Sign in to follow this  
Guest Dann

Reality Check

Guest Dann

Peter,I'll add that line; I'd heard of it but never used it.I've never leaned the mixture on rapid decents, usually I'm having too much fun zooming around ground objects to worry about it!Dan

usually I'm having too much fun zooming around ground objects to worry about it!:-lolI'll add that line; I'd heard of it but never used it.To see if it's working, taxi onto the grass. The controller should say something to the effect of: "You're not in an all-terrain vehicle". He usually has a couple of snide remarks so your mileage may vary.I'll leave it up to you to find other ways to torment the controllers.

I'd say it's not. When you descend you want to move towards full rich lest the engine(s) may die on you the moment you need them the most.If you fail to lean as you ascend the engine(s) will soot, clog up and misfire but fuel economy aside, that's less dangerous than descending on a lean setting. If you forget to go full rich before final the engine(s) may typically stutter and die the moment you throttle up to fix a "short" final. However, a "clean" engine that dies because of getting the wrong fuel/air ratio will start again the moment you get the mixture right, due to the "windmilling effect" acting just like a push-start of a vehicle with a faulty starter / drained battery.Hans Petter

Makes perfect sense to me. Apparently the mixture wasn't lean enough to go out but with the denser air at lower altitudes, that's definitely an issue. Guess my engine will just have to grin a bear with the temperature change! :-lolThanks Hans

Guest PeterK

from PeterK If you ride in or even get the chance to fly a real (small plane)like a cessna 150 or even somthing larger your going to be awakened by the complexity or running machinery and using the radio and dealing with the clumsyness of tha aircraft on the groundand the feel of the controlls...In a real plane you feel the windon those control surfaces and lean that engine out and you feelthe engine respond just like running a lawn mower...you know when its running wrong... Do i fly them real,,,no...I would have blown up a real engine and ripped the flaps off a long time ago...peterK