans Petter

Guest cornclose

Hans Petter,The V5 is not even detected by the mobo BIOS on initial power-on. Have not even got to the driver stage yet. I know the card is not faulty as I have had it running in my previous system for over a year, just doesn't seem to like this new mobo.Oh, I thought I'd mention also that the same problem exists in the new mobo even when I try different PCI slots...Chris Ehttp://website.lineone.net/~flightsimukAvoid AGP texturing = Better Performance ;)

Guest juvat2

Hi Chris,I've had the same thing happen to me on 3 different mobos, hopefully the steps I had to go through with the type of hardware my system uses will be of some help to you. Mobo's were a Compaq Presario 4784, Asus A7V-133 and the one I'm using now, a Aopen AK73 Pro(a). I also have a v5-pci. You are getting a bios display at all with the v5? If not, your method of installing the S3 card, or any video card that allows a display is the thing to do. Myself I had to use an S3, then later my v3-3000 to get a display.I found I had an irq conflict. Both the modem and sound card were conflicting with the v5. Get your bios display with the s3 card. Take a look at the bios and if your having the same problem as I've had, you'll see the conflict in the irq settings. I have a sblive x-gamer sound card and a supra max 56i. I have had to set the irq for the sound card as legacy device. Ensure the modem is in the last pci slot, the sound card in the 3rd to last pci slot. Mobo set to "assigning irq" (not the OS). Turn-off agp in the mobo bios. Of course, the v5 is in the slot next to the agp slot. Do you have on-board sound? Ensure its disabled in the bios.Not meaning to offend you, just going through the "steps".Go to windows, install the v5 soft ware. Shutdown. Unplug the power cord. Fully install the v5. Power back up. Should be able to get all the way to your os. The display should still be the ugly basic video display. Your os reports it has detected new hardware, "do you want to install it?". "Yes". Hopefully after all this your V5 is fully functional.Here's my system specs. These days, its pretty much low-tech.Win98SE, 383 meg ram PC133, V5-5500 PCI, Sound Blaster Live X-gamer, Supra Max 56i modem, C:Maxtor ATA100 40gig, D:Maxtor ATA133 60gig,DX8(a), Aopen AK73 Pro(a) mobo, 300w ps, MS SW 3D Pro.Take Care,JIm B.

Guest cornclose

Thanks Jim,I'll look into the BIOS a little more deeply, but in essence I still have P&P OS set to 'Yes' and all resources controlled by 'Auto'.Whilst in Windows (98SE) using my GF2 GTS (AGP) I have IRQ's 3, 4 and 5 free (I disabled both com ports as I never use them). The standard IRQ's are used for the rest of the stuff (14,15 HDD controllers etc).I have only my Realtek NIC and Aztech modem sharing IRQs (9), the GF2 on IRQ 11, USB on 10.On my previous SS7 mobo, I had pretty much the same config, with the V5 on IRQ 5. On this mobo, nothing was sharing IRQs, which is the way I like it.The new mobo manual says PCI slots 1&5 are shared, but it does not say which PCI slot is shared with the AGP slot, but I have assumed it to be slot 4 as when I put other cards into this slot (sound card/NIC etc) it shares the same IRQ with AGP card.I won't have chance now to experiment any more until Sunday night/Monday, so watch this space, and thanks for your feedback.RegardsChris Ehttp://website.lineone.net/~flightsimukAvoid AGP texturing = Better Performance ;)